Author Topic: Crowd singing and chanting at games  (Read 2694 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Crowd singing and chanting at games
« on: December 22, 2004, 04:20:52 PM »
I was thinking about this while watching the Liverpool v Newcastle EPL game over the weekend when the fans at the "KOP" end all in one voice start singing "You'll never walk alone". Always wondered why apart from the cheer squad who sing "we are the Tiger army" at 3/4 time why Aussie rules crowds or even at least club members who all sit together never got into the singing and chanting as one culture during games. There's obviously more goals and more action in Aussie rules (and that fact I can't sing  :P) but it still could be a "tactic" by the home crowd to get their side across the line. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: Crowd singing and chanting at games
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 04:32:26 PM »
That's true MT, it's never really taken off in Aussie Rules.

The Swans once in a while get that irritating, laborious chant of "Sydney, Sydney, Syndey" going and you just feel like getting out an uzi and spraying the crowd when they do it. Other than that you don't get much sustained chanting.

I agree that it has a lot to do with the dynamics of the game, and how the ball is pretty much always in contention, and things can change so rapidly (Richmond's past few seasons excluded), so it always keeps you from getting any monotonous chant going.

I'd also like to think its becuase Aussies are the best at the world at giving crap and making jokes and are much more into analysing the game rather than just simply being worshippers of the team and players. lmfaoooooo@Tiger fans giving it to their own team more than the opposition.  Though i don't think this is the main reason why chants don't get going.

Ox

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 04:36:52 PM »
The ugi ugi ugi chant is just plain embarassing when used at intrnational events such as tennis.

It's like saying "we are schitman born of convicts and this is what we think"

I stuffen hate it and every idiot that says it.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 04:43:57 PM »
Just not Aussie culture. Singing is a much bigger part of British and Irish culture. When have you ever walked into an Aussie pub and seen a group of people standing in the corner having a good old sing song?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 04:52:36 PM »
The Swans once in a while get that irritating, laborious chant of "Sydney, Sydney, Syndey" going

If there's one condition then it has to be that what you sing is creative otherwise forget it as it is irritating and monotonous. You can't compare "Sydney, Sydney Sdney, oi, oi,oi" to a stirring chorus of "You'll never walk alone". Seems to be a interstate thing too as Freo, Lions and Eagles supporters do it as well. Crows fans use to the "ARK" call when they first came into the comp. Not sure if they still do it.

I'd also like to think its becuase Aussies are the best at the world at giving crap and making jokes and are much more into analysing the game rather than just simply being worshippers of the team and players.

Unless you follow the Pies. They are blind worshippers up there with the best of them. Eddie sures knows this as well and plays on it to drag more money in. As much as Pie fans are annoying because of it, it's this delusion of grandeur that is the reason they've only won 1 flag in almost 50 years because they'll never admit they're a crap footy team. Keep up the good work Eddie :lol

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 07:04:51 PM »
I have heard a few classic chants overseas across the years.

I was at the England vs Australia 1-3 game at Upton park.

Classic chant coming from the Aussie end, "what about the rugby" ; which switched to "what about the cricket" which switched to "what about the Tennis", then culminated in "what about the soccer"

Great night.

I agree with Oxx, Ozzie,Ozzie, Ozzie oi, oi, oi should be banned.  Usually comes from Queenslanders actually.  Do not know why..

Maybe its all the sun frying their brains

I  still cannot believe the chant "You fat bastard, you fat bastard, who ate all the pies" hasn't taken off when people kick out from fullback.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 07:57:35 PM »
Can't stand that chant Aussie Aussie Aussie oi oi oi, it is sooo degrading, it's embarrising. Come on Aussie come on was light years better.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 08:12:37 PM »
After sitting at a whole day's play of Test cricket a few times and suffering the non-stop, torturous and moronic chanting of "Balmy Army, Balmy Army, Balmy......." I am totally mortified that Richmond fans chant the same rubbish at 3/4 time.
At least I'm thankful the roar meter, Marty Fields and the mercifully short-lived "Tigers in the lead" song have all been given the r's.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 12:54:33 AM »
Here's a link to the ORCS chants. "You'll never walk alone" is actually one of them. I don't remember them ever singing it  ???.

http://www.acslink.aone.net.au/dc/ORCS/Chants.html

Ah the old roar-meter  ;D. It didn't matter if the crowd went nuts after a great goal or not, the bloke controlling it would just pick a % at random  ???.

When did we have the "Tigers in the lead" song FF? Obviously not recently  :P. Do you remember the words?  ;).

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 02:28:48 AM »
that wogga wogga chant cracks me up

who were the drunken bumbs to think those first two lines up.. please explain, heard it once in perth and I knew what it was but watching the perth (eagles crowd) faces around a bunch of 20 mad tiger fans was a laugh they were just totally confused

LOL

There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2004, 07:14:42 AM »
When did we have the "Tigers in the lead" song FF? Obviously not recently  :P. Do you remember the words? 
It must have been about 2000 MT. We played Melbourne round 1 on the Friday night at the MCG, led all night and won. :)
Problem was some bright spark decided it would be a good idea to change the chorus of "Turning Japanese" (by The Vapours) and play it at 1/4 & 3/4 time at home games if we were in front. :help Thankfully it only lasted 2 or 3 home games before sanity prevailed.

The words from my deeply scarred memory were: "Tigers in the lead oh yes the Tigers in the lead I really think so."

I remember the singer of The Vapours once saying the song was about choking the chutney funnel. Not his exact words but you know what I mean. Probably fitting because whoever decided it was a good idea to play the song at Richmond games was a wanker.

As for Marty Fields, he is a keen Tigers fan and was probably helping out so deserves a bit of credit. Only a bit though because he's about as funny as Fred Bassett and entertaining as Laurie Oakes. (apologies to Laurie)

It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 08:55:11 AM »

Classic chant coming from the Aussie end, "what about the rugby" ; which switched to "what about the cricket" which switched to "what about the Tennis", then culminated in "what about the soccer"

Great night.

I agree with Oxx, Ozzie,Ozzie, Ozzie oi, oi, oi should be banned.  Usually comes from Queenslanders actually.  Do not know why..

I  still cannot believe the chant "You fat bastard, you fat bastard, who ate all the pies" hasn't taken off when people kick out from fullback.

Hey I take exception to that! >:(

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2004, 10:40:55 AM »
Ahhhh this thread is made for me....I personally dont think that this works well for Australian culture. Even at the cricket the chanting isn't existent but for some sparse moments. Being a follower of the round-ball, and coming from the land of Greece, their culture is all about singing and chanting. Our methods are a lot different to the english. We like to use our hands to make motions, use colour, banners and flares to add to the spectacle. At times (some people think this is stupid), we have turned our backs on the game and linked arms....and are jumping rythmically singing in unison. Its hard to explain why we do this, but I tell ya, the goosebumps are absolutely ridiculous.....

heres a taste of this: http://www.original21.com/media/Fotos/full_cover.php?f=inter-aek_077.jpg
http://www.original21.com/media/Fotos/full_cover.php?f=15-12-02_AEK-Panionios.jpg

Me personally....I think its great but Im willing to go with the flow. Im not going to critisize the culture here bc they dont. If they do (like with teh Grog Squad), Ill go join them; otherwise Ill enjoy the game just as much if I dont.

It definately adds something different but its not for everyone.......
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2004, 07:38:53 PM »

Great night.

Hey I take exception to that! >:(

I don't mean to tar all the queenslanders with the same brush. 

Just out of interest Jules - have you ever chanted it?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2004, 04:26:24 AM »
It must have been about 2000 MT. We played Melbourne round 1 on the Friday night at the MCG, led all night and won. :)
Problem was some bright spark decided it would be a good idea to change the chorus of "Turning Japanese" (by The Vapours) and play it at 1/4 & 3/4 time at home games if we were in front. :help Thankfully it only lasted 2 or 3 home games before sanity prevailed.

The words from my deeply scarred memory were: "Tigers in the lead oh yes the Tigers in the lead I really think so."

I remember it FF now that you mention the Vapours' song  :help. Spud's first win. We got smashed the following 2 weeks against the bombers and roos and then lost to Freo by a point or something (?) at the Dome in the game where Richo did that season ending foot injury :(.