Author Topic: Peter Helliar and Richo to host new footy show on SEVEN (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2709 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Channel 7 poaches Peter Helliar to host new weekly AFL footy program
  * Colin Vickery
  * Herald Sun
  * January 16, 2010

THE TV footy show wars have exploded with Channel 7 poaching comedian Peter Helliar to host a new weekly AFL footy entertainment program.

Seven is tipped to screen Helliar's as yet unnamed show in a 7.30pm or 8.30pm midweek timeslot - before rival The Footy Show on Nine.

Nine wants to answer the challenge by moving The Footy Show to 8.30pm Thursdays this year - an hour earlier than its usual 9.30pm start.

Who will you watch - Helliar or The Footy Show? Tell us in the comments below

"There's a strong consideration that we'll go at 8.30pm," Nine Melbourne's program director Len Downs said.

Securing Helliar is a coup for Seven. The popular comedian only became available after the demise of Rove on Ten.

Helliar's weekly live one-hour show will include pre-recorded comedy skits, interviews, match footage, a "heroes and villains" segment and even footy street parties. There will be no footy panel.

In a shock, Helliar won't be doing his popular comic creation, Collingwood-wannabe Strauchanie, on his new show. Instead, he will introduce three or four new comedy characters.

"It is time for a fresh start to create some new characters. I would like it to be a very family-friendly show," an excited Helliar said.

Former Richmond great Matthew Richardson will feature prominently as Helliar's sidekick in Seven's new show. Richardson was one of the most popular panellists on The Footy Show.

"The warmth of Pete Helliar and Matthew Richardson will light up the studio and the audience," executive producer Rick McKenna (Kath & Kim) says.

Helliar's show is another challenge for The Footy Show, which has been embroiled in controversy in recent years.

Over the past five years its average Melbourne audience has shrunk from 463,000 viewers to 386,000 per week.

Women, especially, have deserted the show, particularly since Sam Newman's infamous mannequin incident in 2008. In its heyday, The Footy Show averaged more than 300,000 female viewers per week, but that has dropped to fewer than 200,000.

McKenna says there will be a significant female presence on Helliar's new show.

Newman was unfazed when told of Seven's rival show. Seven's previous prime-time football shows, Live and Kicking and Four Quarters, have had mixed fortunes.

"I wish them (Seven) well. It's obviously an exciting time for them. The more times you have a go at it (creating a footy TV show), the more likely you are to succeed," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/tv/channel-7-poaches-peter-helliar-to-host-new-weekly-afl-footy-program/story-e6frf9ho-1225820208270

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Peter Helliar and Richo to host new footy show on SEVEN (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 08:04:38 AM »
"It is time for a fresh start to create some new characters. I would like it to be a very family-friendly show," an excited Helliar said.

Scary. Feel for richo.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 09:33:21 AM »
Yep, sounds like it will be pretty ordinary and more about "entertainment" that talking about football.  :outtahere
EAT EM ALIVE!

Tiggytam

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 09:35:31 AM »
I think anything Peter Helliar does is ordinary.  I don't know why people think he is funny. 

Why Richo, why?

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 09:54:22 AM »
In a shock, Helliar won't be doing his popular comic creation, Collingwood-wannabe Strauchanie, on his new show. Instead, he will introduce three or four new comedy characters.

How is that a shock? The unfunniest character on TV. The only remotely funny line I've heard from him was when he accused Xhristie Malthouse of being a lesbian for rejecting his advances
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline tigergirl09

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 04:07:12 PM »
I didnt know richo was that desperate
for his sake i hope this show does reasonably well 
:help

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 07:02:21 PM »
I think anything Peter Helliar does is ordinary.  I don't know why people think he is funny. 

Why Richo, why?
Totally agree. Helliar just ain't funny. Lame.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 12:42:10 AM »
Another piece of crap on tv appealling to the the new footy fan who has only just forged an interest in it rather than the traditional experienced footy fan who neither watches the garbage on nine and won't be watching this filth on 7.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 05:11:23 AM »
'Lethal' Leigh Matthews to help spearhead Channel 7's new football program The Bounce
* Colin Vickery
 * Herald Sun
 * February 13, 2010

"LETHAL" Leigh Matthews is to help spearhead Channel 7's assault on The Footy Show with new football program The Bounce.

Matthews will join host Peter Helliar and former Richmond great Matthew Richardson in the three-man line-up for Seven's new show.

Seven is yet to announce its midweek timeslot - rumoured to be 7.30pm or 8.30pm on Wednesdays or Thursdays. Nine is still toying with moving The Footy Show to 8.30pm on Thursdays to answer the challenge.

Matthews will be The Bounce's resident expert, with opinions and analysis. "My role is to talk footy stuff - whatever is going on in the footy world," he said.

Matthews says his decision to join the show marks the end of any coaching aspirations. "The chances of me coaching again are next to nil," he said.

The Bounce will be a weekly live one-hour show that will include recorded comedy skits, interviews, match footage, a "heroes and villains" segment and even footy street parties.

Helliar, who won fans as Collingwood wannabe Strauchanie, will introduce three or four new comic characters. He said The Bounce "is still a work in progress" but he was delighted to have Matthews on board.

Matthews played 332 games for Hawthorn and was captain from 1981-85. He coached Collingwood to a premiership in 1990 and guided the Brisbane Lions to three consecutive flags.

"When you think of authorities on football who are relevant, Leigh is top of the list," Helliar said.

Seven aims to have The Bounce on air for the first round of the AFL home-and-away season, meaning a debut on March 24 or 25.

Matthews was surprised to be invited but was comfortable being in a show with a comedy/light entertainment format. "When you're in club level you think it (football) is life and death but sport's entertainment, and footy has to be treated in that manner," he said.

Next month Garry Lyon and James Brayshaw are set to return for their fifth year as hosts of The Footy Show. It will be Sam Newman's 16th year behind the desk. Despite controversy, The Footy Show continues to be a strong rater for Nine, winning its time slot last year and often topping the Thursday night ratings in Melbourne.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/tv/lethal-leigh-matthews-to-help-spearhead-channel-7s-new-football-program-the-bounce/story-e6frf9ho-1225829876381

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 07:29:48 PM »
'The Bounce' is coming on Ch 7 now.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 07:39:30 PM »
poo start.
It's that simple Spud

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 07:53:09 PM »
Can you axe a show before it finishes? This is harder to watch than our r1 performance last year.
They need Richo, saving the day in retirement.
It's that simple Spud

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 08:36:08 PM »
Thought Richo and Lethal did well analysing the teams. The skits have been amusing at times, painful at others. Hope they warm up as the show continues.  :pray

Stripes

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 10:16:40 PM »
why did I feel like I was watching Rove ::)...if I could make a suggestion it would be footy first then warm up to the comedy, in any case I turned off after 20min or so
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 05:27:23 AM »
I didn't watch it, but Helliar is a drop kick.
Richo & Lethal are a good start but I can't see what Helliar can add to the mix