Author Topic: Media articles and Stats: Tigers well beaten by Blues  (Read 2111 times)

Offline one-eyed

  • Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • *****
  • Posts: 96282
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Media articles and Stats: Tigers well beaten by Blues
« on: August 14, 2010, 05:50:05 PM »
Tigers well beaten by Blues
By Jason Phelan
4:47 PM Sat 14 August, 2010

Carlton        3.7   10.12   14.17   23.18 (156)
Richmond     2.2     2.3      7.5     10.7 (67)

Carlton: Waite 4, Garlett 4, Henderson 3, Scotland 2, Betts 2, Murphy, Grigg, Hadley, Judd, Warnock, Russell, Robinson, Murphy
Richmond: Riewoldt 2, Jackson, King, Collins, Cousins, Post, Graham, Martin, Nason

Carlton: Judd, Scotland, Waite, Garlett, Henderson, Simpson, Jamison
Richmond: Connors, Cousins, Tuck, Morton, Edwards, Post, Martin

Carlton: Joseph (ankle), Hadley (hip), Hampson (ankle)
Richmond: White (calf), Cousins (leg)

Reports: Nil

Umpires: Schmitt, Jeffery, Mollison

Official crowd: 44,716 at the MCG


A DISAPPOINTING Richmond has suffered an 89-point loss to Carlton at the MCG on Saturday afternoon.

Barely more than a fortnight after Brett Ratten blasted his players for a limp effort against Collingwood, the Blues thrashed their second opponent - 23.18 (156) to 10.7 (67).

Chris Judd was outstanding for Carlton with 30 possessions and 12 clearances while Heath Scotland and Bryce Gibbs marshalled the defence to finish with 29 and 23 disposals respectively.

Fresh off signing a new contract, Jeff Garlett was at his opportunistic best with four goals with Jarrad Waite (four goals) and Lachie Henderson (three) providing excellent tall targets.

The Tigers struggled to find many four-quarter performers, but Daniel Connors, Shane Tuck and Ben Cousins, who played out the game with a lower leg injury, battled hard to finish with 26 possessions each.

Carlton's inefficient use of the ball inside 50 kept the Tigers in the contest in the first quarter with the Blues' 10 scoring shots yielding just 3.7 in a scrappy start.

Daniel Jackson and Jake King added a goal each to make it a nine-point game at the first break, but those were the only Richmond majors of the first half.

Carlton got the radar working in the second term and effectively put the result beyond doubt with seven unanswered goals blowing the margin out to 57 points.

The Tigers needed to lift after the dispirited effort and they did just that in the third quarter with Connors and Tuck instrumental in their side's only bright period of the match.

Jack Riewoldt struggled with a double team all day, but broke free 13 minutes into the term to spark a four-goal run.

It at least gave Richmond fans something to cheer about on an otherwise forgettable day.

Perhaps smarting, the Blues finished the game off strongly with a nine-goal final stanza.

However, the win may have come at a cost. Aaron Joseph limped off the ground favouring an ankle halfway through the third term and did not return to the field, while Richard Hadley and Shaun Hampson also finished the match injured.

Offline one-eyed

  • Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • *****
  • Posts: 96282
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Media articles and Stats: Tigers well beaten by Blues
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 06:46:27 PM »
Carlton defeat Richmond by 89 points at the MCG

    * AAP
    * August 14, 2010 6:16PM

CARLTON have belted Richmond by 89 points in another big step towards an AFL finals berth.

But the Blues suffered several injuries in their 23.18 (156) to 10.7 (67) win at the MCG.

Shaun Hampson, Aaron Joseph and Richard Hadley were all off the field by the end of the game.

Blues captain Chris Judd was best afield, while Lachie Henderson also impressed and Jarrad Waite and Jeff Garlett kicked four goals apiece.

Before the match, Tigers coach Damien Hardwick revealed the club would let Ben Cousins know about his AFL future on Monday.

It is widely assumed Richmond will not offer Cousins another one-year contract, ending his tumultuous career.

Channel Seven announced on Friday they will screen the documentary about Cousins' battle with drug addiction later this month.

Cousins was also injured during the Carlton loss, but played out the game and was among the Tigers' best.

It was Carlton's highest score of the season, a week after they kicked 23.11 against Essendon.

The win solidifies Carlton's hold on sixth spot, although they finish the home-and-away season with tough games against Geelong and Fremantle in Perth.

The windy conditions meant plenty of turnovers from the two sides, but the Blues were too good.

Richmond onballer Daniel Jackson kicked the first goal of the game, but the Carlton defence quickly took control and starved the Tigers forwards of chances.

Richmond full-forward Jack Riewoldt, who leads the Coleman Medal, only kicked two goals for the match.

Carlton kicked three goals in the first quarter and only their inaccuracy prevented more trouble for the Tigers.

Midway through the first term, Blues key forward Lachie Henderson took a strong mark and then showed the ball to opponent Brett Deledio.

After Henderson goalled, Deledio angrily snatched a hand towel from a Carlton trainer and rubbed it in his opponent's face.

That cost Deledio a free kick, but Henderson missed the shot on goal.

Carlton went up a gear in the second term, kicking seven goals to one behind for 57-point lead at half time.

The Tigers could not move the ball across half-forward.

Cousins limped off after hurting his calf in a marking contest.

He was able to return to the field, but was proppy for the rest of the match.

Tempers frayed at halftime, with a mass scuffle in the Carlton forward line.

It was no surprise that Richmond's Jake King was in the middle of the push-and-shove.

Cousins also tangled with opponent Dennis Armfield and the off-the-ball incident will come under video scrutiny.

The Blues led by 72 points, 11 minutes into the third term, before Richmond rallied with a run of four goals.

But Waite kicked a goal either side of three-quarter time as the Blues took control again.

Carlton: C Judd B Gibbs L Henderson M Jamison J Waite H Scotland J Garlett R Warnock.
Richmond: D Connors B Cousins S Tuck.

Offline Go Richo 12

  • Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • *****
  • Posts: 5355
Re: Media articles and Stats: Tigers well beaten by Blues
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 07:07:12 PM »
Gee one article would have WP's arteries well truly choking! Post and Conners in the best!  :lol

Offline one-eyed

  • Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • *****
  • Posts: 96282
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers cop Blue belting (Age)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 05:24:54 AM »
Tigers cop Blue belting
Rohan Connolly
August 15, 2010

IF THERE'S been a worse opening quarter to a game this year than yesterday's at the MCG, condolences to those who had to suffer through it. This was appalling stuff, admittedly hardly helped by a swirling, gusty wind, but in which sometimes even the execution of basic football fundamentals seemed beyond the grasp of almost anyone on the ground.

Of course, there are always exceptions, and in this case Carlton captain Chris Judd was a very honourable one. While nearly all the Tigers, and a good handful of Judd's teammates, were stumbling, fumbling and turning it over, Judd was just as committed, and on another level with his skills and decision-making.

Eventually, Judd managed to drag the Blues along with him, which meant that you could at least watch one team playing half-decent football and experience the sometimes perverse pleasure in watching a one-sided picnic, and a fair, old thrashing more in keeping with the Tigers of old.

Even in the first, error-riddled term, Carlton had enjoyed enough ball and enough scoring chances to put the result beyond doubt. But the Blues' radar was right out, 3.7 the wasteful return. It started early, when Eddie Betts ran in for the first goal of the game and hit the post from 20 metres out. Jeff Garlett missed a sitter from a free kick. Lachie Henderson missed another golden chance having been gifted a second shot at goal after Brett Deledio had committed the heinous crime of mockingly wiping Henderson's brow with a towel.

Against better opposition, they might have been lost chances lamented. But Richmond was so poor yesterday all it meant was Carlton would have to wait to convert the next inevitable chance. In the second term it did, and that was that.

The Blues piled on 7.5 in a second-quarter procession. The Tigers not only couldn't score, they couldn't even get the ball past halfway. While Judd continued to run amok, Bryce Gibbs roamed free and easy and Henderson showed some really good signs with his hard leading and defensive pressure, not to mention three first-half goals. Richmond had next to no resistance to offer.

Richmond won't play too many quarters as uncompetitive as its second term yesterday. The Tigers entered their forward 50 a grand total of four times for the quarter. Halfway through that term, Carlton had had 32 possessions in its forward 50 to Richmond's two. Yes, two. What did come the Tiger forwards' way came straight back again, Jack Riewoldt very soundly held by Michael Jamison. And Richmond's lack of pretty much everything helped bring some Blues, who hadn't been great, well into the picture.

You sensed you were about to watch a belting once Garlett had the first goal of the second quarter on the board within two minutes, a casual stroll into an unguarded goal square after more great Judd work.

Then debutant David Gourdis tried to sidestep Henderson, was nailed and another resulted.

By the time Richard Hadley and Heath Scotland had bombed two more through, it was serious party time, Shaun Grigg, Jarrad Waite and Henderson again joining in festivities.

It was already nearly a 10-goal margin at half-time, leaving Carlton merely having to avoid mishap for a half, and Richmond with nothing to gain but a little belated respectability.

Briefly, the Tigers did manage to claw some back, a string of four unanswered goals midway through the third quarter the reward for the only period all afternoon in which Richmond seemed prepared to back itself and show a bit of dare.

They weren't without triers, the Tiges, none better than Ben Cousins, who looked like he might have broken his leg late in the second quarter but soldiered on bravely, finishing with 26 touches and six clearances.

It was brave stuff, and if, as it appears, Richmond is to go without his services in 2011, it must be pretty confident about the rest of its list.

Daniel Connors had a crack, so did Deledio, Shane Tuck, Shane Edwards, and later on, Dustin Martin. But most of the rest looked every bit like a team which had had enough and was keen to get on with the end-of-season trip. Funnily enough, given an 89-point win, Carlton will want to play better than it did yesterday, too, if it is to finish its own year any longer than a week after the Tigers.

But as a confidence builder, at least, it was hard to beat, the cheap touches and easy goals coming apace again in the final term, nine of them giving Carlton its highest score of the year.

Waite impressed up forward, booting four for a second week in a row, Robert Warnock looked impressive again in the ruck, Scotland, Kade Simpson, Marc Murphy, Gibbs and Andrew Carrazzo were all busy, and Garlett and, belatedly, Betts, were able to get on the end of enough good work further afield to share six goals.

And thank goodness for that. At least we ended up seeing one team string some coherent footy together. Who knows how much of a crowd there would have been left by the end had we all been put through another three quarters as bad as the first.

Robert Warnock (Carlton): Has shown why the Blues fought so hard to snare him from Fremantle. In addition to some deft taps in the centre, Warnock impressed with his kicking and marking skills. His attack on Chris Judd's pass in the last quarter, where he marked at full stretch and converted from 25 metres, was particularly good.

Ben Cousins (Richmond): After a week of focus on next week's screening of his documentary, it was nice to be reminded of the primary reason why he is famous: the way he plays football. Seven first-quarter possessions continued his rich form of the past month but his day looked to be finished when he left the ground with a severe limp. The diagnosis on radio that Cousins had a fractured fibula created the suspicion it may be the last time the Brownlow medallist would be seen at AFL level, but he tenaciously defied that gloomy outlook to return as a solid contributor.

After a profligate first quarter, Carlton slammed through seven goals to nil in the second to ensure its dominance in general play translated onto the scoreboard. The lack of intensity was startling, and the Blues did not have to produce anywhere near the intensity that will be required for finals.

Richmond was only 11 points down at the first break but that masked how far off the pace it was. In the opening quarter the Tigers had only two possessions inside their attacking 50. Their four consecutive goals in the third quarter temporarily added respectability to the scoreboard but Carlton's scoreboard dominance in the last quarter was deserved.

Carlton: Judd, Waite, Scotland, Henderson, Jamison, Warnock, Gibbs.
Richmond: Cousins, Connors, Deledio, Edwards, Tuck, Gourdis.

Carlton: Geelong (ES), Fremantle (Subiaco).
Richmond: St Kilda (ES), Port Adelaide (ES). - JESSE HOGAN

Offline one-eyed

  • Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • *****
  • Posts: 96282
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Carlton defeat Richmond by 89 points at the MCG (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 05:38:59 AM »
Carlton defeat Richmond by 89 points at the MCG
Rod Nicholson
Herald Sun
August 15, 2010

MAYBE it was the aftermath of the midweek rebuke - delivered with renowned piercing, steely blue eyes - by old club champ Big Nick that stirred the camp.

Whatever, Carlton yesterday would have made John Nicholls proud with the demolition of arch-rivals Richmond at the MCG.

They did the brand proud with an 89-point win, complementing last week's 76-point thrashing of Essendon.

In doing so, the Blues continued their confidence-building run into the finals with its highest score of the season as it prepares for Geelong and Fremantle before September action.

The opposition was pitiful, certainly in the opening half, but at least the Blues showed skill in adverse conditions, flair and a ruthlessness too often missing in recent years.

The bonus was the influence of tall forward Lachie Henderson, whose three goals, 10 marks, and 17 disposals gave the Blues a high-marking, big-framed forward to complement their mosquito fleet.

At 196cm and 96kg, the 21-year-old has a touch of class about him, and considerable self-confidence.

Put him alongside Jarrad Waite (four goals, nine marks and 19 disposals to follow up his four goals last week) and the goal-kicking potential makes the Blues a potential wildcard in the finals.

The effort of the two tall forwards, particularly to set-up the victory, was important given the indifferent form of the Carlton small brigade in the opening half. Jeff Garlett finished with four goals and Eddie Betts contributed two, but that was during party time.

Overall, the team had 12 individual goalscorers, including Jordan Russell late in the match for his first goal of the season, and astonishingly went into their 50m zone 86 times to Richmond's paltry 19.

The form of Chris Judd (30 disposals), Bryce Giggs (23) and Heath Scotland (29) is vital because the engine room determines the opportunities given up forward.

Judd was the class player on the field.

Not only did he dictate terms, he provided five scoring assists and set up countless teammate possessions.

Gibbs was allowed to feast as a loose man in defence. His job was made easier by the Tiger tactics.

Coach Damien Hardwick used an extra defender and, while this bottled up the Carlton attack, the Tigers had few options when rebounding, with the ball inevitably ending up with Gibbs.

The Blues had the match in their grasp by half-time, boasting a 57-point advantage after bombarding the Tigers with a 7.5 to 0.1 second term.

By half-time the Blues boasted 22 scoring shots to only five, and they had the ball in their forward 50m zone so much that the Tigers were fortunate not to be annihilated.

In the end, they had 29 of their 30 scoring shots through the corridor, so much did they dominate the most productive stretch of turf.

The Tiger tactics were bewildering, as they had been several weeks ago against Collingwood. It took until the third term for the trend to become man-on-man for the contest to have any balance.

The Tigers booted four consecutive goals - the first to Jack Riewoldt at the 13 minute mark - after the Blues had extended the lead to 72 points.

Riewoldt was double-teamed for most of the match.

He had limited opportunities anyway, but most of those were from under-pressure teammates whose delivery was not conducive to the style of the Coleman Medal leader.

Another encouraging sign for Carlton was the ruck work of Robert Warnock, who managed 18 hit-outs, a goal and 15 disposals.

Big Nick would approve of the progress of the 23-year-old, who has stepped up since the injury to Matthew Kreuzer.

Carlton: C Judd B Gibbs L Henderson M Jamison J Waite H Scotland J Garlett R Warnock.
Richmond: D Connors B Cousins S Tuck.