Author Topic: Chat live with Gary March - Thurs 12.30pm  (Read 2577 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Chat live with Gary March - Thurs 12.30pm
« on: November 23, 2010, 05:42:44 PM »
Chat with President Gary March

With the AGM being held shortly, President Gary March is coming online to richmondfc.com.au to talk all things Richmond.

The chat will go live this Thursday November 25th, at 12.30pm AEST

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/TheClub/GaryMarchChat/tabid/16923/Default.aspx

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Chat live with Gary March - Thurs 12.30pm
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 01:59:33 AM »
I hope Gary has his notes ready for all the questions about sponsors and our debt. That's the two main off-field issues at the moment.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 06:57:28 AM »
I hope Gary has his notes ready for all the questions about sponsors and our debt. That's the two main off-field issues at the moment.

Just on "debt" did anyone else read the fine print in the articles about C'wood and their $5 mil profit? It actually mentioned in there that one of the things the Pies had done was pay of a large chunk of their $11 mil debt (used for financing thier failed pub ventures). It's now down to $3mil I think it was.

My points are this:

1/ C'wood are and have been asset positive (in the black) for a long time but still have had a significant debt; just like the RFC

2/ Caro and other journos make no mention of it because clearly it doesn't make good cannon fodder  >:(

and 3/ as I've said a few times all businesses carry debt and although not great because of the interest bill as long as it is managable it isn't the worse thing in the world. Unable to pay the interest bill and unable to make a profit then you have major problems. The way the RFCs debt gets thrown out there it makes it sound like the roof is about to cave in

Thus endeth my rant for this morning  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 08:46:46 AM »
True, true and true WP
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 09:03:26 AM »

Not if your FTB doesn't turn up!   ;D

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 09:28:18 AM »
 :lol
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 10:13:21 AM »

Get with the program Smokey  ;D

A copy came on Monday

I posted about it in the FTB thread

:thumbsup

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 10:15:52 AM »

Get with the program Smokey  ;D

A copy came on Monday

I posted about it in the FTB thread

:thumbsup

Sorry, we don't have daylight saving so I'm not up with it all!!   :P

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 10:19:52 AM »
 ;D

Offline TigerTimTam

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 03:20:07 PM »
fine print in the articles about C'wood and their $5 mil profit? It actually mentioned in there that one of the things the Pies had done was pay of a large chunk of their $11 mil debt (used for financing thier failed pub ventures). It's now down to $3mil I think it was.

This worries me. Collingwood seem to have the ability and means to generate a large profit to address the debit problem. However, do we?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 04:10:33 PM »
fine print in the articles about C'wood and their $5 mil profit? It actually mentioned in there that one of the things the Pies had done was pay of a large chunk of their $11 mil debt (used for financing thier failed pub ventures). It's now down to $3mil I think it was.

This worries me. Collingwood seem to have the ability and means to generate a large profit to address the debit problem. However, do we?

To pay off the debt you need cash; large profits don't necessarily = cash (acct 101  ;D)

It is only in 2010 that the Pies have managed to pay off a large chunk of their debt but they have posting big profits for a lot of those years.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 01:32:47 PM »
[Comment From Greg: ]
How are we going with findind a new sponsor? Also will player be coming back out to area like Ballarat etc to run clinics like they have done in the past?

Richmond Football Club:
Re: Sponsor. Simon Derrick and Brendan Gale have ben working on negotiations with a number of parties regarding major sponsor and potential naming rights for PRO and are confident we will announce those before Christmas. It's significant to understand that 5 clubs are in the market for major sponsors as well as 6 NRL teams. Pleasingly we have retained our majors from this year in a reduced capacity which is a bonus and have signed two new minor sponsors as well. We expect that our overall sponsorship revenue for 2011 will exceed 2010

Richmond Football Club:
Re: Clinics. Dale Weightman coordinates all our supporter group involvements and we would expect that most regional areas where the club has strong support will be supported by player appearances throughout the year

[Comment From Stephen from Cairns:]
great news you are coming to Cairns for 3 years. Lots of Tiger supporters up here. There is real excitement about real footy being played here. I already have 8 friends from melbourne booked to come up.

Richmond Football Club:
We're pleased to be able to expand our reach Australia wide and look forward to playing games in both Cairns and Darwin this year, and connecting with our supporters in both those regions.

[Comment From Chara: ]
Hi Gary, Why did benny gale say members won't be compromised by the sale of 2 home games interstate? I always buy a 17 game membership so I have been compromised.

Richmond Football Club:
Brendan was referring to home games and that all members would have the opportunity to two additional away games in Melbourne as part of their membership and reserve seat holders would also be provided with reserved seats for those two games so that they were not disadvantaged.

[Comment From Peter P: ]
Afternoon Mr March - So many things are falling into place on and off field, positive vive from the pyaing side of things, good news re cricket vacating but how close are we from a major sponsor?

Richmond Football Club:
We expect to announce our new sponsors prior to Christmas

Why not approach Singapore airlines to have TIGER sponsor the club and , in the process, offer travel deals for members who now have to go interstate more than ever before?

Richmond Football Club:
Simon Derrick and his team have been diligent in putting proposals infront of nearly every major company in Australia including Tiger, unfortunately some organisations like Tiger airlines do not see AFL football as part of their brand development.

[Comment From KiwiTiger: ]
Well done on the financial result! Great to have the boys in Auckland.Can you say a brief word on Peggy H and John M's contribution to the board given we're in election mode. I know it's hard for them but maybe a quick word.

Richmond Football Club:
As part of the election process the board decided not to endorse any candidates and let the members decide. Board and Richmond Football Club policy does not allow board members or staff to post on forums for governance and confidentiality reasons however this year, RFC_Official came on board to keep our members continually informed of what was happening at the club. In relation to Peggy Haynes she chairs our fundraising and community programs and has done an outstanding job. And John is on our finance committee and historical committee and has been a valuable contributor on both

[Comment From Greggy: ]
Hi Gary, I'm really enthusiastic about our professional direction off field, is the construction of the new facilities running to schedule and will members get a chance to inspect them?

Richmond Football Club:
Facilities are nearing completion with admin moving back in prior to Christmas and football early in the new year with completion expected by March 1. We will keep you posted on opening functions and members opportunity to view the new facilities. Im pleased to say they will be the envy of all AFL clubs.

[Comment From John Sims: ]
Gary , are we making an effort to bring back some of the past players to the club - especially ones who have played in premierships .

Richmond Football Club:
We have a number of premiership players involved in our player mentor programs and we work very closely with the past players committee to keep them involved.

[Comment From Dale: ]
Where are we at with Troy Taylor?

Richmond Football Club:
Troy is back at the club and is training today, he didnt make the trip to NZ due to some visa issues but we are hopeful over the coming weeks he will be back to full fitness.

[Comment From B.J.: ]
Is "renaming" Punt Rd sacrilege? Whilst we need to keep fresh and explore other options of revenue, is there a bridge too far?

Richmond Football Club:
The naming rights option is not necessarily for the oval but rather the building. Our intention if possible is for punt road oval to always be called punt road oval. Having said that we have to seriously consider all financial offers if they are for the long term benefit of the club.

[Comment From Chris: ]
Hey Gary, thanks for spending the time to chat with us. I love the work you've done at the RFC, but why no chats / discussions with supporters away from the AGM?

Richmond Football Club:
RFC_Official is a new initative and so far I am the second to have a chat (after Blair hartley) and hopefully Brendan Gale and others will join in at selected times in 2011 and I am more than happy to come on once again in 2011.

Development/new facility looks sensational... exactly how are we going to extend the ground to fit Etihad dimentions?

Richmond Football Club:
Some of the old terrace seating is being removed so that the oval can come close to the new building and this reconfiguration will allow us to return Punt Road to a full size footblal oval.

[Comment From Guest: ]
Hi Gary, what plans have we in place to reduce our large debt? Melbourne's campaign worked very well!

Richmond Football Club:
The board and the executive have been working for the past 5 months on a program that will be launched in Feburary by Brendan Gale and this program will not only be designed to erradicate our debt but more importantly provide us with a "future fund" to enable us to be agressive and competitive in this expanding football market. Full details will be provided to members by Brendon prior to any announcement in the media. We're excited by the prospect and we think it will deliver a longterm benefit to RFC

OK, a positive question now. Thanks for the earlier answers. How have the young blokes fitted in and has the club got any former players in mind to mentor specific new players?

Richmond Football Club:
The boys have fitted in well and all are in NZ at the moment, like all new players they will have a current player as a mentor as well as a past player.

[Comment From John: ]
I am one of those estranged life long Richmond supporters from the KB years (45 years old) who is over the frustrations and likes what he sees!...I am starting to think its time for a membership!…Imagine if you can get all of us out of the woodwork then +70 thousand members is possible….any marketing plans to convert us supporter types into members…you know the ones I am talking about.

Richmond Football Club:
This year we put significant resources into our membership department now headed by Cain Liddle. And hopefully you will have seen some of those results with our fantastic new membership campaign online, interestingly in the current Deakin membership research conducted by the AFL, RFC ranked #1 for members intention to renew and ranked in the top 4 in areas of members satisfaction and communication. We are working hard to improve our membership area and communication and hopefully you will see the results of this in 2011.

[Comment From Paul: ]
Hi Gary, Brendon Gale announced that there would be a major focus on reducing the 4.5 million debt. How will this be done ?

Richmond Football Club:
In terms of detail, we are very keen to ensure that we have every aspect of our ambitious plan finalised and we expect the finer details to be completed by the end of the year. We are also keen that our membership and supporter base are first to hear those details from us directly rather than through the media and as previously advised that will be launched by Brendon in early Feburary.

[Comment From DAJ: ]
Gaz will the team be able to use all the facilities within the new PRO this preseason?

Richmond Football Club:
Yes they will move in in January

[Comment From B.J.: ]
Gary, I'm concerned about Coburg. I was over the moon when the alignment first took place in 2001 but the vibe I've got is that Tiger fans don't like supporting Coburg. Please don't let Coburg die, and if possible, revert to the Lions nickname to help preserve their spirit!

Richmond Football Club:
We are committed to the Coburg allignment and see it as one of the more positive allignments in the VFL.

[Comment From Matt: ]
Hi Gary I see young MacDonald got a plug in today's paper... how soon in the season does the club plan to give the young guys a run?

Richmond Football Club:
That's up to Damien however I would expect him to continue giving young boys opportunities as he did in 2010

[Comment From Liam Dimattina: ]
With our new home games interstate campaign expected to go on for another 3 years, is it something we would like to continue or stop once we have cleared our dept?

Richmond Football Club:
The board was very reluctant to play home games interstate. However when presented with a draft budget for 2011 the executive had no option than to put this proposal forward to the board. The deal done for Cairns allows us a level of flexibility to change the arrangement should our circumstances change financially.

[Comment From Greg: ]
Thankyou for your time Gary. Other than winning the flag this year what is a pass mark for the club?

Richmond Football Club:
A pass mark is getting one step closer to 3-0-75. Which ends with us winning our 11th premiership, everything done from board level down to our boot studder is about achieving that goal. So as long as we make inroads into our 3-0-75 objective then it will be a pass mark.

[Comment From rfc4me: ]
Hi Gary, I think you have been doing a great job, and hope you are re-elected. If so, what do you hope to achieve in your next term?

Richmond Football Club:
My main aim is to erradicate our debt in 2011 and ensure the football club's long term financial viability and give our football department every possible "tool" to assist them in winning our 11th premiership.

[Comment From Dave: ]
When the changes at Punt Road are complete, is the Cragieburn oval still going to be used much?

Richmond Football Club:
We have a commitment to Cragieburn as a developing region for potential new Tiger members and we will continue to play at least 5 games in Cragieburn in the forseeable future.

hi is bachar a tigerfor sure ??

Richmond Football Club:
Yes

[Comment From TBR TBR: ]
Gary, can the board be considered successful while the football team achieves poor results?

Richmond Football Club:
Ultimately not. As detailed in my 100 words to the members as part of the election we have achieved 3 of our goals but 2 still remain which are debt reduction and on-field success and until we achieve those two we cant be considered as successful.

[Comment From Matt Anton: ]
Hi Gary, as a passionate tigers supporter i would like to congratulate the club on its success in the latter half of the season, just wondering how "the tiger is stirring" campaign came about and is this to encourage more renewals like ben cousins brought to the club? Where abouts is the punt road oval deveopment at and when can we expect to see it finished? Cheers gary

Richmond Football Club:
The membership campaign was presented to the board by our new head of membership Cain Liddle. And it's about where we are in our journey in relation to 3-0-75. We think its a great campaign and reflective of where the club is currently.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 01:35:27 PM »

[Comment From Phil: ]
Hi Gary. What are the club's plans to reduce our debt? Why has it apparently taken so long to address this issue?
Thursday November 25, 2010 1:05 Phil
1:07

Richmond Football Club:
The reason it has taken this amount of time is primarily that the board felt before going to our members, supporters, sponsors, etc we needed to prove that we had a strong and sustainable business model and that we would not fall back into debt on the back of "capital raising". 6 consecutive profits and a strong financial result in a difficult year this year allow us to comfortabely launch our campaign and seek the support of all our constituents.

What is to happen to the tiles of names that use to be in front of the old social club?
Thursday November 25, 2010 1:08 Guest
1:08

Richmond Football Club:
They will all be relaid as part of the new development.

[Comment From Richo: ]
Hi Gary, what would you say have been the biggest changes at RFC in your time on the board?

Richmond Football Club:
The biggest changes are our overall staff has increased by 80% and football department staff has increased by 100%. Our revenue has increased by $9 million in the past 5 years and expenditure by $6 million. Football department expenditure has increased by $4 million in that time

Hi Gary, I noticed last year at the Coll Vs Richmond game that the pies very much made it their home game with all of the magpie pre-game shows on the screens showcasing their past and current young talent. It seemed like a hostile environment to an opposition supporter and they made you feel like you were on their turf. I'd love it if Richmond home games had more of a Richmond feel to them instead of a neutral feel, we need the opposition to know theyre in home and on our turf.

Richmond Football Club:
We work on improving the match day experience all the time, but we also intend on fully utilising the new Punt Road facilities when we play at the MCG as an away team to ensure we give the day a real Richmond feel.

[Comment From Pete: ]
Gary , whoever talked Benny Gale into returning to the Club deserves great credit. He is already showing himself to be a terrific CEO and obviously loves the Club . Speaks so well in the media as well.

Richmond Football Club:
In terms of board achievment, I think not only the appointment of Brendon Gale but also other key appointments including Simon Matthews, Cain Liddle, Simon Derrick, Blair Hartley and of course Damien Hardwick speak volumes for where the club is heading.

[Comment From Adam: ]
Hi Gary, where are we at with the clash guernsey? are we looking to change it every few years as some of the clubs are doing, or are we sticking with the current design? Is the current design too similar to the home guernsey to really generate merchandise revenue, and have we considered a predominantly yellow design?

Richmond Football Club:
We are constantly fighting with the AFL in regards to us ever having to wear our clash guernsey. It is our preference not to wear a clash guernsey and we dont envisage changing our current clash guernsey in the near future.

[Comment From David: ]
Hello Gary, now the deal is off with North playing in Hobart for the time being, is there a chance of selling two home games or revisiting the original Tassy plan? There are a lot of tigers supports in Tassy?

Richmond Football Club:
We love the support we get in Tasmania and Dale Weightman is working hard with our supporter groups down there, however we are not looking to play games in Hobart in the future and I expect in the coming years all games will be played in Melbourne.

[Comment From Gus: ]
Hi Gary - how is Ben Griffiths going with his injured shoulder?

Richmond Football Club:
He is training well and we are confident that he will be available for round 1

[Comment From Ernie: ]
Is the debt program similar to Melbourne's 'debt demolition' or will it be something totally different?

Richmond Football Club:
No, it will be a different campaign and more about the future rather than just debt reduction. In Melbourne's case they have still not returned to regular operating profits so their situation is different than ours going forward.

[Comment From Liam Dimattina: ]
Do the club plan on giving brad miller a permanent spot in the line up? or will he be used more as a back up?

Richmond Football Club:
That's a football question, however I believe the club will be offering Brad a mature age rookie spot in the up-coming rookie draft.

[Comment From Kev: ]
Gary 4 years ago you promised no home games interstate why has this changed? If its part of the debt reduction and if so will we abandon the idea once the club is out of the red?

Richmond Football Club:
It changed because the executive presented budgets that showed significant deficits and the board required them to reduce those deficitis before adopting the budgets. Brendon presented the opportunity to play in Cairns and the financial benefit was compelling in our current situation. I can assure you when we have erradicated our debt the board will not sign off on any interstate home games.

are you concerned that polo will become a star with the saints?

Richmond Football Club:
We wish Dean well at his new club but in the end that is a list management decision and the board has no input into those matters.

[Comment From GP: ]
Gary i think you're doing a terrific job, except i still believe there's not enough done on fhe branding........and some of the marketing campaigns of late are weak.....nonetheless i cant wait for the sucess...this town will learn what happens when the giant awakwens !

Richmond Football Club:
We have been aware of this and it is why we added a significant number of senior staff to the administration in 2010 and we are strating to see the results of that now.

[Comment From Tigermad: ]
Thankyou for your time. The club looks to be moving forward for the 1st time in a long time. Who do you see as the players to watch this year?

Richmond Football Club:
I'm biased but definitly Dustin Martin. Reece Conca will be a star and I expect David Astbury to consolidate his position as a key defencive back for our club.

[Comment From Ernie: ]
Do we have plans to update our logo as the current one is 15 years old?

Richmond Football Club:
This is something that Brendon Gale and his team have been looking in to and any changes will come with some form of consultation with our membership base.

reducing the 4.5 million debt. - no shame copying the Demond approach, I'm sure we have many generous Tigers who can open up their wallets

Richmond Football Club:
Rest assured our campaign is going to target a large number of "well healed" Richmond supporters

[Comment From Chara Chara: ]
One more quick one Gary, why will the club be getting rid of the Grand final guarantee addition to current memberships? It was sold to us as being a permanent fixyure now we are tiold it will be phased out?

Richmond Football Club:
I wasn't aware it was being phased out, and I will discuss with Cain Liddle and come back to you

[Comment From Kolchy: ]
What do you think are the challenges for the club over the next 12 months? We seem to have had a fantastic past 12 months (new coach, new CEO, better than expected off-field, new sense of direction etc) so what are the next set of challenges?

Richmond Football Club:
Debt reduction, reshaping and resurfacing of Punt Rd and continue to invest more resources into our development area of the football department.

[Comment From rob: ]
Hi Gary, How long is a board term. I heard you were planning to step down as president at the end of next year? Any truth?

Richmond Football Club:
Board term is 3 years and I plan to see out my term if I am re-elected

[Comment From Jim from Burwood Jim: ]
Hi Gary, Brendan Gale 12 months ago announced the goal of 3 top 8 (including 1 top 4 finish) by 2014. 12 months on, is the club still confident that this goal is achievable?

Richmond Football Club:
Yes it was an ambitious plan but one we stand by. 2011 is another stepping stone to achieving that goal and we are still confident that we can achieve the stated results by 2014.

Gary thanks for making yourself self accessible, apart from the due process (board elections) we want to hear very little from you and let the action of the team do all the talking. I genuinely feel for the first time in 20 years we are finally on the right tack in all aspects at the RFC.. Thank you

Richmond Football Club:
Thank you, it was my intention once Brendon Gale came on board that he spoke on behalf of the club and that I only speak on matters that directly relate to the board.

[Comment From Tigermad: ]
Gary how long do you see yourself been president of our great club. I think you have said in the past that it was not for the long term.

Richmond Football Club:
I am seeking one more term and most likely I would look at succession planning during that term.

is nathan axel foley fit for the season 2011

Richmond Football Club:
Caught up with Axel last week, he is progressing extremely well and he is very confident of playing in Round 1

[Comment From toby: ]
impressive membership figures gary, 11,225

Richmond Football Club:
Its a fantastic result and it's the cornerstone of our club. I personally think we have the most passionate and committed membership base in the AFL and we are really hoping to build that beyond 45,000 this year.

[Comment From deano: ]
Hi Gary, is there any chance Matty Knights would be welcomed back in his capacity as a past player in a mentoring role or similar?

Richmond Football Club:
That's a football department decision, however as a past player he would be welcome in a player mentoring role.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 01:54:06 PM »
[Comment From frank: ]
hi gary, how about pushing for a community camp in south west victoria, i.e warrnambool, port fairy?? there are many passionate tigers in this region

Richmond Football Club:
2011 community camp will be in Darwin as part of the aboriginal all-stars game, we will be looking with the AFL to broaden our reach in 2012-14 to include other areas in which the Tigers have a strong support base.

Will Richo still be involved at the club in 2011?

Richmond Football Club:
Yes he will, and he will also be involved in our campaign to be announced in Feb

[Comment From Richo: ]
Gary, I'd hope plans don't end with the 11th premiership, what about 12, 13 14?!

Richmond Football Club:
So do I

NZ Update: Green Team took a dip in a hot spring south of Auckland. Weather much nicer than Melbourne apparently. Certain coterie members struggled to get their bearings but did find the Viaduct area!

[Comment From John: ]
Hi Gary, how long does the Club expect to be selling home games to Cairns and Dawrin, and how much profit is the club making by selling the home games?

Richmond Football Club:
The only reason we have sold games is based on a pure financial reason and it has been done so to allow us to continue to invest money in our football department.

[Comment From watige: ]
Gary, You siad in an earlier post that board memebers were not being allowed to post on forums etc. Is that also true for the election campaigning - the two guys who are running in competition are well and truly into it and this may be hurting the chances of the incumbent members? Will the current members be allowed to use these media types during thier campaigns?

Richmond Football Club:
I have advised both candidates that they would not be allowed to post if they were elected and I agree that both Peggy and John are at a disadvantage however I would hope that most members would appreciate the work they have both done over the past 3 years and judge them on that.

[Comment From Ryan:]
Is Ben Cousins still helping the club out in anyway? Eg Mentoring or coaching? Every now and then?

Richmond Football Club:
Ben has taken a job outside of football as he felt he needed a break from AFL. Many of us continue our contact with him and expect to see him at a number of Richmond games next year

[Comment From al: ]
Hi gary, besides cost, what other advantages are there to being affiliated with coburg rather than running a stand alone team in the VFL

Richmond Football Club:
Cost is a big one. It will cost us at least $500k to have a stand alone team but also we would require to increase our support staff to cater for the increased number of players and official involved.

:39

[Comment From GP: ]
Gary why is the club persisting with the members recognition program. I am an AFL member with richmond support, i'd been a member of RFC for 15 years and skipped one year which it then reverted back to the beginning. I dont think the current benefits are incentives.

Richmond Football Club:
The member recognition program is to encourage long-term involvement with the football club and recognise those members continuous contribution. Any member that lapses for only one year should contact the membership department (1300 RICHMOND) as I am sure there is an arrangement for members such as yourself.

[Comment From ryan: ]
I am very concerned at the lack of Indiginous players in our team. instead of placing time on expensive international recruites, we should be spending more effort on local Aussie indiginous players. It disappointes us all , each year in the Indiginous round our team has the least representaion of these players. You look at the sucess of other clubs and you see the influence of indiginous players.

Richmond Football Club:
It's true the club parted company with 4 indigenous players this year. 3 of those were purely based on football ability and list management decisions, in the case of Richard Tambling he sought a trade as he felt it would be best for his football and the club agreed. It's something we are addressing and indeed is an entire AFL issue as 22 indigineous players were delisted in 2010.

[Comment From Grace: ]
in your honest opinion do you think that David Astbury is more of a backman or a forward? because i see him more as a backman..

Richmond Football Club:
I like him as a backman as well, and I think it's the coaches intention to play him in a key defencive role.

[Comment From cm: ]
Does part of the plan to utilise Punt Road oval on game days include a return to playing some VFL games there as curtain raisers?

Richmond Football Club:
That is something we are exploring with the VFL and we would like to seee happen by 2012.

[Comment From Pete: ]
Gary , I know you have answered a lot of questions on debt but you said earlier you want to eradicate the debt in 2011. That's a $4.5 million cash generation . That's a massive aim for one year

Richmond Football Club:
Yes it is, however our campaign is aggressive and achievable and our aim is to not only erradicate debt but also have a "future fund".

[Comment From Richard English: ]
HI Gary, how good is it going to be smashing the blues in round one?

Richmond Football Club:
Great, and interestingly in their financial results they trumpetted a $2.2m profit when actually after stripping out government grants they made an operating loss of $125k. So it will be even sweeter when we smash them round 1.

[Comment From Russell: ]
Does the club realise the impact on junior Richmond supporters continually changing the jumper numbers of junior players especially the practice of giving the captain number 17 when Jack Dyer essentially means nothing to todays young supporters.

Richmond Football Club:
Player jumper changes are inevitible at every club, Damien is very keen to ensure young players earn the right to wear a low number, the club and the playing group feel strongly about the number 17 as it represents the most iconic player to ever play for this football club.

[Comment From Paul: ]
Do you have any idea what number reece conca wil wear?

Richmond Football Club:
I have no idea, but I hope number 36 so I dont have to change some of boys guernseys.

Gary - How do you type so quickly?

Richmond Football Club:
He has a little help

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/theclub/garymarchchat/tabid/16923/default.aspx

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 12:10:43 AM »
Quote from: Gary March
Re: Sponsor. Simon Derrick and Brendan Gale have ben working on negotiations with a number of parties regarding major sponsor and potential naming rights for PRO and are confident we will announce those before Christmas. It's significant to understand that 5 clubs are in the market for major sponsors as well as 6 NRL teams. Pleasingly we have retained our majors from this year in a reduced capacity which is a bonus and have signed two new minor sponsors as well. We expect that our overall sponsorship revenue for 2011 will exceed 2010

Simon Derrick and his team have been diligent in putting proposals infront of nearly every major company in Australia including Tiger, unfortunately some organisations like Tiger airlines do not see AFL football as part of their brand development.
Tiger airways wouldn't be allowed to be a AFL club major sponsor anyway.

Fingers crossed we do have both new major sponsors signed up before Christmas.

The naming rights option is not necessarily for the oval but rather the building. Our intention if possible is for punt road oval to always be called punt road oval. Having said that we have to seriously consider all financial offers if they are for the long term benefit of the club.
I would've thought it'd be a lot easier (not to mention receive more $$$) to find a naming rights sponsor for the whole oval than just the new building given the media would use the sponsors name when referring to it or doing a cross from the ground back to the studio; where as they wouldn't use the sponsor's name if only the building was sponsored. The main purpose of naming rights to $$$ for the Club and mass publicity for the potential sponsor. You'd have a sign on the Punt Rd side of the ground with the Sponsor's name - eg: "Commonwealth Oval/Park/Centre/...."

Hi Gary, what plans have we in place to reduce our large debt? Melbourne's campaign worked very well!

Richmond Football Club:
The board and the executive have been working for the past 5 months on a program that will be launched in Feburary by Brendan Gale and this program will not only be designed to erradicate our debt but more importantly provide us with a "future fund" to enable us to be agressive and competitive in this expanding football market. Full details will be provided to members by Brendon prior to any announcement in the media. We're excited by the prospect and we think it will deliver a longterm benefit to RFC

In terms of detail, we are very keen to ensure that we have every aspect of our ambitious plan finalised and we expect the finer details to be completed by the end of the year. We are also keen that our membership and supporter base are first to hear those details from us directly rather than through the media and as previously advised that will be launched by Brendon in early Feburary.

The reason it has taken this amount of time is primarily that the board felt before going to our members, supporters, sponsors, etc we needed to prove that we had a strong and sustainable business model and that we would not fall back into debt on the back of "capital raising". 6 consecutive profits and a strong financial result in a difficult year this year allow us to comfortabely launch our campaign and seek the support of all our constituents.

The only reason we have sold games is based on a pure financial reason and it has been done so to allow us to continue to invest money in our football department.

No, it will be a different campaign [to Melbourne's] and more about the future rather than just debt reduction. In Melbourne's case they have still not returned to regular operating profits so their situation is different than ours going forward.
Interesting to see what the Club has planned if it's a different program to Melbourne's. It's going to be a massive task to raise $4.5m - let alone more than that if they want a future fund as well - with little to no on-field success to push it along. We did raise close to a $1m in 1990 for SOS so 20 years on in today's money we could achieve the $4.5m but going by March's answer we aren't necessarily planning on a rattling tins.

Btw good luck stopping it from leaking out early to supporters and the media Gary  :D

[Comment From Gus: ]
Hi Gary - how is Ben Griffiths going with his injured shoulder?

Richmond Football Club:
He is training well and we are confident that he will be available for round 1
What a bonus that would be :pray

[Comment From Kev: ]
Gary 4 years ago you promised no home games interstate why has this changed? If its part of the debt reduction and if so will we abandon the idea once the club is out of the red?

Richmond Football Club:
It changed because the executive presented budgets that showed significant deficits and the board required them to reduce those deficitis before adopting the budgets. Brendon presented the opportunity to play in Cairns and the financial benefit was compelling in our current situation. I can assure you when we have erradicated our debt the board will not sign off on any interstate home games.
Let's hope that is the case and we have all 11 home games at the 'G!

[Comment From Chara Chara: ]
One more quick one Gary, why will the club be getting rid of the Grand final guarantee addition to current memberships? It was sold to us as being a permanent fixyure now we are tiold it will be phased out?

Richmond Football Club:
I wasn't aware it was being phased out, and I will discuss with Cain Liddle and come back to you
??? My membership renewal still has the GF guarantee so it must still exist.

[Comment From Jim from Burwood Jim: ]
Hi Gary, Brendan Gale 12 months ago announced the goal of 3 top 8 (including 1 top 4 finish) by 2014. 12 months on, is the club still confident that this goal is achievable?

Richmond Football Club:
Yes it was an ambitious plan but one we stand by. 2011 is another stepping stone to achieving that goal and we are still confident that we can achieve the stated results by 2014.
I would love it to happen but wishful thinking Gary if you think we're going to play finals in 2012  :-\

Richmond Football Club:
Caught up with Axel last week, he is progressing extremely well and he is very confident of playing in Round 1
:pray

Another fingers crossed given Axel has hardly played over the past two years

[Comment From Ryan:]
Is Ben Cousins still helping the club out in anyway? Eg Mentoring or coaching? Every now and then?

Richmond Football Club:
Ben has taken a job outside of football as he felt he needed a break from AFL. Many of us continue our contact with him and expect to see him at a number of Richmond games next year

Interesting to see if Cuz does come back eventually in some mentoring role. If he gets settled outside of footy and life is going good it's hard to see him coming back.

Richmond Football Club:
The member recognition program is to encourage long-term involvement with the football club and recognise those members continuous contribution. Any member that lapses for only one year should contact the membership department (1300 RICHMOND) as I am sure there is an arrangement for members such as yourself.
Don't we have a poster or two on OER in the same situation where they missed just one year? It might be an idea to ring the club a.s.a.p.

Does part of the plan to utilise Punt Road oval on game days include a return to playing some VFL games there as curtain raisers?

Richmond Football Club:
That is something we are exploring with the VFL and we would like to seee happen by 2012.
Let's hope so. Bring back the curtain raisers :yep

Richmond Football Club:
Great, and interestingly in their financial results they trumpetted a $2.2m profit when actually after stripping out government grants they made an operating loss of $125k. So it will be even sweeter when we smash them round 1.
I'm sure the Blues will have some spare cash in brown paper bags around the place under a desk or two  :whistle
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd