Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 917663 times)

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #6705 on: May 22, 2024, 09:07:56 AM »
I seriously think if he just stays permanently in the middle (displacing Dow) and he and Prestia/Taranto/Bolton whoever is fit lines up with him his form will sky rocket. Basically what mcqualter did post Hardwick ‘s experiment of him as a permanent forward

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6706 on: May 22, 2024, 09:17:48 AM »
I seriously think if he just stays permanently in the middle (displacing Dow) and he and Prestia/Taranto/Bolton whoever is fit lines up with him his form will sky rocket. Basically what mcqualter did post Hardwick ‘s experiment of him as a permanent forward

At this stage the development of others is more important though. Even if it is Dow, atleast why find out about him

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6707 on: May 22, 2024, 09:34:16 AM »
I’m probably coming off as impatient but I think we have enough of a sample size to show that Dow can’t play inside midfield. At least until he is stronger and doesn’t get pushed around so easily (got absolutely molested by Rowell and Anderson). I don’t know if he’s fast enough to play on the outside though. Can dow do a lambert and be an arc to arc midfielder?

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6708 on: May 22, 2024, 09:41:40 AM »
lamington Dow is absolutely hopeless. I will save you the trouble. He is not the future and the dow brothers are more suited to netball than afl and that is no disrespect to some of the netballers.

forget him he is not the future.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6709 on: May 22, 2024, 10:22:54 AM »
Dusty as a permanent forward has never worked IMO, despite all the media hype about him kicking 60-70 goals if he was a permanent forward lol.

He is best as a mid/forward mix always and when we are getting smashed every week he basically doesn't exist with the rest of our forward line.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #6710 on: May 22, 2024, 12:27:57 PM »
lamington Dow

His new nick name...somehow fitting...soft & crumbly....a cream puff inside...gets team mates in a jam with his hospital hand passes.. :shh

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6711 on: May 22, 2024, 09:10:26 PM »
Why Richmond champion Dustin Martin will not conduct interviews ahead of game 300

By Anna Pavlou
13 hours ago

Dustin Martin will not conduct any interviews ahead of his 300th AFL game for Richmond.

Martin is undoubtedly one of the greatest Tigers to ever pull on the jumper and is currently sitting on 297 appearances for the club.

His collection across those games includes three premierships, three Norm Smith Medals, a Brownlow Medal and four All-Australian blazers.

"Part of the conversation (within Richmond) is that there will be no press conference or interview or along those sort of lines," Fox Footy's Glenn McFarlane said on Tuesday night.

"It is a shame.
"We saw a little bit of that with Buddy (Lance Franklin). But I think we've seen Buddy give back in a sense, since his retirement."

Franklin is one of the greatest players to ever lace up a boot but was famously media-shy and shunned a public profile.

Martin has reportedly agreed to a watered-down celebration ahead of his 300th game.

"What he will do and what he's agreed to do, is be in a photo with the five other living Richmond 300-gamers," McFarlane said.

Martin will be joined in that photo by former teammates Jack Reiwoldt, Shane Edwards and Trent Cotchin, as well as Kevin Bartlett, Wayne Campbell and Francis Bourke

They are just six of the seven Tigers 300-gamers.

On top of that, Richmond has also confirmed the club is producing a Martin documentary, with his former coach Damien Hardwick part of the special video.

It comes as Martin's mega nine-year deal comes to an end in 2024.

Martin is now 32, and questions are naturally arising about what the next chapter of his career holds - whether that be retirement, another year in the yellow and black, or even a move to a rival club.

Despite being lauded by outgoing Richmond CEO Brendon Gale, who will depart at the end of the season to take over as the new leader of the league's 19th franchise in Tasmania, the Tigers may be heading in a direction that doesn't include Martin.

"He's one I'm looking in the eye and saying, 'Dusty, how bad do you want this? Do you want to be playing in a bottom four side next year or not? If you aren't willing for that fight, we'd prefer to move you on'," Matthew Lloyd said on Nine's Footy Classified.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/news-2024-dustin-martin-game-300-richmond-tigers-no-interviews-jack-riewoldt/3e41cfb6-eaae-43ff-9955-a2429c03c2e6
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6712 on: May 22, 2024, 10:52:10 PM »
Good on him! F the media

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #6713 on: May 22, 2024, 11:42:10 PM »
Good on him! F the media

Rich after you've spent the last fortnight putting shyte on him.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6714 on: May 23, 2024, 12:40:39 AM »
“Five or six clubs have expressed an interest” in champion player: AFL Trade news

Dustin Martin is reportedly on the radar of up to half a dozen rival clubs as he comes out of contract at Punt Road.

Aidan Cellini
zerohanger.com
May 22, 2024

It seems like a weekly discussion point but the future surrounding Dustin Martin has circled back into conversation as the Richmond champion nears his 300th milestone game.

Sitting on 297 matches for the Tigers with a stacked resume that rivals the greatest players ever to play the game, Martin who is not contracted beyond 2024 reportedly has a host of clubs "expressing interest".

Senior journalist Jon Ralph has revealed that up to half a dozen clubs are beginning to consider making a play for the three-time Norm Smith medallist while his future at Punt Road is uncertain.

DUSTIN MARTIN
Forward

Richmond
2024 SEASON AVG
19 disposals
4.8 marks
0.5 goals
“So many mixed messages. His teammates think like he's likely to retire. They feel like, not that he's checked out, but certainly that he's lost the passion,” Ralph said on Fox Footy's Midweek tackle.

“They also feel like he wouldn't go to a club like Gold Coast because you've got to learn 40 new names. He's just too shy.

“But there are a few people out there close to him that have said five or six clubs have expressed an interest.

“I just think what happens when you have a coffee date up there at the Burleigh Pavilion with Damien Hardwick?

“Funny things can happen and you can go from being very, very unmotivated, to just having the fire in the belly once Damien Hardwick does special things with you.”

https://www.zerohanger.com/five-or-six-clubs-have-expressed-an-interest-in-champion-player-afl-trade-news-151002/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6715 on: May 23, 2024, 12:41:38 AM »
"He's just been under siege more so in his career than I've ever seen before."

Lloydy on the 'sad' scenario surrounding Dustin Martin ahead of his 300th in the weeks to come, and what the Tigers can do to get the best out of their champion.

https://x.com/FootyonNine/status/1793215996205191527

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6716 on: May 23, 2024, 12:49:39 AM »

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6717 on: May 23, 2024, 02:43:40 AM »
Good on him! F the media

Rich after you've spent the last fortnight putting shyte on him.... :shh
No, I'm questioning his form, not him as a person. Big difference.  Reality is his form has been very poor for his standards. You can't seperate the 2, I can!
He has a major chip on his shoulder with the AFL, THE media and government and rightly so.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6718 on: May 23, 2024, 06:30:18 AM »
Who can blame him?

He wasn't the only one. I  suspect the afl hatred against us ramped up after Covid  :shh
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6719 on: May 23, 2024, 09:21:51 AM »
No hard feelings if he wants to play elsewhere but I'm hoping he retires a 1 club champion.

Can't wait to see the doco.

His 2017 highlights still give me tingles in my crotch.