Author Topic: Chat live with Gary March - Thurs 12.30pm  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Chat live with Gary March - Thurs 12.30pm
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 10:04:42 AM »

The naming rights option is not necessarily for the oval but rather the building. Our intention if possible is for punt road oval to always be called punt road oval. Having said that we have to seriously consider all financial offers if they are for the long term benefit of the club.
I would've thought it'd be a lot easier (not to mention receive more $$$) to find a naming rights sponsor for the whole oval than just the new building given the media would use the sponsors name when referring to it or doing a cross from the ground back to the studio; where as they wouldn't use the sponsor's name if only the building was sponsored. The main purpose of naming rights to $$$ for the Club and mass publicity for the potential sponsor. You'd have a sign on the Punt Rd side of the ground with the Sponsor's name - eg: "Commonwealth Oval/Park/Centre/...."[

I think that with naming rights to the building it would more about exposure. A prime location where signage would be seen by thousands each day. IT would be a good compromise I think, but from March's answer i would say that if someone wanted total naming rights and the money was right they would take it.
[Comment From Guest: ]
Hi Gary, what plans have we in place to reduce our large debt? Melbourne's campaign worked very well!

Richmond Football Club:
The board and the executive have been working for the past 5 months on a program that will be launched in Feburary by Brendan Gale and this program will not only be designed to erradicate our debt but more importantly provide us with a "future fund" to enable us to be agressive and competitive in this expanding football market. Full details will be provided to members by Brendon prior to any announcement in the media. We're excited by the prospect and we think it will deliver a longterm benefit to RFC

In terms of detail, we are very keen to ensure that we have every aspect of our ambitious plan finalised and we expect the finer details to be completed by the end of the year. We are also keen that our membership and supporter base are first to hear those details from us directly rather than through the media and as previously advised that will be launched by Brendon in early Feburary.

The reason it has taken this amount of time is primarily that the board felt before going to our members, supporters, sponsors, etc we needed to prove that we had a strong and sustainable business model and that we would not fall back into debt on the back of "capital raising". 6 consecutive profits and a strong financial result in a difficult year this year allow us to comfortabely launch our campaign and seek the support of all our constituents.

The only reason we have sold games is based on a pure financial reason and it has been done so to allow us to continue to invest money in our football department.

No, it will be a different campaign [to Melbourne's] and more about the future rather than just debt reduction. In Melbourne's case they have still not returned to regular operating profits so their situation is different than ours going forward.
Interesting to see what the Club has planned if it's a different program to Melbourne's. It's going to be a massive task to raise $4.5m - let alone more than that if they want a future fund as well - with little to no on-field success to push it along. We did raise close to a $1m in 1990 for SOS so 20 years on in today's money we could achieve the $4.5m but going by March's answer we aren't necessarily planning on a rattling tins.

Btw good luck stopping it from leaking out early to supporters and the media Gary  :D

I like this. Not just a debit demolition but the creation of a war chest. Very Smart.  :gotigers

[Comment From Chara Chara: ]
One more quick one Gary, why will the club be getting rid of the Grand final guarantee addition to current memberships? It was sold to us as being a permanent fixyure now we are tiold it will be phased out?

Richmond Football Club:
I wasn't aware it was being phased out, and I will discuss with Cain Liddle and come back to you
??? My membership renewal still has the GF guarantee so it must still exist.

I did not get an option for it this year MT.. I rang the club and asked them about it. I was told that it was only introduced while the social club was being rebuilt, but as it will be reopening the grad final gaurantee will go back  (?) to being for social club members   .

Perhaps those that took up the option last year still get the option again, but once you dont take up the option you loose it.?
[Comment From Jim from Burwood Jim: ]
Hi Gary, Brendan Gale 12 months ago announced the goal of 3 top 8 (including 1 top 4 finish) by 2014. 12 months on, is the club still confident that this goal is achievable?

Richmond Football Club:
Yes it was an ambitious plan but one we stand by. 2011 is another stepping stone to achieving that goal and we are still confident that we can achieve the stated results by 2014.
I would love it to happen but wishful thinking Gary if you think we're going to play finals in 2012  :-\

Yes we will  ;D :cheers :gotigers
Richmond Football Club:
Great, and interestingly in their financial results they trumpetted a $2.2m profit when actually after stripping out government grants they made an operating loss of $125k. So it will be even sweeter when we smash them round 1.
I'm sure the Blues will have some spare cash in brown paper bags around the place under a desk or two  :whistle

:lol
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 11:35:51 AM »

I did not get an option for it this year MT.. I rang the club and asked them about it. I was told that it was only introduced while the social club was being rebuilt, but as it will be reopening the grad final gaurantee will go back  (?) to being for social club members   .

Perhaps those that took up the option last year still get the option again, but once you dont take up the option you loose it.?

It was on my renewal Al.  I took it up in the first year it was available - don't know if that matters but I'm not going to let it drop, that's for sure.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 12:23:33 PM »

I did not get an option for it this year MT.. I rang the club and asked them about it. I was told that it was only introduced while the social club was being rebuilt, but as it will be reopening the grad final gaurantee will go back  (?) to being for social club members   .

It was on my renewal Al.  I took it up in the first year it was available - don't know if that matters but I'm not going to let it drop, that's for sure.

I think if you to took it up last year, then for 2011 it's a "renew" item but isn't been offered as a new option this year. So if you didn't have last year you can't have it this year...
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 04:19:18 PM »

Yep it's listed as "1 Grand Final Upgrade" on my membership renewal form al and cost $75.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2010, 04:30:06 PM »
Probably shouldnt say this..buut...

I'd be checking if it will be continued to be offered. Not much chance in using it next year so if purchasing it doesnt get you the option in following years......

interstate social club membership is reasonably priced though.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 07:46:56 PM »
Probably shouldnt say this..buut...

I'd be checking if it will be continued to be offered. Not much chance in using it next year so if purchasing it doesnt get you the option in following years......

interstate social club membership is reasonably priced though.
The Club would be going against a promise in writing if they did discontinue it.

"With a limited number available, members who have secured a Grand Final Ticket Guarantee now will have the first right to renew that guarantee each season - so you can ensure you don't miss out on Richmond Grand Final action in years to come!"
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2010, 09:21:13 PM »
In that case it could be worth hangn' on to.  :thumbsup :gotigers

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 09:56:51 PM »
i hope that's the case, would be peeed if upgrading to social club was only option
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 10:21:25 PM »
I think it is for those that don't already hold the guarantee, Bo.