Author Topic: David King assistant coach & Steve Alessio ruck coach?  (Read 3117 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
David King assistant coach & Steve Alessio ruck coach?
« on: October 27, 2004, 02:15:33 AM »
By Stephen Rielly, Caroline Wilson
realfooty.theage.com.au
October 27, 2004

The Tigers have moved closer to luring dual Kangaroos premiership player David King as an assistant coach.

New coach Terry Wallace and his football director Greg Miller held talks with King yesterday in a bid to secure an agreement with the recently retired All-Australian to work a four-day week at the club along with some media commitments.

And former Essendon ruckman Steven Alessio also could come on board as the Tigers' first official ruck coach for some years. Alessio, who works for the Melbourne Cricket Club, was also interviewed by Richmond yesterday.

With Wallace's former assistant Brian Royal moving from the Kangaroos to Richmond and David Wheadon re-assuming his assistant coaching role at the club, King would complete the team as an offensive coach.

Wallace is also believed to be keen to introduce a younger mentor into his football department.

It is believed that the Tigers - who will lose at least $2.5 million this season and have been forced to cut costs in the football department - have asked King to work with Wallace three days a week and on matchdays.

While the 32-year-old has been weighing up whether to pursue a career outside football, he favours remaining in the industry and has indicated his interest to the club.

Ironically, the former Kangaroo's income could be supplemented by him replacing Wallace in his Saturday night commentary role at 3AW.

And in a further irony, his main competition to join Dwayne Russell's Saturday night team is former Richmond coach Danny Frawley.

With the Tigers to play only two Saturday night games next season, King has been sounded out by 3AW chief Shane Healy, who confirmed he had been placed on a shortlist to replace Wallace on Saturday nights.

"We've spoken with David and tried him out a few times and have been pretty impressed with his commentary," said Healy last night.

"He has the right credentials and media smarts to work as a commentator."

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/10/26/1098667759152.html
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 02:24:53 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: David Kind assistant coach & Steve Alessio ruck coach?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 02:22:22 AM »
I didn't mind Kingy as a player, he might be ok. Would have liked Maguane though.

How do we feel about Alessio as ruck coach, could work as a Sheedy spy behind the scenes, I wouldn't put it past the Sheeds to try this.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: David King assistant coach & Steve Alessio ruck coach?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 03:24:33 AM »
Always was a fan of Kingy as a player too RR. A mixture of mongruel from his old Port Melbourne days with spirit and talent. Something we badly lack in our blokes.

Alessio always came across to me as one of these bombers who was around for years  without setting the world on fire. More a ruckman who was adequate in providing a contest and did the job Sheedy asked of him. I have no idea what he'd be like as a ruck coach. At least we're trying to get a ruck coach this year and one who was actually a ruckman.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 03:35:31 AM »
Yeah and I suppose the other plus points are that they both are comming from winning environments, so they'll expect and demand a winning attitude. Could be good :thumbsup
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 07:24:13 AM »
Anyone would be better than Stewie Loewe. :banghead

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 07:29:59 AM »
King would complete the team as an offensive coach.

He would be the right choice because to me King was always the most offensive player going around. 8) I'm sure he could teach our youngsters how to go into packs with their knees and how to rub opponents heads as they run past them.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 09:40:11 AM »
Alessio always came across to me as one of these bombers who was around for years  without setting the world on fire. More a ruckman who was adequate in providing a contest and did the job Sheedy asked of him. I have no idea what he'd be like as a ruck coach. At least we're trying to get a ruck coach this year and one who was actually a ruckman.

How novel - a ruck coach that was a ruckman. The last person we had who was a ruck coach and an actual ruckman was Scott Wynd - who Frawley bought in 2000 & 2001 (I think).

The one thing that Alessio has in his favour is he recently out of the game so he understands the current ruck rules. I agree that he was one of those players who never really controlled a game but at least he played in a successful team and at the moment the more people around our young players who have been successful the better.

He would be the right choice because to me King was always the most offensive player going around. 8)

I was never a fan of David King - always thought of him as an arrogant "so 'n' so" but he is straight out of the game and played under Pagan so he would know about discipline and discipline has been sorely lacking for too long

« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 01:59:20 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Miller on SEN - Alessio is our new ruck coach
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 01:32:41 PM »
Miller was on SEN with KB this morning:

* Alessio has got the gig as our ruck coach.
* He was very impressed with David King in the interview they had. So it sounds like it's a strong possibility he'll be assistant coach at Tigerland.
* Zantuck will most likely be heading off. 
*  Interested in McKee (I only caught KB's summary about this and he said we were hot-to-trot over McKee).
* Wheadon on top of his role as opposition analyst and helping with recruiting will also help out at training.
* Miller said everyone will need to do extra roles than before.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 01:36:52 PM by mightytiges »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Miller on SEN - Alessio is our new ruck coach
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 02:05:59 PM »
Miller was on SEN with KB this morning:

* Alessio has got the gig as our ruck coach.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh a ruck coach  :bow :bow

* He was very impressed with David King in the interview they had. So it sounds like it's a strong possibility he'll be assistant coach at Tigerland.

I reckon this is just about a given now - first Caro now Greg Miller (though if must of been hard for Caro writing something that wasn't super negative, though had to throw in the finances again - old news Caro)

* Zantuck will most likely be heading off. 

:o :o - never had guessed  ;)

*  Interested in McKee (I only caught KB's summary about this and he said we were hot-to-trot over McKee).
Hot-to-trot - is that like "dancing with the stars"  :P

* Wheadon on top of his role as opposition analyst and helping with recruiting will also help out at training.

Tezza is a big rap for Dave Wheadon and Dave Wheadon has great footy smarts - this is great  :thumbsup :bow :thumbsup
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 02:07:58 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 03:23:31 PM »
WTF was Wheadon doing last year ?  Did Spud instruct him to collect witches hats ?
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 03:46:00 PM »
WTF was Wheadon doing last year ? 

Opposition analyst with a bit of recruiting chucked in.

Did Spud instruct him to collect witches hats ?

I believe Spud had most of the squad wear witches hats at training to simulate matchday conditions  ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 03:48:23 PM by mightytiges »

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
Alessio joins the Tigers
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 04:33:10 PM »
Alessio joins the Tigers
27 October, 2004
richmondfc.com.au

Richmond has strengthened its new coaching panel, headed by Terry Wallace, with the appointment of former Essendon ruckman Steve Alessio as its ruck coach.

Alessio, 33 next month, retired from AFL football at the end of the 2003 season after a 184-game career with the Bombers, including the 2000 premiership.

He spent the 2004 season as an assistant coach at Essendon’s VFL affiliate, the Bendigo Bombers, but was keen to further his coaching career in 2005.

Richmond did not have a ruck coach in ’04, but Wallace was keen to bolster that area with a recently-retired player from a successful football background.

Alessio will assist the Tigers at training sessions and on match days throughout the ’05 season in his part-time role.

Meanwhile, Richmond is still finalising the appointment of another assistant coach to join Wallace’s coaching panel of Brian Royal, David Wheadon and now Alessio.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=176226
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
David King on board - SEN yesterday
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 10:51:44 AM »
I was driving home last night I heard David King being interviewed on SEN.

They congratulated him on his new job as assistant coach at the Tigers and he said thanks very much....

I reckon it is fair to assume he's got the gig ;D

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
It's Official David King assistant coach
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2004, 01:25:24 PM »
Tiger King!
11:57:08 AM Fri 29 October, 2004
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

New Richmond coach Terry Wallace has finalised his coaching team for 2005 with the appointment of dual Kangaroos premiership player David King.

The 32-year-old King, who announced his retirement from AFL football at the end of the 2004 season after 241 games, has taken on an assistant coaching role at Tigerland.

He joins a panel of assistants which also comprises Brian Royal, David Wheadon, and former Essendon premiership player, Steve Alessio, who was appointed Richmond’s ruck coach earlier this week.

“Terry was particularly keen to add some recently-retired premiership players to the group,” said Richmond’s Director of Football, Greg Miller.

“He believes David King and Steve Alessio will provide a more recent perspective on the game and that they’ll add significantly to his team.”

Miller, who was CEO at the Kangaroos during King’s time there, also is convinced that he will be a valuable addition to the Richmond coaching panel.

“I’m sure all Tiger fans would be aware of David from his actions on the field – not the least being his vocal attitude to playing footy,” Miller said.

“He brings with him plenty of enthusiasm and a great knowledge of the game, which he’s keen to pass on to the younger brigade at Richmond.

King, a key member of the Kangaroos’ 1996 and 1999 premiership sides, will be involved with the Tigers three full days per week plus match days during 2005. He will supplement his income with some football media work.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=176409

Offline Crumden

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2004, 08:16:35 PM »
If we are looking at McKee then lets hope Alessio is a bloody good ruck coach.