Author Topic: Thomson Dow [merged]  (Read 48578 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Thomson Dow [merged]
« Reply #405 on: June 02, 2024, 12:26:15 AM »
Dow was very good tonight.

Not from where I was sitting

His refusal to attack contests at times resulting in the opposition literally waltzing away without any pressure has me doing this  :banghead

In the last twice he needed to attack the bloke on the ground to at least create a stoppage and he just stood there watching.  He has to get this out of his game. He does it far too often, so much so it makes the good stuff he does mean very little
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #406 on: June 02, 2024, 12:38:44 AM »
Yep - it's obvious enough on the telly for anyone with even a vestige of a clue but it stands out like dogs balls at the games... :shh

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #407 on: June 02, 2024, 01:06:31 AM »
He's not going to make it.

Please drop and de-list.

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #408 on: June 02, 2024, 10:17:05 AM »
Dow was very good tonight.

Not from where I was sitting

His refusal to attack contests at times resulting in the opposition literally waltzing away without any pressure has me doing this  :banghead

In the last twice he needed to attack the bloke on the ground to at least create a stoppage and he just stood there watching.  He has to get this out of his game. He does it far too often, so much so it makes the good stuff he does mean very little

His attack on the ball through the contest is fine for the moment. He needs to be playing with our senior midfield core to continue his development, and to get through games. We all see things we like and dislike, however i think he has a future with us.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #409 on: June 02, 2024, 10:25:38 AM »

His attack on the ball through the contest is fine for the moment. He needs to be playing with our senior midfield core to continue his development, and to get through games. We all see things we like and dislike, however i think he has a future with us.

Sorry I can't agree. I've defended him and given him the benefit of the doubt all season.

But last night game on line in the final qtr for him to either stand there or in one instance take a step back when he needed to attack the contest is IMHO unacceptable from a senior or junior player.

I want him to make it, facts are as a Club we need him to make it but as I said he needs to get the above out of his game quickly.

Opposition's are already using him to gain advantage at contests because they are realising he will either stand back and be a spectator or know he won't give the necessary 2nd effort chasing

« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 01:11:55 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #410 on: June 02, 2024, 10:30:41 AM »
Gach Zuthrie marked 45m out, Dow took a step towards him, then turned and guarded space while Zuthrie ran into goal.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #411 on: June 02, 2024, 10:31:55 AM »

Sorry I can't agree. I've defended him and given him the benefit of the doubt all season.

But last night game other line in the final qtr for him to either stand there or in one instance take a step back when he needed to attack the contest is IMHO unacceptable from a senior or junior player.

I want him to make it, facts are as a Club we need him to make it but as I said he needs to get the above out of his game quickly.

Opposition's are already using him to gain advantage at contests because they are realising he will either stand back and be a spectator or know he won't give the necessary 2nd effort chasing

Not so sure on this one WP but as I said, we all see things differently. 

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #412 on: June 02, 2024, 11:03:01 AM »

Sometimes when you are in the absolute minority, it might be prudent to sit back and think to yourself, poo, I might have this wrong

But for some reason you seem to enjoy being in the minority

This could be for a couple of reasons

1- you like to be a different voice so there is some debate on the forum, which is cool
2- you have no idea about football, also ok, you might learn

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #413 on: June 02, 2024, 11:13:27 AM »

Sometimes when you are in the absolute minority, it might be prudent to sit back and think to yourself, poo, I might have this wrong

But for some reason you seem to enjoy being in the minority

This could be for a couple of reasons

1- you like to be a different voice so there is some debate on the forum, which is cool
2- you have no idea about football, also ok, you might learn

I might be on the minority on this forum about Dow (and others), however the match committee see things differently so i can rule out point 1 and maybe its you that falls into point 2. Food for thought :whistle

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #414 on: June 02, 2024, 11:35:10 AM »
ooh and the match committee are doing a mighty fine at the moment. :lol

Machine give it up. You have had more misses than the whole site combined and this is one.

Dow is only getting a game because quite frankly we have no one.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #415 on: June 02, 2024, 11:48:26 AM »
On the theme of a minority,
How many games has this bloke played in the seniors?
Should he be a starting mid, or should he be pinch hitting / rotating as he learns the craft?
Should he be given some direction / mentoring by senior players?
Could he be improving as he learns the craft and go ok when the big guns come back?

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #416 on: June 02, 2024, 12:26:53 PM »
Should he be a starting mid, or should he be pinch hitting / rotating as he learns the craft?
Could he be improving as he learns the craft and go ok when the big guns come back?

Thank god for common sense :shh

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #417 on: June 02, 2024, 12:55:00 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #418 on: June 02, 2024, 01:11:36 PM »

All fair questions/points

He's played 29 games

Should he be a starting mid? At this point yes and yes no doubt it would assist his development if he had more senior blokes around him

However, I would think 29 or 129 games there are some non negotiables and for me at least standing and spectators and worse stepping back from a contest are non negotiable

As I said I want nothing more than to see him succeed but I would think (hope) that we would have seen improvements in the non negotiable and I'll put my hand up and say I am yet to see it, especially the last 5 weeks

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #419 on: June 02, 2024, 01:23:19 PM »
He's only in the guts because he has no other strings to his bow and can't be hidden anywhere else....he's been kissed on the knob due to injuries and is getting a run that far better players - some no longer on our list were never afforded and some of those players ironically because they were more versatile than Dow could ever hope to be didn't get the opportunity to show their strengths and play in their best positions at the top level...Dow's being played in his best (only) position and - despite what certain serial defenders of duds may hilariously & ludicrously claim - is still stinking it up with very little sign of improvement, in fact  if anything he's getting even worse ...... :shh

- Thomas Sowell