Author Topic: Tigers veterans berated for ‘letting down’ Yze as ‘angry’ Robbo takes aim (Fox)  (Read 9 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘Do your job’: Tigers veterans berated for ‘letting down’ Yze as ‘angry’ Robbo takes aim

Fox Footy
May 14th, 2024

Richmond’s senior players have been called out for “letting Adem Yze down” during its demoralising defeat to the Western Bulldogs at the weekend.

The Tigers suffered the worst loss by any team this year last Saturday night, going down by 91 points at the MCG in a disenchanting showing.

Despite stunting injuries to key players, the side’s performance has prompted backlash in recent days.

After conceding 22 scoring shots from 43 inside-50s in the first half alone, the Tigers allowed the Bulldogs a 10-goal second half and conceded a staggering 77 inside-50s for the match.

On Fox Footy’s AFL 360, Herald Sun Chief Football Writer Mark Robinson scathed the Tigers who suited up on Saturday night, claiming they didn’t do enough to “support” their first-year head coach.

“It’s a great discussion (about) where do they go now?” Robinson began on Monday night. “Adem Yze’s coming out, new coach, supporting his players (at his post-match press conference).

“A lot of people (thought) ‘no, come on Adem, call it as you see it’. Because watching that game on the weekend, I got really angry with the senior players.

“You’re letting Adem Yze down.

“Forget what you’ve done in the past, you guys. You’re getting paid, do your job, show some spirit. How much does it cost to buy spirit? Just bring it, will you?

“Support this new guy — he needs supporting.”

During his Saturday night presser, Yze told reporters that while his side’s heavy loss was “really disappointing”, he “can’t fault our effort”.

“If it was around effort and intent then (I) would be a little bit worried, but I can never doubt (effort) with our players. I can’t fault that,” Yze said.

“I can see some frustration (from the players) with our execution, I just don’t want that to dint our spirit.”

Robinson said that while there were promising signs shown by Richmond’s contingent of youngsters, they need their senior teammates to lead by example.

“Like, Geez,” Robinson continued. “It’s so frustrating to watch a team of good players — and there’s probably about a dozen in there — and they’ve got young players, and there’s some really good signs with some of their young players, but the young players need leadership and guidance, and they need effort.

“(They need to see) the senior players bust their bum, tackling and running to support. And if that doesn’t happen, it all falls apart.

“They were bouncing, the Dogs, and they just went ‘bang’, and there was little resistance (from Richmond). Little resistance.

“I think Adem Yze has been let down ... he has been let down by his senior players.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2024-mark-robinson-says-richmond-senior-players-let-adem-yze-down-in-massive-loss-to-western-bulldogs-richmond-tigers-afl-360-reaction-comments-latest-news/news-story/b6dd27a740397af8ea48bfae9c9cfae5