Author Topic: 2001: A space odyssey  (Read 3478 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
2001: A space odyssey
« on: December 30, 2004, 01:53:17 AM »
I was emailed this link giving an explanation of the meaning behind 2001: A space odyssey. Not bad.

www.kubrick2001.com

ps. you need "flash" to view it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 01:54:58 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: 2001: A space odyssey
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 03:49:48 AM »
An interesting interpretation. Thanks for that  :thumbsup

2001 is a haunting movie. I have always been struck by the dehumanisation of humans and the humanisation of machines as portrayed in the film. HAL 9000 seems more alive than the astronauts in the space vessel. It's slow scene of death remains with me to this day.

I remember the impression I had after I watched the film was that Kubrick was being a bit of an optimist, hoping that through some invisible guidance shaping our evolution and enlightenment (though having the capacity to wreak havoc and make automatons out of us) it would lead to a new awakening for humans and ultimately give us immortality through regeneration.

I'm not so optimistic. For all the technological advancements and intellectual progress humans have made we are still as dumb as schit and no closer to immortality or salvation through all that we know than we were 1000 years ago (and it doesn't look too promising for the future eaither). The movie would have been better if it ended with the absurd space astronaut in the 18th century room setting hopelessly grasping for eternal life and understanding from his death bed, still believing that enlightenment and evolution are the key to salvation. But for all that, still being no better than those in the 18th century with dreams that intelligence was to be the panacea for the world's problems.

Dr. Strangelove and Full Metal Jacket are more on the money with regards to the human condition.

lmfaoooo@my pessimistic thoughts at 4 AM. eff, I know I'm being too bleak.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 03:59:20 AM by JohnF »

Ox

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 01:29:38 PM »
LMAO JohnF

Brilliant!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 03:52:35 PM »
Thank you DavidF Stratton  :thumbsup

I know someone who is totally nuts over 2001. Believes it to be the greatest Sci Fi film of all time because it is technically correct (no sound in the vacuum of space etc).

The first 3 Sci Fi films I ever saw were The Empire Strikes Back, The Black Hole and 2001 when I was a kid. The first two were sit back, veg and let the story entertain and explain itself to you. I'd guess as a kid I was expecting the same from 2001 given the wraps on it but got bored especially with the first half of the film. You need to be in a certain mood to watch something like 2001. It should come with a notice saying it's a film where you need to think about what is happening up on the screen rather than the typical flick where the "action" does the thinking for you. 

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 05:27:09 PM »
lmfaoooo, yeah it's not a popcorn movie. If you approach the movie wanting to contemplate existence and what the future holds for humankind, you might appreciate it. (Dropping some acid during the flight to Jupiter scenes also seems to help some  :lol) If you are looking for some solid entertainment that doesn't get too bogged down in metaphysics, then you'll most likely hate it.

I've urged a friend to watch it and he says he has tried on multiple occasions but keeps falling asleep.  :banghead Others I know love it, others hate it.

As far as a film goes, its definitely not my favourite, but it's a movie that was way ahead of its time and contemplates some issues which are still relevant to this day, especially for those who still believe in progress, evolution, artificial intelligence and the hope in space exploration and discovery.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 05:29:47 PM by JohnF »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 03:24:54 PM »
Vale Arthur C Clarke

RIP