Author Topic: GOLF THREAD  (Read 3035 times)

tony_montana

GOLF THREAD
« on: February 23, 2010, 04:55:35 PM »
Hi all,

Thought I'd start a thread for those that have the bug to talk about our own golf game including memberships, courses, equipment and any general advice.

I've been playing for nigh on 2 years now. Recently got a membership out at broadford golf club(live in the north). Great layout, greens are true with some incredibly undulating ones amongst it which makes it a real challenge, members are friendly and by and large seem like a pretty laidback knock about bunch.

I recently received my h'cap which was incredibly bad (29). I'm no phil Mickelson but that was a by product of having a shocking(AND LEGITIMATE) 2 cards (when handing in my initial 3 cards). As it turns out, I played comp on saturday and won in a canter (48 stableford points) hitting an 87 (equal best score ever) :cheers which got me a new nickname - ned kelly at the clubhouse lol(not going to be able tolive ths one dwn in a hurry).. Being new, I am aware of how suss it looks and am a little embarrassed by it tbh  :D. H'cap has dropped to 24 now and expect to get it down to 17-18 in the next 4-5 weeks hopefully. Comp golf is great fun and I'm actually going to sig up for pennant this coming season so a whole new experience coming up

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: GOLF THREAD
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 05:24:19 PM »
I've always had the odd hack, but only in the past two years have I started to take it more seriously and look to improve my game.

Still yet to sign up as a member or get a handicap, but would like to do this very soon. I play the Traralgon course mostly, it's in good nick, we've had good rainfall over summer, so it looks nice and green. Great big greens, but it's an easy course (not that i'm real good), I can hit a nice long tee shot (sometimes straight) and end up 40-50 metres from the green. From there I usually take another 4-5 shots  ;D

I took advantage of the good exchange rate and grabbed a Taylormade driver from the States on eBay. It's turned out to be a good buy. 9.5 degree stiff, and as mentioned, when I do get onto one, I can go 300+ metres.

Going to play Drouin this weekend with some mates.

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

tony_montana

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:37:45 PM »
nice work wayne, There are some great deals online from the states, I've bought several clubs from there and even with the postage its a bargain compared to what I would have paid here. Just always make sure its from one of the bigger distributors like global golf, 3balls, rockbottom etc

I've heard Traralgon is in great condition and a good course. 300+ Big hitter! I've managed to nudge 300 several times with wind and rocks for balls, funny story at growling frog course 17th hole, i drove the green (just off  to the left with a bunker in front of me) lobbed it over the bunker onto the green and rolled on into the other bunker, got out 7 shots later for an 11!!!. :banghead  :lol  

Won my first game of matchplay last week, different game, the focus on every shot takes it to a whole new level. Get yourself a membership if you can wayne, best thing you can do. Takes the game to a new level and its heaps fun hitting with different partners each week. Reckon I've learnt more in the last 5 weeks playing comp than the last year with the same mates.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 09:26:55 AM »
Yeah i buy on eBay, through those three places you mentioned.

Played a quick 9 at Traralgon on Sunday night. They had a pro-am 2 weeks ago and the course is in great condition.

There are quite a few holes at Traralgon that if i could find another 20-30 metres, I could hit a few greens in one.

I've got a voucher now for a few lessons. I hope I can iron out some of my iron shot issues.   

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 09:08:53 AM »
I was watching the Golf Show last night and Marc Leishman was going through the clubs in his bag. He has black and yellow grips on his irons, he's a huge Tiger fan.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:13:30 AM »
Adam Scott and Jason Day just finished equal second in the US Masters. Aussies pipped on the final holes of a major once again.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 07:59:33 AM »
Come on Jason Day. Get it done!

Deserves a major and this might be his time.

Great story is Jason. Half filipino and has done plenty of good over there. The entire nation will rejoice if he gets over the line.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 09:15:34 AM »
GO YOU GOOD THING.

Well deserved and overdue.

Champion!

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 11:25:29 AM »
hello Nick K , hope you  watched that display champ.

Incredible win really and just showed how mentally strong you have to win in golf especially when you get so close so many times as he has done.

IMO it was one of the finest moments in australian sport of 2015 when he embraced his caddie and child at the end. The outpouring of emotion just shows how much it meant to him. What a great Australian sportsmen and person he seems to be.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 01:20:21 PM »
hello Nick K , hope you  watched that display champ.

Incredible win really and just showed how mentally strong you have to win in golf especially when you get so close so many times as he has done.

IMO it was one of the finest moments in australian sport of 2015 when he embraced his caddie and child at the end. The outpouring of emotion just shows how much it meant to him. What a great Australian sportsmen and person he seems to be.

Well said Angus

Haven't seen any vision yet but just so rapt for this bloke

He respects the game, its history and all it stands for. Also respects his opponents

He deserved this win, he's never sooked when things haven't gone his way, just gone away worked hard and that coupled with his steely resolve means he is now a winner of a major.

A richly deserving champion we can all be round of  :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 01:52:23 PM »
Worthy winner. Finally had his day (pardon the pun) after coming so close a few times.

Can win many more majors. Only 27. Has plenty of time on his side. :thumbsup

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 09:24:04 AM »
Great effort by Cam Smith at St Andrews ...
Shame for Rory, but it was just an awesome final round by the Aussie