Author Topic: Richard Tambling threads [merged]  (Read 112995 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tambling timing unclear
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 03:53:27 PM »
Gently does it  :-\. Give Tambing another week if he isn't fully right. He should have been rested after the initial hammy. Why did we play him the following week  ???.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tambling finds a Tiger brother
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2005, 07:25:50 AM »
Tambling finds a Tiger brother
08 July 2005   
Herald Sun
Michael Stevens

WHEN Richard Tambling was drafted to Richmond last year, Joel Bowden made a point of welcoming him to Punt Rd.

Having lived in Alice Springs as a youngster, the Tigers deputy vice-captain could appreciate the immense upheaval to Tambling's life after he moved to Melbourne.

But Bowden was not prepared for the reception he received from the shy young Aborigine.

"I went over to say, `Congratulations, Richard, well done and it's fantastic that you're at Richmond because we all thought you were going somewhere else'," Bowden said yesterday.

"And he said, `Thanks a lot, Patrick, that's really nice of you'. And I said, 'I'm Joel, Patrick plays at the Bulldogs'.

"He was under a lot of stress that day, the excitement of being drafted. He obviously heard that Patrick and I were playing footy down here and followed it a little bit because we're (Northern) Territory boys."

Bowden's father Michael and older brother Sean and his Aboriginal wife Denise live in Darwin, but were in Melbourne yesterday for the Tigers' father-son day, and tomorrow's match against Essendon at the MCG.

The game has been promoted as `Dreamtime at the G' because of all the Aboriginal players on both sides who are taking part.

Bowden said it was important not to pigeon-hole players and to treat them on their merits, regardless of their background.

"Each individual is different," Bowden said.

"I'm different to Andrew Krakouer, just as I'm different to Brett Deledio. Brett's had to leave his family and start afresh, as has Andrew, but I guess the big hurdle to overcome is the cultural barriers that are there.

"Even though someone may be Aboriginal, they may feel less sensitive to some issues than another person who's Aboriginal.

"You just have to take every person as a different individual and don't try to pigeon-hole them."

The 2004 Richmond club champion says the Tigers are well placed to feature in the finals after ending their four-game losing streak against Sydney last week.

"We're going a lot better than a lot of Richmond supporters would have thought this year and I think that's credit to Terry (coach Terry Wallace) and the work he's done with the team," Bowden said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15858289%255E19771,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tambling
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2005, 08:17:37 PM »
Starting to find his feet at this level and become more involved. Sheesh he's quick off the mark  :o. Too good for his direct opponent on a lead. Still needs to learn IMHO to not stay off the contest so much when he's in midfield. There were a couple of times when he could of put himself into a contest when the ball was at ground level and win the ball for us but stayed just off it. He's young so there's plenty of time. Overall coming along nicely  :).

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: Tambling
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2005, 08:31:10 PM »
Still has a lot to learn but has done well to come back from so many injury set backs and still look comfortable at this level in his first year.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2005, 09:40:50 PM »
I'd like to see him play this role for the rest of the year, with the occasional stints in the midfield, stuff his a good leading mark for his size!

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2005, 10:07:13 AM »
I was at the Bombers vs Tiges match and saw Tamlbing take a very good mark in front of Dustin Fletcher. Tambling was a couple metres behind Fletcher but flew past him to take a comfortable mark. :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tambling feels the pinch (RFC site)
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2005, 03:13:38 PM »
Tambling feels the pinch
11:03:20 AM Thu 4 August, 2005
Paul Gough
Exclusive to afl.com.au

Exciting Richmond recruit Richard Tambling admits he is feeling the pressure after his injury-marred debut season at Punt Road.

The number four pick in last year's national draft has managed just eight senior games in 2005 after a series of injuries to firstly his toe before then suffering two hamstring injuries as well as injuring his back.

Tambling is well aware of the pressure that comes with being such a high draft pick these days and is aware his performances will be compared to that of teammate Brett Deledio as well as fellow top five picks Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead of Hawthorn and the Bulldogs' Ryan Griffen in much the same way as the stellar top three picks of the 2001 draft - Hawthorn's Luke Hodge, St Kilda's Luke Ball and West Coast's Chris Judd - have been constantly compared throughout their careers.

And right now Tambling knows that because of injury he has not made as big an impression as the other four with Deledio and Griffen amongst the favourites for the NAB Rising Star award in 2005 while Franklin has been nominated and Roughead is likely to be nominated by season's end.

"The other four boys have all had a good run in the amount of games they have played so that does put a bit of pressure on," Tambling said in an exclusive interview.

"And it makes you put a bit more pressure on yourself as well."

But the good news for the exciting goalsneak from the Northern Territory is he has strung together the past four games for the Tigers and produced his best performance of the season in last Sunday's loss to Carlton when he had 18 possessions and kicked two goals.

Now he just wants to repay the Tigers for the patience they have shown in him this season and show the fans why he was taken so high in last year's draft.

"I want to try and help us get into the finals," he said.

"And I want to show I deserve to be in the side for the rest of the season and to set myself up for next season."

Tambling said his injury problems began pre-season.

"I hurt my toe in a Wizard Regional Challenge match against Brisbane and that kept me out for two weeks and then I did a hammy at training," he said.

Those injuries meant he did not make his debut until round six and just as he was settling into the Richmond side - with a promising 13-possession, two-goal performance against Collingwood in round eight - than he suffered another injury, again against Brisbane the following week when he re-injured his hamstring.

"The most games I have played in a row this year is four and although it has been frustrating for me in my first year, it has made it more special when I have been able to play," he said.

But with his body in the best shape it has been all season, Tambling is looking forward to a big last month of the season as the Tigers begin the task of needing to win three of their last four games to reach the September action for only the third time in the past 23 years.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=220081

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Franklin chops at Tambling spirit
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2007, 03:40:18 AM »
Had enough: Richard Tambling is sick of the unflattering camparisions with Hawthorn's Lance Franklin as critics throw up the theory that Richmond chose the wrong man at No.4 in the 2004 national draft.

Franklin chops at Tambling spirit
12 May 2007   Herald-Sun
Richard Earle

RICHARD Tambling is tired of the comparisons. So is his mentor Dean Rioli.

Critics are pedalling the theory Richmond chose the wrong cattle in taking Tambling at No. 4 at the 2004 national draft ahead of Hawthorn's Lance Franklin at No. 5.

The keen pig-shooter from the Northern Territory now feels like he's the hunted in the AFL jungle.

Hindsight is wonderful.

Lost in a haze is Brett Deledio's path to Punt Rd as the Tigers' No. 1 pick in 2004.

Hawthorn chose Jarryd Roughead at No. 2, while the Western Bulldogs cracked midfielder Ryan Griffen at No.3.

The irony isn't lost on 39-game forward Tambling, 20.

"It's starting to get to me a bit," said Tambling of unflattering comparisons in the wake of Franklin's 23-goal haul this year.

The free-spirit who once roamed Kakadu catching barramundi and magpie-geese senses he's cornered.

"You don't hear people talking about Jarryd Roughead or Ryan Griffen when there's comparison with Lance Franklin, it's always me and you do get sick of it."

"Maybe it's because we are both fast and indigenous, I'm not sure."

Former Essendon half-forward Dean Rioli rated Tambling the best pick of the 2004 draft and believes he could still prove the most successful.

"Richmond get pumped so the critics start second-guessing. They still got a good player in Richie," said Rioli, who retired after his 100th game last season.

"He was one of the best juniors I had ever seen. He will take longer to adapt, being smaller and thinner than the other guys.

"In the long run Lance Franklin might finish his career at 29, while Richie might fill out and go until he's 33. It's about the long haul."

You won't spot Tambling in Melbourne nightclubs closely followed by minders.

He is articulate and disciplined.

As Tambling, who became a father 18 months ago says, "there's been a bit going on" since arriving in Melbourne.

Tambling's debut 2005 season was wrecked by toe and hamstring injuries, while he'll miss today's game against Port Adelaide with a dislocated AC-joint sustained in Sunday's thrashing by Geelong,

"I didn't come into the competition with an AFL body," said Tambling, who expected to be drafted by the Hawks after spending 2004 Grand Final week at recruiting manager Gary Buckenara's house.

Richmond football manager Greg Miller has signalled the club will be patient with Tambling.

"We're very pleased with Richard Tambling," Miller said.

In return for the club's "faith," Tambling has vowed to take drastic action to become the midfielder the Tigers crave.

"I am learning how hard it is to become a midfielder, how much you have to run," he said.

"I watch guys like West Coast's Daniel Kerr and Ben Cousins and I have taken note. They run and run until they spew."

At the core of Tambling's inspiration is a love of all things Tigerland.

"The club has been great and told me they have faith in me. I just have to forget about all the hype," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21715879%255E19742,00.html

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: Franklin chops at Tambling spirit
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2007, 12:02:15 PM »
You won't spot Tambling in Melbourne nightclubs closely followed by minders.

He is articulate and disciplined.

Hmmm, that's a well aimed barbed comment. Not in inverted commas, so I'd say it's from the person who wrote the article.
(On the money, going by what 2 of my sons say after seeing Franklin out and about.)
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Richie Tambling threads [merged]
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 02:33:29 PM »
Plough's put in a strong defence of Tambo in EOTT. Said he's amazed by the criticism Richie receives given he's a wonderfully gifted footballer. Too much emphasis is placed on who is taken before whom in drafts with Tambo stacking up well against other No. 4 picks.

Terry still hopes he's around to coach Tambo when Richie is 24-25 years old. Said he'll be a future champion player who'll play 200-plus games for us and be a future leader. Against Freo he showed what he had to offer over the next 10 years. His run, carry and goalkicking ability broke the game open at times.

http://210.50.4.102/rfc/

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richie Tambling
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 02:37:47 PM »
Plough's put in a strong defence of Tambo in EOTT. Said he's amazed by the criticism Richie receives given he's a wonderfully gifted footballer. Too much emphasis is placed on who is taken before whom in drafts with Tambo stacking up well against other No. 4 picks.

Terry still hopes he's around to coach Tambo when Richie is 24-25 years old. Said he'll be a future champion player who'll play 200-plus games for us and be a future leader. Against Freo he showed what he had to offer over the next 10 years. His run, carry and goalkicking ability broke the game open at times.

exactly what i have been saying and noticed , his leadership is far better than anyone in his draft year also, including lids

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 02:58:27 PM »

exactly what i have been saying and noticed , his leadership is far better than anyone in his draft year also, including lids

Richie has the potential to be even better than Lids, just has that feel to his game.

But X you are seriously selling Lids short. One thing he certainly hasn't been is soft as you seem to always ellude to. Consistently racks up about 6-7 contested possies, on the weekend he got 10. Will be a brilliant player and I think it is time you got back on the bandwagon  :thumbsup

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 03:04:21 PM »
if you look at his matches per goal it is not bad ...

he is a wing/goal kicker ... i can't see him in the midfield because he is a running player !!!

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2007, 03:09:14 PM »
Found these stats on Lids on some dreamtime site. Not sure if it is legit but sounds about right.
             Contested Possessions
Rd 1.                8
Rd 2.                36
Rd 3.                32
Rd 4.                32
Rd 5.                36
Rd 6.                12
Rd 7.                12
Rd 8.                36
Rd 9.                28
Rd 10.              28
Rd 11.              40

Note - divide those by 4 for his actual contested possie count

It would result in his contested possie figure being 2, 9, 8, 8, 9, 3, 3, 9, 7, 7, 10

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2007, 03:10:18 PM »
if you look at his matches per goal it is not bad ...

he is a wing/goal kicker ... i can't see him in the midfield because he is a running player !!!

Take out the first couple of matches when he played in the backline, and he is kicking something like 1 goal and game. Good effort, but can see that being even better

EDIT: Oops, you meant Tambo didn't you :lol

He has a good record, 13 goals from 10 matches. Imagine if we were actually winning games
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 03:40:56 PM by bluey_21 »