Author Topic: AFL chief commissions report into Tigers' dismal decade (Age)  (Read 2410 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL chief commissions report into Tigers' dismal decade
CAROLINE WILSON
May 18, 2010

RICHMOND'S woeful performance at the draft and trade table over more than a decade has been documented in a new report commissioned by Andrew Demetriou.

The AFL chief's executive assistant, Tony Peek, has put together the 24-page dossier which dates back to 1997. Demetriou is believed to have asked for an explanation for the Tigers' dreadful performances at the start of this season and why the club has struggled for so long.

Neither Demetriou nor Peek would discuss the document yesterday but both confirmed its existence. The report, which demonstrates a litany of failed top 20 choices, traded early picks, the recruitment of recycled older players and decisions on footballers who have failed to live up to their high draft expectations, has not been shared among the AFL executive nor placed on the commission table.

Although the Tigers have not had a priority pick since taking dual best and fairest winner Brett Deledio in 2004, the club has finished outside the eight since 2002 and in the bottom four in the AFL ladder five times since then including two wooden spoons.

The club has not suggested it would push for an earlier priority selection should it qualify for one in 2011 - a compromise draft with the introduction of greater western Sydney - but several senior AFL executives and commissioners were understood to have referred to some of the Tigers mistakes of the past in reference to their current peril at recent commission talks.

Eyebrow raisers such as the choice of Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls taken at pick No. 8 in 2005, the choice of Aaron Fiora ahead of Matthew Pavlich in 1999 and the trading of pick No. 19 for Jordan McMahon in 2007 are understood to have caught Demetriou's eye.

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale has said several times this year that the club was determined to look forward not back, refusing to blame the past and insisting the club would not be putting its hand out for any AFL favours.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-chief-commissions-report-into-tigers-dismal-decade-20100517-v9hi.html

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: AFL chief commissions report into Tigers' dismal decade (Age)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 09:08:45 AM »
CAROLINE WILSON
May 18, 2010

Eyebrow raisers such as the  trading of pick No. 19 for Jordan McMahon in 2007 are understood to have caught Demetriou's eye.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-chief-commissions-report-into-tigers-dismal-decade-20100517-v9hi.html

2007? That would be the same year the AFL decided to give our number one draft pick to Carlton wouldn't it??
Was that our fault too?
And what's behind this report? Is the fat **** up to something?
It sure would explain some of the perplexing umpiring decisions/tribunal outcomes/fixtures/press lambasting/and lack of draft concessions we continue to cop....

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 09:18:54 AM »
CAROLINE WILSON
May 18, 2010

Eyebrow raisers such as the  trading of pick No. 19 for Jordan McMahon in 2007 are understood to have caught Demetriou's eye.

2007? That would be the same year the AFL decided to give our number one draft pick to Carlton wouldn't it??
Was that our fault too?
And what's behind this report? Is the fat **** up to something?
It sure would explain some of the perplexing umpiring decisions/tribunal outcomes/fixtures/press lambasting/and lack of draft concessions we continue to cop....

Rolls mate we have only ourselves to blame. With success comes better fixtures, drawing against better opposition.

Umpiring is part and parcel of the game, no conspiracy there.

The Blues got the Number 1 pick because they played the system beautifully, thats what people dont understand.

We should be thankful we have 40k of members that continually sign up year after year after year.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 09:23:15 AM »
Eyebrow raisers such as the choice of Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls taken at pick No. 8 in 2005, the choice of Aaron Fiora ahead of Matthew Pavlich in 1999 and the trading of pick No. 19 for Jordan McMahon in 2007 are understood to have caught Demetriou's eye.

To be fair, Oakley-Nicholls and Fiora weren't plucked from some country league, they were rated highly.

They just turned out to be duds.

The McMahon pick was a stupid idea from the start and if you refer to a another thread on this site, most thought so at the time it was happening.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 10:32:34 AM »
Looking for a reason to send us to Tasmania?

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 11:02:22 AM »
This will be interesting.  The desperate are desperately trying to say oh look they failed at the trade table already lol.  People forget that we also had some of the most monumental bad runs of injuries known....How many good players had a knee reco or two ?  Nathan Browns snapped leg?  Some of those players never came good again.  Then we managed to snare the few rare highly rated duds as MM mentions.. what strikes me is how often it happens, it is almost as if we have been sabotaged from within or perhaps from without.  I do not understand how our club can so consistently get it wrong with trades in the past, there is something very wrong there, and it stinks...
Lots of people name their swords......

Ramps

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 01:25:14 PM »
time to look forward lads- we need another 10 delistings or trades at least come years end, another 7 or 8 kids from the draft and maybe 1 or 2 players currently in the system.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 01:29:53 PM »
Actually I think Andy D and his merry men got it wrong

He should have commissioned a report to explain how a club that has had no success for 30 years (read have been crap  ;D) can still manage to attract 40k+ members, decent crowds, decent sponsorship and big TV ratings

And then use these findings to help the Roos who despite reasonable success over the last 15+ odd years still cannot attract a crowd, members, high sponsorship or TV ratings
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 04:30:20 PM »
Rolls mate we have only ourselves to blame. With success comes better fixtures, drawing against better opposition.

Umpiring is part and parcel of the game, no conspiracy there.

The Blues got the Number 1 pick because they played the system beautifully, thats what people dont understand.

We should be thankful we have 40k of members that continually sign up year after year after year.

Daniel, I agree with you to a degree.
YES, we have made some horrific blunders with our recruiting since 1999, and
YES, you can't expect the AFL to give us their prized TV games if we aren't even competitive.
But is that any reason to send us on the road 3 weeks running? Or to send us to sleepy hollow every single year?? Why can't we play the Cats at the G like other teams do? It doesn't necessarily have to be televised.
As for the Blues playing the system beautifully,well yes they did. They are very adept at cheating, as we all know. But why did the AFL decide to change the system just when we were about to finally benefit from it?
The first thought that crossed my mind when I heard what happened to the Storm was "why couldn't our officiating body slug a bunch of serial cheats like Carlton the same way?" Instead of slapping them on the wrist with a wet noodle. And if the AFL think Carlton aren't paying their "environmental ambassador" outside the salary cap, they're naive enough to be in kindergarten.
What infuriates me about the AFL is: if it's all just about $ and c, are they too stupid to realize that the Tigers could be a HUGE money-spinner for them, if they would just HELP us to be competitive again, instead of continually hindering us? After all, we are not Nth. Melb, who could only draw 2 men and a dog to Etihad this week, despite being on a winning streak.   

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 07:57:54 PM »

Been fearing that for a while now with our lack of success. Sth Melbourne had also tasted little success before they went there even though there were a host of other reasons.

That's why I feel our supporter base and membership base are the most important asset to us as if we abondon ship if this regime fails to steer us to on field success that may well be the only option that ensures The Tigers remain an AFL franchise albeit a Tasmanian one.

As a sidenote we all know what hapenned to the Tassie Tigers in the 1930's.  :help

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 10:10:28 PM »

Been fearing that for a while now with our lack of success. Sth Melbourne had also tasted little success before they went there even though there were a host of other reasons.

That's why I feel our supporter base and membership base are the most important asset to us as if we abondon ship if this regime fails to steer us to on field success that may well be the only option that ensures The Tigers remain an AFL franchise albeit a Tasmanian one.

As a sidenote we all know what hapenned to the Tassie Tigers in the 1930's.  :help

If that happens Tucker im gone, i will not support AFL or any Richmond Franchise if they are in Tassy. Not on your life!!

Unless its a Hawhtorn style operation max 2/4 games a year and even then i wont be happy but i will support. We get forced there Andy D that fat piece of poo & the AFL can get stuffed

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 10:24:38 PM »

thats what im thinking

the claw

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 11:17:03 PM »
as stated elswhere can only be two reasons for this report.
1 they are looking to see if we need help as far as picks go.

2 they are looking for easons why the shouldnt give us assistance.

hopefully it is the former and gale can pull his thick head in along with his stupid pride and accept the possibility of us getting a scully type along with the martin type we hopefully get anyway.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 11:29:21 PM »
There would have to be easier teams to relocate than Richmond
Could you imagine the retaliation from the members and supporter base? It would be the reaction to the Melbourne & Hawthorn merger times 10

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 11:32:15 PM »
There would have to be easier teams to relocate than Richmond

Probably however I am suspicious of the AFLs motives for such a report.