Author Topic: Tigers face unrest over finances (Age)  (Read 3328 times)

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers face unrest over finances (Age)
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 10:31:37 PM »
Hawks managed to keep HSBC through the dark years, sponsorship is an issue at the club. Despite our on field issues, we have more than enough support to recruit and retain major sponsors.

North do a much better job keeping their major sponsor than Richmond - we smash them everywhere else off field due to our large supporter base.

It's not going to send us broke but a big "cgu" that collingwood have or "tassie" deal that the hawks have is crucial to our abilty to plan in the medium term.

These deals are more than sponsorships, they are partnerships that link the 2 businesses together.
We need something similar at Tigerland.

The short term stadium deals at Cairns and Darwin along with year by year deals with Dick Smith and
Luxbet show up our light weight sponsorship and marketing dept.

I personally think that they must be aiming for something like this which is tied up in the re-naming of Punt Rd as re-naming a stadium - Etihad, Visy etc requires a long term commitment from both parties.

It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 12:55:41 AM »
North do a much better job keeping their major sponsor than Richmond - we smash them everywhere else off field due to our large supporter base.
Hard to compare unless you know the financial details of the deals
Fair chance we're after a lot more money than what North are getting

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 05:30:43 AM »

Mazda re-signed as their major sponsor in mid 2009 for 2 more years @ $350k per year (that figure was quoted in US $'s so possibly closer to $400k our money).  As Infamy said, I would think we are after a fair bit more than that for our major sponsor, especially since it was reported 2 years ago that the Luxbet co-major sponsor deal was reputedly around the $1mil mark.  Our revenues are significantly higher than North's so keeping a major sponsor at such a reduced premium is not necessarily an indicator of more success at marketing and sponsorship.  The whole idea of marketing and sponsorship is to allow the club to pay it's bills and grow the entity - something North have failed dismally at for many many years now.  Innovative marketing does not equate to successful marketing if it fails to make enough $$'s.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/mazda_backs_north_melbourne_football_club/

tony_montana

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 02:27:04 PM »
Can anybody confirm that us and North generate the lowest corporate income of all AFL clubs?

gerkin greg

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 04:32:36 PM »
I can confirm that I face severe unrest when I think about Caroline Wilson before bedtime

10 FLAGS

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 04:33:56 PM »
I can confirm that I face severe unrest when I think about Caroline Wilson before bedtime

You seem to be a very sordid individual gerkin!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 05:00:52 PM »

If you didn't have pictures of her on your ceiling then you wouldn't think about her at that time...as often.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 05:03:25 PM »

You seem to be a very sordid individual gerkin!

Greggy is disgusting.

gerkin greg

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 05:17:20 PM »
very true, very true
trying to stop thinking about her is like trying to dislodge england with a wet tennis ball
i hope she tips some coin into this debt demolition, i hear she's been putting in extra shifts at the docks

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 09:16:47 PM »
It is hard to build ling term relationships with sponsors when you have turnover of staff at a senior level of corporate operations/marketing.
It's even worse when you employ light weights who do not have relationships with potential sponsors.

It's the last piece in the off field puzzle the club needs to fix.

Maybe someone can explain the responsibilities of the various people at the club cos I just don't follow.

When this subject arose after we lost Dick Smith and Luxbet as major sponsors I thought that the new guy in "Commercial Operations", Simon Derrick, may have been an improvement in this area.
When I looked at the club website I saw that listed under "Sponsorship" was the "Marketing and Brand Manager", Cameron Morris. So I assumed he was in charge of finding sponsors.
Not so apparently. In his interview with the fan sites, Gary March has said that
Re: Sponsor. Simon Derrick and Brendan Gale have been working on negotiations with a number of parties regarding major sponsor and potential naming rights for PRO and are confident we will announce those before Christmas.    

Simon Derrick and his team have been diligent in putting proposals infront of nearly every major company in Australia including Tiger, unfortunately some organisations like Tiger airlines do not see AFL football as part of their brand development.

This is the sort of stuff that infuriates me about the club.
It seems that titles and duties are so jumbled as to seem a deliberate attempt to confuse and misdirect members so they don't know who is reponsible for any actions

Simon Derrick is listed as Commercial Operations but not under Sponsorship or Marketing or Brand Management, yet is responsible for these areas?
His assistant is Dale Weightman (who seems to move all over the place), who March said in the interview was handling player appearances at clinics.  ???
"Siomon Derrick and his team" means what? That he has taken over the sponsorship area and they now work for him?    

gerkin greg

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 10:11:39 PM »
Simon Derrick is also Tom Derrickx

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 10:12:51 PM »
Derr!
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 10:15:08 PM »
Simon Derrick is also Tom Derrickx

Derick-X

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 11:05:21 PM »

it's not the $, it's the principle that is worth comparing. Swans with QBE, Lions CUB, Cats Ford They have long term sponsors and it frees them up to screw down better deals with secondary sponsors look at the Pies- if they can get a 7 year deal worth $14m for a 2nd major surely we can get something worth 1-1.5m for 5 years for a primary sponsor?

It is a missing link at the club and we don't do it well enough - I do think we have a brilliant CEO but he needs better cattle at an Ops level taking from being "in" the running of the business to being "on" it.

The fact Benny Gale is involved tells me that they don't have the right people in the role. He is the CEO, not the sponsorship manager!
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 06:54:37 AM »
Can anybody confirm that us and North generate the lowest corporate income of all AFL clubs?
They generate the lowest total income of the Vic clubs .........

Revenue      Net Assets

Collingwood   $75m

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/portals/0/magpies_docs/CFC_annual_report_2010.pdf [ File wouldn't open properly for me ??? ]

Essendon      $44.7m*        $20.6m

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/club/2010AnnualReport.pdf

Geelong       $40.9m        $8.6m

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/Portals/0/cats_docs/GFC_Financial_Report_2009.pdf [2009]

Hawthorn      $40.5m       $25.9m 

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/Portals/0/hawks_docs/10_annualreport.pdf

Carlton:      $35m          $12.6m

http://www.rippledirect.com.au/images/carltonfc/cfc_stat_accts_2010.pdf

W.Bulldogs    $32m*         $22.4m

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/Portals/0/bulldogs_docs/2010FinReport.pdf

Richmond      $31.5m*       $13.2m

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/portals/0/richmond_docs/RFC%20Concise%20Financial%20Report%202010.pdf

St Kilda      $27.6m        -$125k

http://www.saints.com.au/portals/0/saints_docs/pdf09/annualreport_saints_web.pdf [2009]

Melbourne     $26.1         -$3.2m ...... probably closer to even now they've wiped out their debt.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/Portals/0/demons_docs/MFC-Annual-Report-Final.pdf [2009]

North:        $23.5m*        $7m

http://cms.kangaroos.com.au/Portals/0/2009%20Financial%20Report.pdf [2009]

* revenue from operating activities