Author Topic: Aker 'totally against' Pies-Dons Anzac fixture (afl.com.au)  (Read 1951 times)

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
Aker 'totally against' Pies-Dons Anzac fixture (afl.com.au)
« on: April 24, 2010, 05:44:24 PM »
By Cameron Noakes
2:46 PM Sat 24 April, 2010
TRIPLE premiership player Jason Akermanis believes it is unfair for Collingwood and Essendon to hog the Anzac Day limelight.

Speaking on BigPond Sports Weekend on Saturday, the veteran Bulldogs forward said that after 16 editions it was time the AFL took the blockbuster fixture off the Pies and the Bombers and gave other clubs the chance to play in it.

"I am totally against what is happening tomorrow," Akermanis said.

"Not because it wasn't a great idea by Kevin Sheedy, but Kevin Sheedy, you don't own that idea. Anzac Day is Anzac Day.

"There must be a rotation system."

Akermanis said it was unfair that two wealthy clubs received revenue from the game, especially when several Victorian clubs were financially struggling.

Sunday's clash at the MCG has already sold out.

"If these clubs are making $1 million, do you not think that North Melbourne or a Western Bulldogs or a Melbourne, who have been struggling for many years, would love a day like that?"

He added that the match would always draw spectators, regardless of what teams were playing.

"[It] never seems to worry [the fans]," he said.

"The fans will come out. It is a huge day, it is their day [and] it is your turn. It is the Bulldogs' turn, say tomorrow versus St Kilda or whoever and you say, 'Right guys, go and play, everyone will come'.

"Both sides will come and people who just want to see the game, will see a great game on a very special day."

it would be nice to see richmond have a crack at it !!!!!!!!!

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Re: Aker 'totally against' Pies-Dons Anzac fixture (afl.com.au)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 09:44:21 AM »
Remember when us and the pies played the anzac game in 1977?  92k turnout.  Why should these to teams get it every year, none of my grandads barracked for em and they were both in WWII, neither of my great grandads barracked for em and they were in WWI.  I have heaps of clan that served including myself and none of us barrack for either of these two teams, spread it round and make it fair imo.
Lots of people name their swords......

TigerTimeII

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 12:25:22 PM »
Remember when us and the pies played the anzac game in 1977?  92k turnout.  Why should these to teams get it every year, none of my grandads barracked for em and they were both in WWII, neither of my great grandads barracked for em and they were in WWI.  I have heaps of clan that served including myself and none of us barrack for either of these two teams, spread it round and make it fair imo.

the sanfl have the right idea

they play the grandfinalists of the previous yr

imo the anzac day clash should be the grandfinal rematch

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 01:30:31 PM »
but i don't think we would want to give up our dream time game... and i wouldnt want to see richmond play for the ANZAC's at the moment  :whistle

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 01:43:56 PM »

I do not mind that idea at all, they fought hard for it and it provides an extra incentive for getting to a Grand Final, it is a massive event and it does transcend team loyalties and should be a chance for all teams small and large to represent the troopies  on a patriotic day.  My old grandad would of loved to see the Demons running out, the other one would of been chuffed to see Geelong, but I won't hold that against em, they did get shot at a fair bit, might of messed with their team selection abilities...

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 01:47:23 PM »
of course the game should be rotated, how on earth TWO CLUBS should have a mortage on this day is absurd. Perhaps it should be a GF replay...anything but seeing these sides play in it ea YEAR
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 01:55:26 PM »
of course the game should be rotated, how on earth TWO CLUBS should have a mortage on this day is absurd. Perhaps it should be a GF replay...anything but seeing these sides play in it ea YEAR
Might say the same about Dream time  ::)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 02:00:32 PM »
Fair enough, wouldn't bother me one bit

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 02:17:25 PM »

Agree 100%, or at least the two highest finishing Victorian sides from the previous year.

but i don't think we would want to give up our dream time game... and i wouldnt want to see richmond play for the ANZAC's at the moment  :whistle
Dreamtime is a bit different. 1) It's a regular home and away game and crowds aren't much bigger than a normal Rich Vs Ess match on a Saturday night at the MCG 2) It's to do with the colours of both club jumpers representing the colour of the Aboriginal flag. You lose that symbolism if other clubs were to play (unless you had special jumpers made up for both clubs).

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 04:26:47 PM »
Yeah good point about the jumpers, might be a bit weird if the Bulldogs rock up wearing the British flag colors as they o :-X

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 04:30:35 PM »

Agree 100%, or at least the two highest finishing Victorian sides from the previous year.

Dreamtime is a bit different. 1) It's a regular home and away game and crowds aren't much bigger than a normal Rich Vs Ess match on a Saturday night at the MCG 2) jumpers reIt's to do with the colours of both club presenting the colour of the Aboriginal flag. You lose that symbolism if other clubs were to play (unless you had special jumpers made up for both clubs).

correctamondo, blend of both teams colours into aboriginal flag
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 11:11:17 PM »
leave collingwood and bombers to the MCG afternoon anzac game they've built up a tradition.
Aker is just whinging cause he isnt playing in front of everyone.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 11:56:13 PM »
Aker has always had a mouth, but he seems to have got louder since Barry Hall joined. I expect when they play Port and the Cornes he'll be playing quite close to BBBHall.

Anzac day - well I'd like the Tigers to be there, but I'd rather watch Collingwood-Essendon than a random game e.g. Sydney-Freo.

I think the previous Grand Finalists is a great idea though  :thumbsup

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 02:50:27 PM »

Yep, spot on.  I am also a fan of the GF replay being the main Anzac Day game.

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 02:51:28 PM »
pfft. old news.  I am sick of it coming up every year.