Author Topic: Billy Slater to AFL?  (Read 3342 times)

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
Re: Billy Slater to AFL?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 02:36:27 PM »
Greg Inglis in a Richmond jumper, would be amazing. But these types of gambles are for clubs pushing the top 8. His talent would be lost on side floundering at the bottom for the next few years.
Detka! Detka! Detka!

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 02:38:21 PM »
YOU GUYS ARE CHASING THE WRONG ATHLETE FROM RUGBY LEAGUE!

The bloke an AFL club should chase is

ISRAEL FOLAU
DOB: April 3 1989 - making him just 22
195cm tall or 6'5
and runs like the Wind.

Hes the bloke an AFL club should try and get!
Moved to QLD to go back closer to his family as he is a very strict Mormon, also needs to do some sort of pilgrimage I think at some stage.
Greg Inglis is the one, he's already in Melbourne, kicks well, marks well, as fast a better all around athlete than Folau

Inglis would make a great KP player if trained to look out for contest from any angle. Slater is a ready made mid fielder, his clearence work would be outstanding he can already kick pretty well would just need to practice handballs without thinking instead of throwing the ball.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 02:40:20 PM »
Greg Inglis in a Richmond jumper, would be amazing. But these types of gambles are for clubs pushing the top 8. His talent would be lost on side floundering at the bottom for the next few years.
Disagree, Inglis is only 23 and has 8-10 years of elite level sport left in him, we are developing and he could develop with us
We'd have plenty of room in the cap to pay him far more than what he's getting at NRL and the AFL would love us for getting him and may even come to the party to assist making the move happen.

Offline Obelix

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 02:54:10 PM »
I think Inglis would be miserable in the AFL. He's a very physical man and with the way they've been handing out suspensions for the most feeble hip and shoulders... nah, I can't see it.

go to union young man... do it ;)

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 02:58:18 PM »
I think Inglis would be miserable in the AFL. He's a very physical man and with the way they've been handing out suspensions for the most feeble hip and shoulders... nah, I can't see it.

go to union young man... do it ;)

Like i said on another post, if any of them leave theres a much bigger chance of them going to the Melbourne Rebels than to any AFL club.

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 05:21:21 PM »
but they have never played a game of footy in there life  :-\

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 08:17:08 PM »
but they have never played a game of footy in there life  :-\

Logical post.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 08:47:25 PM »
Disagree, Inglis is only 23 and has 8-10 years of elite level sport left in him, we are developing and he could develop with us
We'd have plenty of room in the cap to pay him far more than what he's getting at NRL and the AFL would love us for getting him and may even come to the party to assist making the move happen.
I don't see it happening but it wouldn't be a cap issue if by some miracle Slater or Inglis crossed over. Anyone who hasn't been in the AFL/footy system for 3 years can be paid outside the cap. As you say Infamy the AFL would chip in as well just for the publicity. That's why Karmichael Hunt is being paid $3.3m yet GC17 can still chase Ablett witth megabucks.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 10:34:48 PM »
I don't see it happening but it wouldn't be a cap issue if by some miracle Slater or Inglis crossed over. Anyone who hasn't been in the AFL/footy system for 3 years can be paid outside the cap. As you say Infamy the AFL would chip in as well just for the publicity. That's why Karmichael Hunt is being paid $3.3m yet GC17 can still chase Ablett witth megabucks.
The AFL closed that loophole of high salaries for rookies being paid outside the salary cap. Now the first $60k is outside the cap, but anything higher than that must be included in TPP.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 12:09:15 PM »
New Melbourne rugby side is throwing million dollar contracts at NRL players Folau and Slater.

The estimated value of Storm superstars Slater ($500,000), Greg Inglis ($500,000), Cameron Smith ($475,000), Cooper Cronk ($350,000) and Ryan Hoffman ($325,000) eats up a phenomenal $2.1 million of Melbourne's $4.1m salary cap allowed for their top 25 players.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/melbourne-rebels-in-1m-bid-for-billy-slater/story-e6frexnr-1225858127543

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 12:33:42 PM »

The estimated value of Storm superstars Slater ($500,000), Greg Inglis ($500,000), Cameron Smith ($475,000), Cooper Cronk ($350,000) and Ryan Hoffman ($325,000) eats up a phenomenal $2.1 million of Melbourne's $4.1m salary cap allowed for their top 25 players.

I reckon they'll have plenty of room in the cap next year!   :o

Offline HD

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 03:26:03 PM »
Slater is apparently switching codes, but to Union with the new Melbourne franchise the Rebels.

Inglis would be no good, he's never played AFL and brings some recent off-field stuff that we don't need to deal with (look at Cousins nowadays with all the crap constantly going round that the club has to deal with - it's distracting for the players)

Folau would be great athletically, and recently it was reported in QLD that he was looking to return to Melbourne next year (before the salary cap stuff came out with the Storm), but for a team that has struggled in recent years to get development right, do we really want to tackle a 'code switch' player?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 03:57:32 PM »
Folau is expected to join the the new Melbourne Rebels Rugby Union Franchise, with an an announcement possibly today.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/storms-loss-may-be-broncos-gain-20100428-tsj2.html
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI