Author Topic: Ando's Club Countdown: Richmond (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1950 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ando's Club Countdown: Richmond (Herald-Sun)
« on: November 12, 2009, 02:03:48 AM »
I couldn't find this on the net so I scanned it in....

ANDO'S COUNTDOWN
By Jon Anderson
Thurs 12 Nov 2009, Page 102

DRAFT 14 DAYS TO GO

RICHMOND

TEN years of poor drafting at the top level has left the Tigers with a list that requires some miracle work on November 26.

All but guaranteed is that Richmond will take the best available player with pick 3, not attempt to fill some obvious holes. That will be Bendigo Pioneers midfielder Dustin Martin, a player ready to play alongside Brett Deledio, Trent Cotchin, Ben Cousins and Nathan Foley.

There are no guarantees when your second pick is 19 that the quality of players Richmond wants, key forward and key back, will be available, so it may go in a different direction.

In recent years WAFL players such as Matt Priddis, Bradd Dalziell and Harry Taylor have entered the AFL as mature-bodied, ready-made senior players.

And the Tigers need experience, given the games they have lost with the departures of Joel Bowden, Nathan Brown, Mark Coughlan, Kane Johnson and Kayne Pettifer.

Look for them to try and find a ready-made player with picks 35 and 44, while 19 is still likely to be used on the best young talent remaining.

PICKS 3, 19, 35, 44, 51, 67, 72

WEAKNESSES:

Richo aside, the Tigers have been weak up forward since the days of Michael Roach and for just as long in defence. But we play a game designed around midfielders, so that is the priority, and Richmond needs highly skilled types. The Tigers, more than any side, have been let down by skill errors during the past eight miserable years, so any player coming in must be highly proficient with hand and foot.

RUCK:

Won't be their first priority. They still have Troy Simmonds, 31, who can play when his body allows, and project players in Tyrone Vickery, Angus Graham and Andrew Browne.

FORWARD AND BACK:

After stuffing around for years up forward with Jay Schulz and Cleve Hughes, Richmond will put its time into Vickery. Jayden Post, Luke McGuane, Kelvin Moore, Alex Rance and Will Thursfield are other talls who have to step up.

THE ANALYSIS

If they get Dustin Martin at three, there won't be any disappointed Tiger supporters. He has that breakaway speed and strong body that makes him very hard to tackle. He can break a game open and is a powerful kick with either foot.

"If they decide to use 19 on a tall key back or forward, they will be waiting and hoping to see what other clubs do. Maybe Jake Carlisle could get through and will be a very good pick-up if he does. Carlisle and Daniel Talia are similar in that they are genuine size (196-197cm) and can play either end."
- AFL talent development officer Kevin Sheehan.

DRAFT PICKS 2000-2009

VALUE PICKS: Luke McGuane (36), Daniel Jackson (53), Chris Newman (55), Shane Tuck (73), Jayden Post (26)

DIDN'T WORK: Jay Schulz (12), Danny Meyer (12), Adam Pattison (16), Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls (8 )

ROOKIE GEMS: Nathan Foley, Kelvin Moore, Robin Nahas

WILDCARD: Ben Cousins

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ando's Club Countdown: Richmond (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 08:28:31 AM »
Well, Jon Anderson has just shown himself to be as big a dill as most other print journalists.  Vickery - a top 10 draft pick - a project player?  What the?

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 12:49:21 PM »
Well, Jon Anderson has just shown himself to be as big a dill as most other print journalists.  Vickery - a top 10 draft pick - a project player?  What the?

Well you would think a pick 10 wouldnt be a project but most rucks take quiet a few years to get to the top so in that sence he is a project. I dont want to seem negative about the guy as I am sure he will come on leaps and bounds but he didnt show as much as I had hoped for a top 10 pick. Maybe I was just disapointed Rich didnt fall one more spot as Vickery's year didnt compare to many others of the draft.

Heres hoping he lives up to the Hype in the next few season. I will be very happy then    :gotigers
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Con65

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 01:28:45 PM »
I think Vickery went as well as can be expected for a big guy...

My problem with the Anderson article is that it has a glaring hole when he speak of our forwards - has he not met cousin Jack?  He speaks of time spent on Sarge and Hughes, but they were both out of the team as time was spent developing cousin Jack last year.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 10:19:52 PM »
Vickery did fairly well for his debut year I thought. He's more a ruckman long-term but needs to get bigger before we throw him the reigns.

We still lack a big key forward to kick long to when other options aren't there but from an scoring point of view our forward line wasn't necessarily the problem this year. When we got it inside 50 we were still fairly efficient at scoring. We just didn't get it in there nowhere near enough and if the ball hits the deck we still let the opposition clear out far too easily to hurt us on the rebound.

With Richo retiring we may be more eagar now to go tall at 19 if a decent key forward is still available.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 02:21:55 AM »
Anderson's club countdowns page on the Herald-Sun website has a pic of Martin between Scully and Trengove.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 07:17:26 AM »
Definitely need a a quality tall. Back line too small. Regarding the forward line Morton and Jack are very good but need a tall to take pressure off them. Need a good year from Nahas. He is critical regarding forward line pressure. Are there any good talls in the draft?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 05:00:38 AM »
Definitely need a a quality tall. Back line too small. Regarding the forward line Morton and Jack are very good but need a tall to take pressure off them. Need a good year from Nahas. He is critical regarding forward line pressure. Are there any good talls in the draft?
Morabito is 192cm tall and will go top 5 but he's played more as a midfielder.

John Butcher would be the best considered key forward was potential No.1 pick at the start of 2009 but people got stuck into his kicking and his form in the 2009 U18 champs wasn't as promising as last year's when he stood out. He was playing with injury this year though. He'll most likely go pick 6-10.

Next up would be Daniel Talia, Aaron Black, Jake Carlisle and Ben Griffiths from 10-20. Griffiths would go higher but he missed a fair bit of footy this year due to injury. It's a risk but with a huge payoff if the injury and subsequent surgery is one he overcomes. He's meant to be a massive kick.

The next group would be Nathan Vardy, Jack Fitzpatrick maybe in the 20s and then the likes of Reid, Astbury, Houghton, Craig, Gawn, Tom Hill, etc could end up anywhere from picks 30-60. I've probably forgotten someone obvious off the top of my head. Depends if the tall is a defender, forward or ruckman.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 09:46:11 AM »
Good to see 'Ando' is right on top of his game keeping abreast of all the football trends.  Someone in the office should give him a nudge and mention we have another forward called Riewoldt. :wallywink
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 03:06:58 PM »
I can see why that article didn't make the HUNweb.

Thanks for scanning it anyway Cyclops. :thumbsup