Author Topic: How do you reckon we went?  (Read 1769 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
How do you reckon we went?
« on: November 20, 2004, 11:52:26 AM »
How well do you reckon we did in the draft?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: How do you reckon we went?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 12:12:15 PM »
very good , main query would be on pattison

sounds reasonably promising but his big weakness is mobility..

hopefully not another ben holland

questionable wether wee should have got cam wood at 16??

other than that hard not to be happy...

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 01:27:35 PM »
Deledio AND Tambling  :birthday

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 01:38:12 PM »
We just have to be stoked after those first two :thumbsup

GM & TW know what they are doing at least 1 or two of those others will be good long term tigers :thumbsup

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 09:56:32 PM »
Am very happy with Patto.

Can play CHF and ruck, solid, 198cm still growing,  Had an ordinary start to the year due to injury.  but got picked as captain of the TAC Rest of the Best team, and across the final month was BOG in most games he played.  Did very well.

Will be a leader.

And has a bit of mongrel in him

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 01:27:46 AM »
Will let you know by 2007 MT :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 03:51:32 AM »
Will let you know by 2007 MT :thumbsup

LOL 2 years grace from the ruthless but wise judges of OER.

Let's hope now that we have Wallace and co that we finally get the development part right at Tigerland and by 2007 we're nicknaming these kids something like Deadly-io, King Richard and the Meyer (Mayor) of Richmond; not dudelio, tam-cringe and failyer! 

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 12:01:25 PM »
Deledio AND Tambling  :birthday

That about sums it up - I cannot believe we got Tambling :cheers :thumbsup ;D :cheers

Am very happy with Patto.

Can play CHF and ruck, solid, 198cm still growing, Had an ordinary start to the year due to injury. but got picked as captain of the TAC Rest of the Best team, and across the final month was BOG in most games he played. Did very well.

Agree LT - he also won the TAC Cup coaches award in 2004  :thumbsup

Polo won Gipssland Power's B&F - so I'll take that also they say he is an inside player who wins his own ball - I'll definitely take that.

Geez I am looking forward to training this week :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 12:53:24 PM »
This years draft, along with the appointment of Terry Wallace will go down as the turning point of our club.

I was always of the opinion (as long as I can remember) that we were the slowest and unskilled team in the AFL.  Pace was always non-existent in our midfielders.  Coughlan, Johnson, Campbell, Knights, Broderick, Free, Lambert etc are/were great players but they all lacked genuine pace.  Pace that can be used to burst packs open.  Pace like a Mcleod, Judd, Riccutio, Akermanis.  I was hoping we would recruit 3 quick skillful onballers with our 4 first rounders.  This is what I was hoping for but I was expecting 2 mids and 2 KPP's.  Terry was listening to me.  It would have been interesting to see how we would have gone if Tanmling went at 2 and we went for Roughead at 4.

Pattison at 16 was interesting considering Wood was available.  Terry obviously isn't a fan of beanpoles.  I can understand picking Pattison as he's a monster and likes the rough play.  Also he can ruck and can run all day.  If he can crash into packs all day long then this alone will benefit us.

Polo at 20 raised a few eyebrows to those who didn't rate him but didn't surprise those who did rate him.  There's been a varying opinion of him - from he's useless, can't kick etc - to he's a tough in and under hard running type.  I think Wallace and Miller see him as becoming Coughlans buddy in the trenches.

Limbach and McGuane are speculative forward/back type picks which all clubs do with later picks.  Some good reviews on Limbach but some not as good on McGuane.  You should always have speculatives in every draft - better than recruiting proven average players from other clubs.

All in all a very good result.  The top 3 are almost certain to create more excitement to our play and they are definately Wallace types.  If Pattison, Schulz and Archibald can really develop into strong KPP's for us, then we are well on our way to finals action in a few years time.  5-7 more first and second rounders during the next couple of years should ensure that we are replenishing our list with quality while continuing to weed out the average players.

8.5 out of 10.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 01:25:15 PM »
Not only have we instantly added pace and skill, something that we have desperately lacked over the last couple of decades....but Deledio, Tambling and Meyer are all goal kicking mid fielders as well.

All the top sides have gun mid fields and all contain goal kicking mid fielders. You can always trade for KPPs later on...look at the Saints with Hamill and Gehrig, even Geelong with Ottens.

Just like Terry, can't wipe the smile off my face! :cheers ;D