Author Topic: Best kick of a footy?  (Read 4109 times)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Re: Best kick of a footy?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 06:03:28 PM »
Newy for mine especially if distance is a priority. Remember when Solomon gave away that 50 for rough play deep in our defence at Subiaco which pushed Newy into the square and Kablam!!! Newy loads up with a 65-70m kick for goal. The look on Solomon's face was priceless! I think he got dragged immediately if I recall. One of my recent favorite Tiger memories  :thumbsup :thumbsup

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 06:54:21 PM »
Fred Swift.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Gigantor

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 06:58:35 PM »
bustling billy barrot was a dead set legend with his kicking,could thread the eye of a needle.
and yes i agree maurice rioli was simply sublime..slightly off topic michael green with his tap outs was in my eyes one of the best

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 07:57:26 PM »
Fred Swift.
I'm with you there Beren easily the most reliable long kick i saw over the past 66 years.
While we are on the subject the best passer of the ball in my opinion was Ray Stokes
and the longest succesful kick for a goal i saw was not from a richmond player but from Noel Mc Mahon of melbourne playing against the tigers who marked on the 50 metre half back line on the MCG right on the siren. went back and took his kick as all the players were leaving the ground. his drop kick travelled about 75 yards through the air and the bounced on and on and through the goals with no defenders in sight.

Mopsy

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 10:40:01 PM »
Fred Swift.
I'm with you there Beren easily the most reliable long kick i saw over the past 66 years.
While we are on the subject the best passer of the ball in my opinion was Ray Stokes
and the longest succesful kick for a goal i saw was not from a richmond player but from Noel Mc Mahon of melbourne playing against the tigers who marked on the 50 metre half back line on the MCG right on the siren. went back and took his kick as all the players were leaving the ground. his drop kick travelled about 75 yards through the air and the bounced on and on and through the goals with no defenders in sight.

Mopsy

Didn't Daicos kick a goal from 80m once? I'm pretty sure he did it from within the centre square.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 11:26:12 PM »
Fred Swift.

Mopsy

Didn't Daicos kick a goal from 80m once? I'm pretty sure he did it from within the centre square.

I thought it was a St Kilda player who was recognised as the longest goal kicker , but for the life of me i cant remember his name. I dont think Daicos ever kicked a goal that long, but Malcom Blight kicked some long ones, one to sink the skunks in a night premiership i think from near the center circle? that may have been after the siren which the umps didnt hear perhaps.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 11:31:19 PM »
Good old google.
Jeff Fehring was the bloke i was thinking of.
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/sports/watch/v641026hBsqHxwW

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 10:35:51 AM »
Good old google.
Jeff Fehring was the bloke i was thinking of.
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/sports/watch/v641026hBsqHxwW

Yep.  Has a brother Rod, a ruckman who played and coached a bit in the Bendigo league back in the day.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 08:05:07 PM »
Fred Swift.

Mopsy

I thought it was a St Kilda player who was recognised as the longest goal kicker , but for the life of me i cant remember his name. I dont think Daicos ever kicked a goal that long, but Malcom Blight kicked some long ones, one to sink the skunks in a night premiership i think from near the center circle? that may have been after the siren which the umps didnt hear perhaps.
I think it was Blight who kicked it to Kerry Good who marked it after the siren but was paid the mark to sink the Pies ;D. Blight's famous long torp was at the Princes Park against Carlton after the siren.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Ct1eNANdQ

Best field kicks for mine:
Darren Jarman
Maurice Rioli
Geoff Raines
Hird
Simon Black
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Tigermonk

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 10:27:19 AM »
Kevin Bartlett, Michael Roach, Leon Cameron, Joel Bowden, Ben Cousin

Gigantor

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 10:39:31 AM »
kevin sheedy tells the story ,where in the latre 60s billy barrot marks the ball right in front of the members stand at the MCG.he holds the ball up and gestures to the members.
Sheeds says he walks away thinking to himsel, ok show off you better kick this after that.
Barrot goes back and unleashes an almighty torp that sails through the goals.

now theres a man that can back up his words..LOL

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2009, 10:46:14 AM »
I think it was Blight who kicked it to Kerry Good who marked it after the siren but was paid the mark to sink the Pies Grin. Blight's famous long torp was at the Princes Park against Carlton after the siren.

Yeah, thats right, cheers MT. That was when Carlton looked home and hosed but Blight kicked three in time on to sink them. Just gotta love seeing both those sides loose in such circumstances

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 01:16:47 PM »
Lids at the moment.
Leon Cameron in the past, great kick

have to agree Jack

Although in days gone by M. Rioli was a great kick

And from other teams one Gerard Healy wasn't to shabby  ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2009, 02:14:56 PM »
There was nothing wrong with Joel Bowdens kicking skills.

The latter part of his career was riddled with too many ineffectual stat accumulating short kicks.

Jimmy Jess was a beautiful booming kick.

Best set shot at goal from distance or anywhere was Michael Roach. His technique was flawless.

Darren Jarman is the best snap shot at goal I have ever seen. Just look at the tape of the last quarter in the 1997 GF and his set shooting for goal was not too shabby. That goal where he marked in front of Archer 50 out near the boundary line Punt Rd end in the last quarter of the 1998 GF is just about the best set shot I have ever seen from that position with the magnitue of what was hanging on that kick.