Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 940274 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #6750 on: May 28, 2024, 03:16:10 PM »
IIRC it was on the oval at Punt Road during  pre-season training before he'd even played a game...... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6751 on: May 28, 2024, 05:53:23 PM »
IIRC it was on the oval at Punt Road during  pre-season training before he'd even played a game...... :shh

Correct a couple of days after he'd been drafted

Media there and all they wanted to see and talk about was the single tatt he had on his stomach

And after she spoke a few choice to the media Tony Jones from Ch9 had an almighty sook about it  :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6752 on: May 28, 2024, 06:08:14 PM »
Iconic interview that one

Don’t think the media manager lasted much longer though did she?

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #6753 on: May 28, 2024, 06:16:51 PM »
Was also a couple of occasions during his 2017 contract negotiations that they pushed him too far and he left Choco Williams standing there to deal with it

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6754 on: May 28, 2024, 07:52:57 PM »
Iconic interview that one

Don’t think the media manager lasted much longer though did she?

Yes she quit not longer after that, nothing to do with that interview

She quit... I know her quite well and will stress she quit

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6755 on: May 29, 2024, 12:16:50 AM »
‘He will retire temporarily’: AFL champ’s shocking Dusty ‘mail’

NCA Newswire
May 28th, 2024 4:17 pm

Former Carlton star Brendan Fevola has dropped a Dustin Martin bombshell declaring the Richmond goliath will retire as soon as he reaches his 300 game milestone and potentially move to the Gold Coast in 2025.

Martin, 32, is in the final year of a mega seven-year contract at Punt Road and has been linked to both a move away, possibly to the Suns, as well as pulling the pin entirely.

The triple-premiership star turned back the clock at the MCG last Saturday night booting three goals in Richmond’s narrow loss to Essendon in the Dreamtime clash as evidence he still has more in the tank.

But just two games away from becoming the seventh Richmond player to reach the 300-game milestone, Fevola said he had “mail” the Martin would end his career at the Tigers on the spot but just “temporarily”, before possibly resurfacing with the Suns and former coach Damien Hardwick.

“They want to play him at the MCG (against Hawthorn) for his 300th game. Dusty has been waiting for his 300th game. There’s a lot of rumours about him and next year, whether he will retire or play somewhere else,” Fevola told his Fifi, Fev & Nick radio show on Tuesday morning.

“My mail is that he will retire after he plays his 300th game. Say thank you to the Richmond fans after his 300th. Have a couple of months off. Get fit. Get his head right.

“His manager has been looking at real estate in the Gold Coast for Dusty to move up and rekindle his friendship with (Richmond premiership coach) Damien Hardwick, who now coaches the Gold Coast Suns.

“He’ll be getting paid a lot of money to go up to the Gold Coast, sit at full-forward, help those young kids; they’ve never played finals before in their history. So, they’ll get him up there and be the centrepiece of Queensland football.”

“I think the (Richmond) footy club already knows he’s going to leave. They know in their heart of hearts. So, they might say, ‘Hey mate, if you’re leaving – retire. We’ll give you a retirement game.’ He’s out of contract.”

The Tigers have won just a single game in 2024, which could hasten Martin’s exit.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/he-will-retire-temporarily-afl-champs-shocking-dusty-mail/news-story/7d40bce48a9c08111916aceec0eaf6e2

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6756 on: May 29, 2024, 12:20:57 AM »
Whateley and Robbo.

Will Dustin Martin still be at the Tigers next season?

https://x.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1795386088250302971

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6757 on: May 29, 2024, 12:24:26 AM »

Correct a couple of days after he'd been drafted

Media there and all they wanted to see and talk about was the single tatt he had on his stomach

And after she spoke a few choice to the media Tony Jones from Ch9 had an almighty sook about it  :rollin

On page 12 of this thread. From Nov 29, 2009, just after Dusty got drafted.

Story on the Herald-Sun site already  ::).....

Uproar over Tiger Dustin Martin's tattoo
Daryl Timms From: Herald Sun November 29, 2009

RICHMOND clearly believes one high-profile player with emblazened tattoos is enough after cutting short inquiries on Dustin Martin's chest tattoos.

Martin has a large tattoo ''Live Free. Die Free'' inked on his chest and was repeatedly questions about it at a media call yesterday.

He said it was a motto followed him himself and his father, with the pair deciding to apply it to their bodies for life.

But when he was asked several times to lift his shirt by Channel Seven's Leith Mulligan a media minder stepped in, conscious of the club's image.A heated exchanged followed, with both sides unwilling to back down.

Ben Cousins continues to draw attention for his ''Such Is Life'' tattoo, but you get the feeling their no. 3 draft selection will be covering up at all times.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/uproar-over-tiger-dustin-martins-tattoo/story-e6frf9jf-1225805121728

Ch 9 news tonight showed Martin's first RFC media conference and a journo asked to see his "live free, die free" tattoo on his stomach and the Club's media manager replied with "don't be effing ridiculous"  :-\

Ch 9 then showed pictures of Cuz shirtless with his "such is life" tatt being led away by the police and they said Cuz has something in common with Richmond's newest recruit  ::)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6758 on: May 29, 2024, 07:23:47 AM »
And people wonder why he is gun shy with the media.

I can imagine Robbo saying “But that was years ago ….. LOOK AT THE MOON!”
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #6759 on: May 29, 2024, 08:55:34 AM »
Remember the fiasco when Ben Cousins gave the finger to a security camera in a joking manner and how the media treated that lot.
I am 100% in support of whatever decision Dusty makes and frankly I hope he and the club stick it to the AFL and media.
The way RFC is treated regarding the bias re free kick differential is a disgrace.

Not that I am bitter and twisted about it..,….😳

Online Wazza

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6760 on: May 29, 2024, 02:24:21 PM »
Let's be honest, even if dusty did and interview, we all know the questions they will fire at him....
"Dusty how is your contract negotiations going,"
"Dusty, can you see yourself with Hardwick and GCFC next year,"
Etc etc.
Good on him. Do it your way Dusty, it's your 300th.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6761 on: May 29, 2024, 06:59:06 PM »
Dustin Martin holds up his end of the bargain as the AFL’s silent superstar

Richmond’s triple premiership player and Norm Smith medallist lets his football do the talking – and the game is better for it

Jonathan Horn
Guardian Australia
Wed 29 May 2024 16.15 AEST

If you sit close enough to the fence at Richmond games, you’ll hear him. On the interchange bench, he’ll scream at the runner; “Get me on!” When he calls for the ball, you’ll hear the slap of his hands; “Here!” Mostly it’s an unintelligible but unarguable demand. He roars, they give, and then he strikes.

Off the field however, we’ve never really heard much from Dustin Martin. He’s never let us in. In Konrad Marshall’s books chronicling Richmond’s premierships, he was a mostly silent presence. Those who love him – his family, his junior coaches, his mentors and his teammates – always mention his shyness. In interviews, the impression has always been of a man looking for exits.

As he approaches his 300th game, and rumours over his playing future swirl, that reticence is increasingly newsworthy. As per the AFL and AFLPA’s collective bargaining agreement, there is pressure on him to do a press conference, to feed the chooks, to give us something, anything.

“He has an obligation to the game,” SEN boss Craig Hutchison said on his Sounding Board podcast this week. “He’s part of the entertainment product. I had the same view when ‘Buddy’ retired, where he didn’t pay the football public the respect it deserved. The AFL need to say ‘hey, listen, I don’t care if you’re comfortable or not, this is what we expect of you that week.’”

Hutchison has a business to run, bills to pay, content to fill and a long-standing frustration that our local stars aren’t as verbose and accessible as the champions of the NFL and NBA. That’s not to say footballers don’t have interesting things to say. There’s still excellent profiles, whether from journalists or increasingly from the clubs themselves. But when a footballer is wheeled out against their will, they invariably end up saying nothing. Three quarters of the population seem to speak like that now – bankers at Royal Commissions, local councillors, The Bachelor contestants and contested ball beasts. It’s the murder of words, and of meaning.

Compared to America, the relationship between our superstars and the media is a little more strained and conditional. There are rules. Don’t criticise the opposition, your teammates, the umpires, the game plan, the media. Don’t smile after losses. Don’t adjust your headband. Don’t speak honestly after a few beers at the best and fairest. Don’t go on holiday at the end of the season. For players like Martin and Lance ‘Buddy’ Franklin, it’s often easier to opt out altogether.

That’s not always a bad thing. Sometimes a little mystery, and a lot of silence, only adds to your appreciation of an athlete. Carlton champion Bruce Doull spoke only in emergencies. His football, teammate Brent Croswell later wrote, had “a moral purity about it.” His football said everything that needed to be said.

On the flipside, and everything about him was on the flipside, there was Gary Ablett Snr. Gary perfected the art of saying absolutely nothing, yet still leaving the questioner open mouthed. I once saw him interviewed by Sam Newman, not a man easily impressed or awestruck. As Ablett trotted out his banalities, Newman was like a giddy schoolboy.

Towards the end of his career, he started a newspaper column. He could surf the crest of a pack, prop, pivot, and slot a goal on his wrong foot with the ease of a man tying a shoelace. But he was no W.C Heinz. His column was a bust. He had one of our best sportswriters ghost-writing it, but Ablett was too guarded and too difficult to say anything remotely interesting. And every time that column was published, a little bit of the magic faded.

Martin clearly isn’t the player he once was. After such a good run with injuries, his body’s accountants have started to redress the ledger. But he can still buckle his swash. On Saturday night, he had a full house, a game with weight, and a lot of people writing him off. His first quarter goal – the way he didn’t buckle at the spine, the shrug, the rapid steps, the predatory air that he projects like no other footballer I’ve seen – was a snapshot of everything that has made him great.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/article/2024/may/29/dustin-martin-300-games-richmond-tigers

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6762 on: May 29, 2024, 10:41:42 PM »
IMHO

The only interview leading up to his 300th Dusty needs to do is with the RFC media department for the RFC website.

That's it

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6763 on: May 29, 2024, 10:49:58 PM »
IMHO

The only interview leading up to his 300th Dusty needs to do is with the RFC media department for the RFC website.

That's it

bingo. For the members. :thumbsup
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #6764 on: May 30, 2024, 12:27:15 AM »
Dunno if I agree or disagree
Do the contracts signed by the players include anything in regards to media ??