Author Topic: Not a popular thread BUT ...  (Read 3061 times)

bushranger

Re: Not a popular thread BUT ...
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2009, 02:31:27 PM »
Winning not only keeps the player and us supporters happy but it also keep our sponsors there.
So if we are happy with winning then this has to be good.
A bloody win is good for everyone at the club and those who say it was against a team that was down.
So bloody what we won just get that, and this will answer your question.
Winning help and losing keep others away. Like sponsors and future members to as well as keeping the old members if it came down to it.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2009, 02:42:03 PM »
I had money on the Tigers last night so I am particularly happy we got the win!  :thumbsup The only problem is is that it means nothing in the big scheme of things. Do you think we will remember that win in 3 years time - doubtful but we will remember the 10 year players that helped us be a consistently great side and win us a premiership.  :pray

Yes win make us all happy, players, sponsors, coach, admin, everyone but if I just hope that at the end of the year if we get 5/6 wins and west coast and melbourne both get priority picks and our first pick is 6, we are just as happy.... :-\

Stripes

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2009, 04:40:55 PM »
Why is everyone so excited after yesterdays win. Ive seen this movie so many times its not funny. A cheap meaningless win.

stop kidding yourself with this self indulgent tripe and consider whether the likes of cotchin and Lids would like to lay downb for the remainder of the year...Yeah could imagine would do long term contract negotiations the world of good....LOSING is the EASY way out...NO BALLS to lay down....I dont for a minute support that attitude and I expect more from our supporter base than to effectively wish and applaud recurring LOSSES :banghead
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Ox

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2009, 04:45:45 PM »
good stuff bJ.

Its easy to say tank cos it's rewarding but,please......

Ox

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2009, 05:04:12 PM »
ramps,
lets get a new coach so we can tank under him for another couple of years,
in which time ur master plan may come to fruition.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2009, 08:16:34 PM »
13 13 12 15 15 12 16 13 5 9 10 3 11 14

X's IQ test results. Uncannily, also Freo's finishing positions since day 1.

Losing is a cancer. You get nowhere with softc0cks. And telling impressionable young footballers its OK, even good, to lose is institutionally breeding softc0cks.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 08:42:10 PM by the_boy_jake »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2009, 09:25:01 PM »
Having made the trip over yesterday and getting back this morning at 6.00am

I have to say I wou'dnt sawp the result for anything

With the year we have had, the crap w've put up with it was GREAT TO WIN

The majority of the team were on the same flight back - have to say it was a pleasant flight for a change  :thumbsup

We dont' need to tank

Last night the major players of the draft class of 2004 stood up and I loved every minute of it.... we have a core group who on average are 20-22 y.o. they are our future and depsite the doom and gloom in the media they are not the worse going around.

Pick 2 or pick 6, 7 or 10 - it's a lottery and there no guarantees
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2009, 10:34:52 PM »
Ramps' point is not so much about our first pick but moreso the prospect of losing the priority pick. 3 picks in the top 20 instead of just two (or even one if we now win our fair share in the next 12 weeks) is obviously a better scenario come draft time. It not only gives us a better opportunity to add more talented youth to our list which we need to strength our existing young core but it'll also give us greater flexibility to cut (senior) players not up it. It sucks that the draft system punishes winning by bottom 8 sides but that's the reality  :scream. Ramps is just being pragmatic given the stupid draft rules and he's thinking about what is best for Richmond long term recruiting wise. I'm sure the new coach would love to have extra draft options to begin with.

Last night's win hasn't done any damage as far as losing a priority pick as we'll most likely be 2-9 at the halfway mark and the positive is the club gets a breather for a few weeks from the overzealous oppressive media and angry supporters wanting the club to react in the short-term. However, we only have 2 wins up our sleave now with the Eagles x2, Melbourne and North to come  :-\. Honestly, is say 6 wins instead of 4 going to make us or the players feel any better come the November draft or round 1, 2010?

One other thing - players don't tank games; coaches and clubs however do tank. For example they play younger and inexperienced sides, or they give more gametime in the midfield to 2nd and 3rd tier younger mids, or younger rucks, or younger KPPs, or they play kids on gun opposition players, or they put senior players carrying niggles in cotton wool for the rest of the season. Whatever they do, it lessens the chances of winning while at the same time giving their youngsters more valuable AFL experience in an effort to accelerate their development for next year and beyond. So tanking in the AFL doesn't mean asking players to pull up like a paid-off jockey. It's rather coaches and clubs manipulating team selections and match-ups on the ground to get a "favourable" draft position.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2009, 12:23:18 AM »
 Can we just forget about the precious draft picks for one moment and remember that the players are NOT Robots.

What is the value of a "morale boosting", "backs to the wall " interstate win in hostile territory ?

Tell me how a victory like last night can do any harm to the future of our young team ?

What a wonderful team bonding experience the flight home must of been.

I thought last night was bloody fantastic.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2009, 02:02:23 AM »
Draft wise we could get 2 18 19 35 51 but if we dont tank we could end up with 7 23 39 55 ... which set of numbers would be better for our future?

4 8 15 16 23 42   :cheers
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Ramps

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2009, 06:39:18 AM »
Ramps' point is not so much about our first pick but moreso the prospect of losing the priority pick. 3 picks in the top 20 instead of just two (or even one if we now win our fair share in the next 12 weeks) is obviously a better scenario come draft time. It not only gives us a better opportunity to add more talented youth to our list which we need to strength our existing young core but it'll also give us greater flexibility to cut (senior) players not up it. It sucks that the draft system punishes winning by bottom 8 sides but that's the reality  :scream. Ramps is just being pragmatic given the stupid draft rules and he's thinking about what is best for Richmond long term recruiting wise. I'm sure the new coach would love to have extra draft options to begin with.

Last night's win hasn't done any damage as far as losing a priority pick as we'll most likely be 2-9 at the halfway mark and the positive is the club gets a breather for a few weeks from the overzealous oppressive media and angry supporters wanting the club to react in the short-term. However, we only have 2 wins up our sleave now with the Eagles x2, Melbourne and North to come  :-\. Honestly, is say 6 wins instead of 4 going to make us or the players feel any better come the November draft or round 1, 2010?

One other thing - players don't tank games; coaches and clubs however do tank. For example they play younger and inexperienced sides, or they give more gametime in the midfield to 2nd and 3rd tier younger mids, or younger rucks, or younger KPPs, or they play kids on gun opposition players, or they put senior players carrying niggles in cotton wool for the rest of the season. Whatever they do, it lessens the chances of winning while at the same time giving their youngsters more valuable AFL experience in an effort to accelerate their development for next year and beyond. So tanking in the AFL doesn't mean asking players to pull up like a paid-off jockey. It's rather coaches and clubs manipulating team selections and match-ups on the ground to get a "favourable" draft position.

I couldnt have put it any better than this. People think that I like to see us lose, that isnt the case. People have said that the win was a reflection of our capabilities especially those players that are still young players like Deledio et al. And thats right as well by I just reckon if we can get 3 picks inside 20 and a 4th pick in the early 30s ... plus a real early PSD pick, we could becomea much better side down the track, especially when 2011/2012 comes along.