Author Topic: Future leaders grow on New Zealand farm (Herald-Sun)  (Read 694 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Future leaders grow on New Zealand farm (Herald-Sun)
« on: November 28, 2010, 01:29:40 AM »
Future leaders grow on New Zealand farm
Glenn McFarlane
Sunday Herald Sun
November 28, 2010

RICHMOND will return from its New Zealand training camp satisfied it has fast-tracked potential young leaders as well as enhanced the experiences of its playing list.

The Tigers spent five days locked in several physical and mental challenges across the Tasman.

These ranged from cycling, running, hiking and canoeing to a series of farmyard chores that included chasing rams, chopping wood and putting up electric fences.

Trent Cotchin, the youngest member of the leadership group, said the camp had been a significant team-bonding experience.

"This is a young group that is trying to learn off each other as well as learning off the coaches, and we have been trying to develop those skills together," Cotchin said.

"It has all been about decision-making and developing your leadership skills not just the leaders of each group, but everyone."

The players were divided into six groups that competed for points in the "Kiwi Cup".

Cotchin was the skipper of the All Blacks.

But the midfielder said he had been impressed by the leadership roles played by many on the trip, including former Demon Brad Miller, who is certain to be picked up in the rookie draft, former Bomber Bachar Houli, who will be the club's pre-season pick, and Shaun Grigg, who was traded from Carlton.

"They've been great," Cotchin said. "Even the young guys (drafted last week) are only a week into their first AFL experience and they are already having a bit to say.

"That's a really good sign for the club. And some of the guys who would not be known as leaders of the group are starting to make an impact and taking the reins."

The turnover of senior players over the past two years has made it imperative fresh leaders emerge to assist other members of the leadership group.

"As special as those people were and as much of an impact as they had on the group, someone has to fill their roles," Cotchin said.

"That is why we need to have these trips, and we will be all the better for it."

One of the Tigers' most important players, Cotchin is enjoying his best pre-season to date after having interrupted summers over the past few years.

"I am just trying to take each session as it comes," he said.

"Every player has times when he is tight and sore. It's just a matter of monitoring that, and making sure I'm not overloading my body when I feel tight and sore."

"Touch wood, I am feeling good and I'm enjoying the pre-season. With such a good bunch of guys around you, you can't help but enjoy yourself."

Cotchin, 20, was elevated to the leadership group this year and is thriving on playing his part in the rebirth of Richmond.

"On our camp last year I probably took a bit of a back seat role because I had 'Newy' (captain Chris Newman) in my team," he said.

"But this one has been a bit different. You want to be best mates with all of the boys, but you also know there are times when you have to step up."

Cotchin said the young Tigers were determined to build on their 2010 season when they finished 15th and won only six games including four in a row after losing the first nine under first-year coach Damien Hardwick.

"The hardest thing was knowing we had the right plan in place," he said.

"We always believed we were a chance, but it was a fair kick in the bum not to win the first nine rounds.

"We stuck to the plan, and we finished off the season well.

"We will take some confidence out of the way we played and obviously make a few minor changes.

"But we still finished 15th, so we know we still have a lot of work to do."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/future-leaders-grow-on-new-zealand-farm/story-e6frf9jf-1225962000297

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
Re: Future leaders grow on New Zealand farm (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 12:26:34 PM »
spoken like a future captain
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: Future leaders grow on New Zealand farm (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 07:34:14 PM »
Lets hope a whole swag of them have stood up and shown some leadership and start growing as leaders. The more the better and the better we will be.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.