Author Topic: Connors 8 weeks suspension, McGuane, Cuz, Polo cop 1 week for Sydney Hotel misbehaviour  (Read 19178 times)

Gigantor

Wp the mess you mention happened in the early 80s i think caros dad was long gone by then.In fact barry richardson was president for a while there and then someone else took over

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Wp the mess you mention happened in the early 80s i think caros dad was long gone by then.In fact barry richardson was president for a while there and then someone else took over

Ian Wilson weas president of the RFC from 1974 to mid 1985. Barry Richardson took over from Wilson in 1985 and stayed until 1986. We were a financial basket case in 1985 because we had no $$$$.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Caro on 3aw just before 7pm

Caro: Disappointing as Ben had already been told off before about his drinking.

Healy: But Cousins wasn't the one with the alcohol issues on Saturday night. Are you just guessing he was drinking Caro or did someone tell you he was?

Caro: "I know that Ben was drinking"

ps. She also admitted she wasn't a Richmond member (not a member of any club).
Fair dinkum - if she was a bicycle she would never leave the shed :lol

If she was a bicycle no-one would want to ride her . Most would prefer to 'walk'
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick interviewed at training today......

* Decision (to suspend the four) was easy to make. We had to set strict standards at the start of the year with 14 new young players coming in. The boys involved went outside those standards so not a hard decision to make.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Banned players let me down: Hardwick (RFC)
« Reply #199 on: April 15, 2010, 11:32:36 AM »
Banned players let me down: Hardwick
richmondfc.com.au
By Ben Broad
11:12 AM Thu 15 April, 2010

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick is comfortable with the punishment handed out to the players involved in last weekend's late-night hotel fracas, believing it is crucial his players know the standards required to play at his club.

Earlier this week the Tigers announced suspensions to four players, including an eight-week ban to youngster Daniel Connors, after the quartet misbehaved following the side's loss to the Sydney Swans.

Ben Cousins, Dean Polo and Luke McGuane will all serve one-match bans this week stemming from the incident and while the latter three were not drunk, Hardwick said it was important the club made a stand.

"It wasn't a tough decision at all," Hardwick said before training on Thursday.

"The harsh thing is when you have 14 new blokes come in you need to set a pretty high standard for those players and we felt the four players went outside those … we felt we acted strongly but we felt we acted accordingly."

Cousins' actions and suspension has been in question after the Brownlow medallist was found to have given Connors - under the influence of alcohol at the time - a black eye after trying to subdue his younger teammate.

Hardwick said he wasn't disappointed by Cousins but felt he and his teammates had the opportunity to "nip it in the bud" before the night escalated to the point it did.

"Awareness is one of the things in our teammates that we look to strive for and we felt that they didn't react quick enough," he said.

"I think all four have let me down. Dan needs to take some responsibility for his actions.

"The other guys tried their best [but] I just don't think they handled the situation well enough though.

"As a group of coaches we have this thing called championship moves where if you can see a mate of yours in trouble you need to take appropriate action to stop that.

"That was the whole thing. If someone actually had the balls to stand up and say 'Listen Dan, enough's enough, go to bed' [then] none of that would have happened, so that was the disappointing thing from our point of view and that's why we suspended them accordingly."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/92346/default.aspx

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Banned players let me down: Hardwick (RFC)
« Reply #200 on: April 15, 2010, 11:47:46 AM »

Hardwick said he wasn't disappointed by Cousins but felt he and his teammates had the opportunity to "nip it in the bud" before the night escalated to the point it did.

"Awareness is one of the things in our teammates that we look to strive for and we felt that they didn't react quick enough," he said.

"I think all four have let me down. Dan needs to take some responsibility for his actions.

"The other guys tried their best [but] I just don't think they handled the situation well enough though.

"As a group of coaches we have this thing called championship moves where if you can see a mate of yours in trouble you need to take appropriate action to stop that.

"That was the whole thing. If someone actually had the balls to stand up and say 'Listen Dan, enough's enough, go to bed' [then] none of that would have happened, so that was the disappointing thing from our point of view and that's why we suspended them accordingly."

Exactly what I have been saying about having your teammate's back.  Good stuff to hear!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Snippet from Hardwick in EOTT:

"It’s important to understand, especially when you bring 14 new players into the Club in one go, as we have, that the sort of behavior they displayed, is unacceptable.  We have set a clear benchmark for our playing group – and those players went outside that benchmark at the weekend. 

We believe the punishment is entirely appropriate.  It will hurt us short-term, but we hope the long-term benefits will far outweigh that.

As far as we’re concerned, our family name, which is the Richmond Football Club, was tarnished – and that’s totally unacceptable.  We’re all part of the one family here, and if that means we’ve got to strongly penalise any of our players, as a sacrifice, then so be it.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/ARCHIVEPAGES/SecureSignonTest/GreenbergsGrabs/tabid/15918/Default.aspx

Ox

As far as we’re concerned, our family name, which is the Richmond Football Club, was tarnished – and that’s totally unacceptable.  ”

We get our arses tarnished every stuffin week.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens

As far as we’re concerned, our family name, which is the Richmond Football Club, was tarnished – and that’s totally unacceptable.  ”

We get our behinds tarnished every effin week.
LOL.  God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change....Courage to change the things I can....and Wisdom to know the difference....
Lots of people name their swords......

jackstar is back again

Whats amazing about all this .
Doesnt the blame start at the top.??

Who is managing the playing group ?
Hardwick and Gale addressed the players before the start of the years ,and they do the opposite???
Communiction ?
Doesnt seem RFC , that all particpants "'rowing in the same direction "" does it ?

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
Whats amazing about all this .
Doesnt the blame start at the top.??

Who is managing the playing group ?
Hardwick and Gale addressed the players before the start of the years ,and they do the opposite???
Communiction ?
Doesnt seem RFC , that all particpants "'rowing in the same direction "" does it ?

It's taking some of the bad eggs a few weeks to get out of the habits that were instilled during the Wallace era.  Give it time.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Communiction ?

Hence the perpetrators have been punished. Roberts suspension too shows that this administration is serious about player commitment.

It won't happen overnight..

Caro: "I know that Ben was drinking"

If true it's interesting considering the club said he 'wasn't intoxicated'. I guess by that they mean drunk.
Caro really has an axe to grind with Cuz. However sounds as if the week off was warranted.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cousins a leader, but a babysitter? (Barry Hall in the Age)
« Reply #207 on: April 18, 2010, 02:54:21 AM »
Cousins a leader, but a babysitter?
BARRY HALL
April 18, 2010

From the reports this week, you could be excused for thinking Ben Cousins was the one who was drunk and carrying on instead of playing the peacemaker. Photo: Getty Images

I NEVER thought I would be saying it, but this week I actually felt a bit sorry for Ben Cousins. Don't get me wrong, off-field incidents look bad for our game, and I would never condone them. I'm sure we would like to never see another headline about incidents in bars and nightclubs, but it's part of life.

I know only too well that if you've dug a hole for yourself in the past, when something else that's related happens, you're usually the first target people take aim at. Because of Cousins' past, the scrutiny on him off the field is massive.

I only know what I've read in the paper about the Richmond post-match incident in Sydney - a young bloke had too much to drink, got loud and out of hand, and some teammates, including Cousins, used a bit of force to try to settle the situation. I also know only too well from my own experiences at a previous club that what you hear through the media is quite often only a part of - and not the full - story.

But judging by the reports early in the week, you could be excused for thinking Cousins was the one who was drunk and carrying on, instead of the one trying to get a young guy, Daniel Connors, to pull his head in. In hindsight, sure he would have been better off having an early night, but you don't go somewhere expecting the night to end as it did.

I know the way it works - put Cousins in a headline, he sells papers. One of the interesting things I heard was that Cousins, ''as a leader of the club'', should have made sure the situation never got to the point it did. As an experienced player, a senior guy, you do have to set an example, but a babysitter?

''Leadership group'' is sport's latest buzz phrase. They are popping up everywhere, across all sports. At times it almost seems like, ''well other clubs have got one, we'd better get a leadership group''.

I was on the leadership group at the Swans. We took it seriously and we were taken seriously. I guess the significant thing was the respect you have of your teammates because they are the ones who voted you in.

The biggest thing about leadership groups is that they have to have the power. There's no point having such groups in place if they're just token and the club and the coaches are not going to act on what the group feels is best.

They can also go too far. There's a fine line between empowering your leadership group and the power going too far. If you can find somewhere in between, you will have a successful leadership group, and that will flow on to the team.

Then you have the question of how far that leadership group extends. Is it just on the field, or around the club, or when you're away, or throughout the whole season no matter where you are and who you are with? I know whenever something goes wrong now, the first thing that seems to be said is what has the leadership group done about it, or the leadership group should have stopped this happening.

We're all aware of our responsibilities off-field nowadays, and that's all fine as you've got to keep your group in check. But it can't just be up to the leadership group to keep blokes in check off the field.

We are football players and the leadership group should tailor things towards playing football and on-field leadership. I understand the off-field stuff is an issue, but it's up to the individual to know what's required of him and what's not acceptable. We are talking about grown young men, not kids with no idea of right and wrong. And if a problem does arise, any or all of his teammates can and should step in, not just someone because he is a leader.

I'm not in our leadership group at the Bulldogs, but when I was in Sydney, if I had to talk to a young bloke about something, I tried to put him in my situation now. I've been there and done whatever it was they had done. I used to stuff up all the time when I was young and stupid. They are learning, they are young, but they realise I was just like them, and I can see it more clearly now, and know what mistakes not to make. I found the fact I had been through it myself showed them I really did know what I was talking about.

There wasn't any leadership groups when I was younger. I was bit of a rebel back then so I probably wouldn't have taken much notice of them if there was.

I don't know the circumstances of what went on in Sydney last Saturday night, only what I have heard. Did the kid deserve eight weeks? I don't know, but I know sometimes pulling someone aside and talking him through it a bit, giving him a solid rap over the knuckles, can sometimes get through better than a long suspension.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cousins-a-leader-but-a-babysitter-20100417-sll1.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Caro says Cousins hit Connors twice (Age)
« Reply #208 on: April 18, 2010, 03:07:51 AM »
Caro in today's Age...

At Geelong at the start of 2007, Steve Johnson was famously sent to AFL exile for his ongoing drunken and anti-social behaviour. Then chief executive of the AFL Players' Association, Brendon Gale, was horrified at the decision by the Cats, but was persuaded by their captain Tom Harley that only through an eight-week ban would the penny drop for Johnson and the club perform some effective surgery on its culture.

Now CEO at Richmond, Gale on Monday oversaw an eight-week suspension of errant but promising young Tiger Daniel Connors for his drunken behaviour in Sydney eight nights ago. Like Johnson, Connors has priors. It would be too much for Tiger fans to hope that Connors will one day wear a Norm Smith Medal around his neck, but Gale was convinced that this severe penalty could prove the player's only hope.

Cousins, whom Richmond has repeatedly defended and covered up for in recent months, repaid his special treatment by still being part of that ugly scene at dawn. Not once, but twice, did the older player punch the much drunker younger one and he - along with two others - have rightfully been suspended also.

Richmond would do well to organise a private chat between Steve Johnson and Daniel Connors. It is probably too late for Cousins, and Fevola teeters on the brink between oblivion and this one last chance in the sunshine.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/blues-were-too-soft-on-fevola-20100417-slkc.html

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
What the hell is her problem?