Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 925475 times)

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #3120 on: February 08, 2012, 04:52:23 PM »
To be perfectly honest, a lot was going on and I can't remember a lot.  If somebody else posted a rough outline of the second half of the training, I'd be able to chip in with my two cents, but the entire squad was out there, and they were doing a lot of different drills.  It's hard to remember.  Here's a report of the first half of training, which is spot on.  I can't add anything to it.

Source: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23322142&postcount=397

"Wednesday training opened with a what I think was a 5 minute time trial of sorts, they set up a running track just inside the boundary line around punt rd oval, they had all the big KP players in orange vests starting on one wing and another group of the smaller HF and HB types including Posty on the opposite wing, they then started a pursuit time trial, the big surprise for me here was the ease at which Posty was running, he lead the group of smaller players by a fair margin and ate up a few of the orange vested stragglers in Darrou and Wright (who looked like they were running in sand by the end), seems the hard work is really paying off for the Postman. Brad Miller was the clear leader of the orange vested boys, followed by Maric, Graham and Riewoldt. When the trial had ended Some of the guys like Graham went down on their haunches and Jack yelled out “Stand up!” and straight away they all did, he’s quite a leader on the track.

Now the mids set up in a similar way, on the far wing the top runners all had the orange and red vests on, while Rance lead the white team from the other wing which included Dusty, the standouts in orange vests were definitely Ellis, who lead White for nearly 3 laps before White took off and lead by a fair margin, Jackson also performed well and Cotch placed in the middle of the orange team, Newman finished last. Ellis has a great tank for a first year player.

The big shock for me was how much Dusty seemed to struggle, not sure the reason why, maybe a long preseason catching up with him, he finished second last in his group in front of Webbers, King actually ran in front of Dusty trying to motivate him, I heard him saying “come on Dusty” most of the way. Must remember though each player has a different work load put on them, and some can be sore from prior sessions etc.. Batchelor was a standout and lead his group most of the way until Rance and Nahas overtook him late. I didn't see this. I thought Batch lead the whole way. Jack was also extremely vocal with encouragement, especially towards Ellis through the trial. "GOOD BOY, BRANDY!"

After this they did some handball drills, followed by some short kicking practice which was supposed to have them using their opposite foot, Arnot was right in front of us and I didn’t see him once use his right, was pretty disappointing considering it’s a huge weakness for him, I think he was kind of trying to show off to the small crowd and didn’t want to expose his dodgy right.
Couldn’t stay any longer and had to get back to work, was really good seeing the time trial though."

A few things stood out for me though.  Webberley and Verrier (I think?) were doing a lot of kicking drills on their own while the rest of the team (except the rehab group of Griffiths, Astbury, Moore, and Turner) did main training.  I'm not sure why.  Verrier and Helbig look a lot alike in my opinion, so it was hard to tell them apart.

There was an exercise where two players got on their knees facing each other, with one of them holding a ball to their chest.  The other player then tackled them, and the ball-holder had to wriggle the ball out of the tackle and between their legs to a 3rd player.  I think this was a new drill for the team, as the players didn't seem to be familiar with it at all.

I'm really starting to dislike Connors.  One time in a stoppage drill he kicked the ball into the forward 50 at Houli, who couldn't reach the ball in time to mark it.  This was 90% Connors' fault for a short pass, but he didn't hesitate to yell "stuffing hell, Bash, lead!  What kind of effort is that?!" It wasn't in a joking tone either.  The guy just seems like a prick to me.

Rance's kicking has definitely stepped up, as has his leadership.  He's tied as loudest with Jack and Kingy.  The team definitely respects him.

There was a handball-only drill that was VERY fast with ferocious tackling.  I was wincing every now and then because players were being tackled hard and twisted here and there.  Was praying for no injuries.  Thankfully, none occurred.

Again, I'm positive I've missed a lot of things.  Phone was nearly dead so couldn't take notes like last time.  I'll chime in with comments when somebody else posts a report.  :gotigers

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3121 on: February 08, 2012, 04:56:24 PM »
I've read about Titch putting on weight and was skeptical but he is noticeably bigger, should help his game.  Sheds' hands are as good as ever.  Has great vision.

Maric is big and solid but is going to be a bit of a plodder, where Gus seems more athletic but sloppy with marking and kicking. Can't agree with the plodder part.  Graham finished a little ahead of him in the 5 minute timed run, but Maric has him covered easily in agility, short bursts of speed, and general awareness

Arnot looks like a midget body builder but does alright with the ball. They weren't in drills, but he missed most of his targets when the players were casually jogging between places on the ground

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3122 on: February 08, 2012, 05:13:43 PM »
Tucky and Houli came to the area where people were watching to sign autographs afterwards.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3123 on: February 08, 2012, 06:23:30 PM »
Pics from today's training session .............. (courtesy of RFCO):

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150593872433276.408982.298686323275&type=3&l=b8c8131c15

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3124 on: February 10, 2012, 04:28:54 PM »
Ruanaidh

I have moved your post to the topic re today's Intra Club Game. It has its own thread

See:
http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum/index.php?topic=14834.msg280311#msg280311
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ruanaidh

« Reply #3125 on: February 10, 2012, 04:30:33 PM »
No worries, sorry bout that

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #3126 on: February 11, 2012, 12:12:35 AM »
I'll let it slide just this once.  :police:
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3127 on: February 13, 2012, 10:00:40 AM »
2012 Training Times

Only training sessions available to the public will be Tuesday 11am each week at ME Bank Centre until further notice.

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3128 on: February 13, 2012, 10:56:56 AM »
Sweet.  I'll go tomorrow.  Couldn't have gone to the Wednesday one :)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3129 on: February 14, 2012, 04:26:54 PM »
Sweet.  I'll go tomorrow.  Couldn't have gone to the Wednesday one :)
Did you end up going Danog?

Here's Ross Smith's turn at training today with the special camera on his head:

Video: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/roarvisionarchive/tabid/11454/contentid/422124/default.aspx

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3130 on: February 14, 2012, 04:36:31 PM »
Nah, slept in.  Was out too late last night  ;)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #3131 on: February 14, 2012, 04:40:32 PM »
You gotta stop living that hardcore lifestyle man

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #3132 on: February 15, 2012, 11:42:26 AM »
report from MOTiger on BF.

Training 14/2

First out were Moore and Griffiths just doing slow laps then Astbury joined them after about 3-4 laps, by this time most of the squad was out on the ground warming up and kicking the ball back a forth. one of the assistance had a specky bag on and all the taller players were practicing taking grabs over him. JR was clear best but i still still don't think he is 100% yet moved well just looks like he is taking it easy. TV, Miller, Post and McGuane where prob next best didn't drop any just didn't look as clean as JR. Derrickx and Elton dropped a few but not the worst of the bunch. Ivan is loads better mark than Brown and Graham, he actually got off the ground. Brown was a little better than Graham and when he drops them he gets a little frustrated. Wright and Darrou looked ok. From this drill i can tell why Grimes punches the ball a lot, he could keep balance when in the air so he kept falling off the bag.

First drill was kick to kick but every 2-3 min they would change the approach like roll the ball pick it up and kick off a few steps, every player on one side would have the ball facing one of the goals the whistle would blow they would run back like they have taken a mark the whistle will blow again they have to turn to their partner and kick it like they are switching play. Over all the skills were good not many missed kicks.

second drill was a contested ball drill where there was 4 teams of 10 with one team defending one team attacking (both with 8 on the pitch) on two different pitches about 10 meters wide and 30 long the closest pitch the attacking team had to move the ball up the ground by hand and when they moved the ball to a certain point they had to kick the ball to a leading forward, the defending team had to cause a turn over. the other pitch was on the far side of PRO so i didn't get a good look at what was going on but it looked like the attacking team had to move the ball up the pitch by hand and handball the ball through the goals, not 100% sure. after each team had about 4 min attacking and 4 min defending they swapped pitches. Outside the usual good performers (Cotchin, Martin, Foley, Lids, JR ect.) Conca attacked and defended really well as did batchelor. Morris Defended like a beast, hates getting beaten. Arnot was really aggressive left his spot in the "zone" a lot to lay a tackle or intercept a pass on the other side of the pitch leaving a massive hole for someone to run into. if the move worked out for him it looked good but if it didn't the attacking team moved the ball over that side and move it with ease. Dea is a lot like Morris.

Third drill was a lot like the the second but on a larger scale the attacking team had to move the ball up to the opposite end of the centre square. The boundary line went straight up the ground from the intersection of the 50 and the boundary line so it was shaped like a rectangle with a semi circle on the end. They were split up into 3 groups of 13(pretty sure one was 14) with 12 on the pitch at one time. The group that wasn’t taking part in the drill were so tackling practice. (By this time i was getting really restless and not taking note, sorry)

Finally they split up into forwards, midfielders and defenders. Training with defenders were Dea, Morris, Rance, Verrier, Post, Grimes, McGuane, Houli, Wright and Darrou again they did a “zone” drill, half defend other half attack, again Morris impressed. Midfielders were Cotchin, Martin, Foley, Conca, Arnot, Newman, Batchelor, Jackson, Grigg and Deledio with Maric and Graham rucking. The ball was bounced and one ruck would go up and tap it to advantage of the midfielders (in teams of 3) who ever one the clearance would kick it to a coach then the team that lost set up a zone in a marked out box and had to stop the team that won the clearance from getting the ball back. Graham kept forgetting to get into the zone or attack Lade was getting very frustrated. Forwards just kicked for goal.

Maric, Graham, Wright and Brown stayed out to do some contested marking (at first brown was doing tap work but after about 3 min of that moved over to do the marking). Maric was asking for the kicker to kick it to his opponents’ side. Wright looked buggered after the session but stayed out and got beaten in pretty much every contest, Maric was getting into his ear to stay out.

Other notes:
Lids trained in the main group and Brown was doing ruck training a lot during some of the drills.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?s=670d18c37607ffcfa86d618b14a378c9&t=887224&page=30

Edited to add appropriate link to BF source
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:00:21 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #3133 on: February 16, 2012, 01:02:34 AM »
report from MOTiger on BF.

Training 14/2

First out were Moore and Griffiths just doing slow laps then Astbury joined them after about 3-4 laps, by this time most of the squad was out on the ground warming up and kicking the ball back a forth. one of the assistance had a specky bag on and all the taller players were practicing taking grabs over him. JR was clear best but i still still don't think he is 100% yet moved well just looks like he is taking it easy. TV, Miller, Post and McGuane where prob next best didn't drop any just didn't look as clean as JR. Derrickx and Elton dropped a few but not the worst of the bunch. Ivan is loads better mark than Brown and Graham, he actually got off the ground. Brown was a little better than Graham and when he drops them he gets a little frustrated. Wright and Darrou looked ok. From this drill i can tell why Grimes punches the ball a lot, he could keep balance when in the air so he kept falling off the bag.

First drill was kick to kick but every 2-3 min they would change the approach like roll the ball pick it up and kick off a few steps, every player on one side would have the ball facing one of the goals the whistle would blow they would run back like they have taken a mark the whistle will blow again they have to turn to their partner and kick it like they are switching play. Over all the skills were good not many missed kicks.

second drill was a contested ball drill where there was 4 teams of 10 with one team defending one team attacking (both with 8 on the pitch) on two different pitches about 10 meters wide and 30 long the closest pitch the attacking team had to move the ball up the ground by hand and when they moved the ball to a certain point they had to kick the ball to a leading forward, the defending team had to cause a turn over. the other pitch was on the far side of PRO so i didn't get a good look at what was going on but it looked like the attacking team had to move the ball up the pitch by hand and handball the ball through the goals, not 100% sure. after each team had about 4 min attacking and 4 min defending they swapped pitches. Outside the usual good performers (Cotchin, Martin, Foley, Lids, JR ect.) Conca attacked and defended really well as did batchelor. Morris Defended like a beast, hates getting beaten. Arnot was really aggressive left his spot in the "zone" a lot to lay a tackle or intercept a pass on the other side of the pitch leaving a massive hole for someone to run into. if the move worked out for him it looked good but if it didn't the attacking team moved the ball over that side and move it with ease. Dea is a lot like Morris.

Third drill was a lot like the the second but on a larger scale the attacking team had to move the ball up to the opposite end of the centre square. The boundary line went straight up the ground from the intersection of the 50 and the boundary line so it was shaped like a rectangle with a semi circle on the end. They were split up into 3 groups of 13(pretty sure one was 14) with 12 on the pitch at one time. The group that wasn’t taking part in the drill were so tackling practice. (By this time i was getting really restless and not taking note, sorry)

Finally they split up into forwards, midfielders and defenders. Training with defenders were Dea, Morris, Rance, Verrier, Post, Grimes, McGuane, Houli, Wright and Darrou again they did a “zone” drill, half defend other half attack, again Morris impressed. Midfielders were Cotchin, Martin, Foley, Conca, Arnot, Newman, Batchelor, Jackson, Grigg and Deledio with Maric and Graham rucking. The ball was bounced and one ruck would go up and tap it to advantage of the midfielders (in teams of 3) who ever one the clearance would kick it to a coach then the team that lost set up a zone in a marked out box and had to stop the team that won the clearance from getting the ball back. Graham kept forgetting to get into the zone or attack Lade was getting very frustrated. Forwards just kicked for goal.

Maric, Graham, Wright and Brown stayed out to do some contested marking (at first brown was doing tap work but after about 3 min of that moved over to do the marking). Maric was asking for the kicker to kick it to his opponents’ side. Wright looked buggered after the session but stayed out and got beaten in pretty much every contest, Maric was getting into his ear to stay out.

Other notes:
Lids trained in the main group and Brown was doing ruck training a lot during some of the drills.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?s=670d18c37607ffcfa86d618b14a378c9&t=887224&page=30

Edited to add appropriate link to BF source

cheers for the update
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3134 on: February 24, 2012, 03:37:43 PM »
Pic from training today with the boys in their new yellow and red training tops...

http://yfrog.com/nw7acfwj