Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 784286 times)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #2130 on: March 19, 2014, 09:02:17 PM »
Abbott damm legend. What a great summer he has had. Boats where are they??

Im waiting on the senate in July's decision on the PPL scheme. My feel is that it wont go ahead or watered down, which is probably the right thing.

That being said Il gladly my wife will gladly take the 75k and wont look back if its offered. My house is in need of a pool and that will certainly help that.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2131 on: March 25, 2014, 05:15:24 PM »

Now doesn't this sum up this Government.

I just hope Quentin tells him to shove it.

Tony Abbott reintroduces knight and dame honours for Australians

March 25, 2014 - 4:25PM

Matthew Knott 

The Abbott government will reintroduce the honour of knights and dames of the Order of Australia to celebrate pre-eminent Australians such as outgoing Governor-General Quentin Bryce.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott announced on Tuesday afternoon that up to four knights or dames will be appointed in any year.

The first dame under the changes will be the outgoing Governor-General Quentin Bryce and the first knight will be incoming Governor-General Peter Cosgrove. All future governors-general will be appointed a Knight or a Dame.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/tony-abbott-reintroduces-knight-and-dame-honours-for-australians-20140325-35fzo.html#ixzz2wx78kr00
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2132 on: March 25, 2014, 05:43:22 PM »

Tony Abbott reintroduces knight and dame honours for Australians

Good to see the govt yet again dealing with the big issues  :clapping

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2133 on: March 25, 2014, 06:56:48 PM »
Sir Abbot has a good ring to it

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2134 on: March 26, 2014, 02:47:45 PM »
Tony is a bigger moron than I thought.

Tony Abbott bypassed colleagues on dames and knights move as Labor says it's a distraction from bad headlines

Prime Minister Tony Abbott has confirmed that he did not take his decision to reintroduce dames and knights to his colleagues as Labor has criticised the move as a distraction from a bad week for the government.

Mr Abbott told Fairfax radio 3AW that the decision was his, and was not taken to cabinet or the party room.

''I consulted with a number of senior colleagues,'' he said. ''I took some soundings in the community but in the end it was my recommendation to the Queen which she graciously accepted.''

Several Liberal colleagues expressed their surprise at the announcement, Liberal Senator Sue Boyce saying she was ''disappointed'' that the Prime Minister had returned Australians to an outdated ''imperial'' honours system.

''Those sorts of titles, they don't fit in Australia to me, they never did... and they fit even less in 21st century Australia,'' Senator Boyce told ABC24 on Wednesday.

Senator Boyce said she admired Dame Quentin Bryce, but was ''somewhat disappointed'' the departing Governor-General, who is a republican, had accepted Mr Abbott's first damehood.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/tony-abbott-bypassed-colleagues-on-dames-and-knights-move-as-labor-says-its-a-distraction-from-bad-headlines-20140326-35h7y.html#ixzz2x2LwEovW
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2135 on: March 26, 2014, 08:10:04 PM »
Tasman trees / Gb reef ideas brilliant

Gw tomy

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2136 on: March 27, 2014, 07:42:57 AM »

This lot of incompetent fools are completely misreading the voters.

George Brandis rolled on changes to Racial Discrimination Act
March 27, 2014

Peter Hartcher, James Massola

Federal cabinet forced George Brandis to soften his original proposal to loosen constraints on racist insults and hate speech.

In a lengthy cabinet meeting on Monday night - and amid growing backbench concerns - Senator Brandis watered down his proposals for changes to section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act.

The Attorney-General was instead obliged to settle for only a draft exposure bill. This allows the government position to remain fluid and community groups to react. The changes proposed to the act in an exposure draft on release to the government party room on Tuesday contained a weakening of Senator Brandis' original proposals.

The outcome represented what one minister described as a compromise between the conservative and moderate factions. One minister said: ''George has really drunk the right-wing Kool-Aid.''

Another minister said Mr Brandis' original proposal was ''much worse'' than the agreed text and he had been forced to back down. A third minister present at the meeting said the original bill had been ''terrible''.

Asked if the cabinet had forced the change from a bill to an exposure draft, that minister said ''things are evolving all the time'' and that the exposure draft still ''needs to be changed quite substantially''.

The exposure draft released has proposed section 18C, which makes it unlawful for someone to act in a manner likely to ''offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate'' someone because of their race or ethnicity, would be repealed while section 18D, which provides protections for freedom of speech, will be removed and replaced by a new section.

The changes remove the words ''offend, insult and humiliate'', leave in ''intimidate'' and adds the word ''vilify'' for the first time.

But a  passage  in the exposure draft that exempts words and images "in public discussion of any political, social, cultural, religious, artistic, academic or scientific matter", has attracted a storm of criticism for being too broad and weakening current protections.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/george-brandis-rolled-on-changes-to-racial-discrimination-act-20140326-35iyh.html#ixzz2x6TZmQxt

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2137 on: March 27, 2014, 08:00:20 AM »

Smart Politician is our Tony. This is pure deflection to take the heat off the Sinodinos affair.

PM's honours moves revives republican movement numbers

March 27, 2014

Matthew Knott and Mark Kenny

The Australian Republican Movement has welcomed Tony Abbott's reintroduction of knighthoods and damehoods saying it has re-invigorated the republican cause and prompted a membership spike.

The bizarre outcome was among the unintended consequences of Tuesday afternoon's surprise announcement, which saw the Abbott government subjected to ridicule in Parliament, newspapers and talkback radio, and across social media.

Speaking at the National Press Club, Opposition Leader Bill Shorten asked if the country was in a time warp, noting that not even John Howard had revived the British titles in his almost 12 years as prime minister.

With the Prime Minister on the defensive in Parliament, Labor used the announcement to claim the government's priorities were wrong. Privately some ministers expressed incredulity that Mr Abbott had taken such an approach without recourse to the cabinet or party room.

David Morris, national director of the Australian Republican Movement, said Mr Abbott's announcement had reframed debate from the ''celebrity monarchy'' to pride in Australia's national institutions.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/pms-honours-moves-revives-republican-movement-numbers-20140326-35iwd.html#ixzz2x6XyeJte

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2138 on: March 28, 2014, 07:18:09 AM »

The worst PM in my memory. The man has NFI.

Tony Abbott's pre-budget fortnight of blunders and stuff-ups   

Mark Kenny
Chief political correspondent

Friday is a red-letter day for the Abbott government.

It marks 100 days since any successful people-smuggling venture has made it to Australia.

The government has not been shy about its Operation Sovereign Borders milestone nor for that matter the 30 or 40 daily increments leading up to it.

It comes ironically enough, at the fag-end of the most mistake-laden fortnight for the government since the travel entitlements debacle marred its first weeks in office.

Back then Tony Abbott had been strangely absent, his minimalist approach erroneously designed to position him as the opposite of the news cycle-obsessed Rudd-Gillard outfits.

What it actually conveyed was a government without a message and a prime minister without a firm hand on the wheel.

Opinion polls reflected this vacuum and by the close of 2013, press gallery journalists were being backgrounded to the effect that things would change in 2014.

Abbott’s performance since has been more positive and the government had looked to be settling in.

But the sitting fortnight just concluded, the last before the May budget session, has been anything but impressive, starting out badly and getting steadily worse.

And with each day, the prime minister’s normally confident body language in parliament has chronicled that slide.

First came the storm over the past business dealings of his assistant treasurer, Arthur Sinodinos.

Sinodinos stood down from his post last week pending Independent Commission Against Corruption hearings into Australian Water Holdings, but it wasn’t Abbott’s doing. He continued to enthusiastically spruik the imminent return of Sinodinos to the ministry.

In any event, the voluntary suspension has failed to defuse the issue amid new testimony at ICAC that Sinodinos was expressly warned of governance problems including the possible insolvency of AWH, when he was chairman in 2010.

Sinodinos himself will give evidence to the first of two ICAC inquiries next week, with commissioner Megan Latham pointedly leaving open the possibility on Wednesday of an actual corruption finding against Sinodinos - ostensibly the government’s chief ministerial guardian of corporate governance - if he is judged to have breached his duties as a company director. Counsel assisting the inquiry, Geoffrey Watson, SC, appears hot-to-trot on this score, arguing the ICAC Act contains a section dealing with corrupt conduct which ''seems to be capable of being applied’’ to directors’ duties ‘‘depending on the facts which emerge’’ in this case.

This has become a running sore for Abbott. Colleagues worry that Abbott’s support will make it harder to cut the minister loose if needed, but it might actually make it easier, allowing the Prime Minister to explain the dismissal as anything but a personal preference.

Either way, there is a noticeable cooling of support for Sinodinos’ return. And there is other fallout too, such as the related decision this week to suspend imminent legislation undoing Labor’s Future of Financial Advice reforms. The FoFA law had ended the lucrative practice of financial advisers taking hidden commissions associated with particular investment products. It also required advisers selling such products to act in the interests of consumers. The suspension of the rollback was a bad look if only because it felt messy and fuelled the appearance that there may have been a conflict of interest in Sinodinos’s championing of the bank-friendly change given his past role as an NAB executive.

The decision to consult further was made by Finance Minister Mathias Cormann, who assumed responsibility for FoFA from his ousted colleague following pressure from the usually conservative National Seniors. Its members stand to lose vital consumer protections under the changes.

Some Liberals are critical of the consultation work done by Sinodinos, noting that even the Financial Planning Association peak body had expressed reservations about the reintroduction of commissions for general financial advice, despite complaining of a welter of new regulations since FoFA came in.

On top of these problems came Attorney-General George Brandis' ham-fisted sales job for his changes to the Racial Discrimination Act. His legally correct yet politically insane observation, that people have a right to be bigots, was an horrendous own-goal.

Then came the Prime Minister’s stunning return to old empire via the restoration of knights and dames in the Australian awards system.

One Liberal observed that not even John Howard had wanted to turn the clock that far back and right on cue, Howard himself confirmed it, telling Fairfax Media, that even conservatives would view the move as ‘‘somewhat anachronistic".

Howard used to rail against Labor’s tendency to govern for section interests.

But this week, it was the Abbott government which turned its back on mainstream opinion to pander to a couple of mouthy conservative commentators wanting to legalise hate speech, a cloister of protected banks wanting to reintroduce skimming, and a tiny cluster of 19th century monarchists.

Little wonder the Prime Minister has been ashen-faced in parliament this week.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/tony-abbotts-prebudget-fortnight-of-blunders-and-stuffups-20140327-zqnkm.html#ixzz2xCDgRrj0

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #2139 on: March 29, 2014, 09:02:06 PM »

Just read this one and make up your own minds.

PM makes us nation without honour

March 29, 2014 - 12:11AM

Martin Flanagan
Sports Writer for The Age

Who is Tony Abbott? Do we know him? I would not ask these questions, for example, of John Howard. His family was very much fashioned by World War I – both his father and grandfather enlisting (one incredible story has them meeting up, on the battlefield, a few hours before the lethal hostilities resumed). John Winston Howard, born in 1939, got his middle name from Winston Churchill. John Howard is what was once known as an Australian Briton.

Born in England, Abbott is a Catholic monarchist – a curious combination. One of his close friends, the late Christopher Pearson, used to hear the Mass in Latin. For a time, I likened Abbott to Guy Crouchback, a character from the pen of the English Catholic novelist Evelyn Waugh, a man with a reactionary and religious bent – hence Abbott's spell in the seminary as a young man.

But how do you square Catholic theology with wealthy Australia offloading its asylum-seeker problem to impoverished countries such as Papua New Guinea and Nauru? Cambodia? I'm sure one Catholic who wouldn't buy it is Pope Francis.

I always thought Abbott shared, with Julia Gillard, an awkwardness with Australian culture that was expressed, in Gillard's case, through her exaggerated accent, and, in Abbott's case, through the countless interviews he gave as opposition leader in his budgie smugglers.

When Rupert Murdoch tweeted his endorsement of Abbott before the last federal election, he described him as a conviction politician. Is he? By his own account, Abbott nearly joined the Labor Party and, prior to him becoming Prime Minister, I always understood him to be a DLP type. Not any more.

The DLP has always been clear about what it deems to be moral issues – for example, West Papua. Last year, Abbott described the actions of three West Papuans who climbed the wall into the Australian embassy in Bali to protest about the plight of their people as grandstanding. He then declared that conditions in West Papua were improving. DLP senator John Madigan flatly told him he was wrong.

In 2011, journalist John Van Tiggelen wrote an extended profile on Andrew Bolt after the case in which Bolt was found guilty under the Racial Discrimination Act. I saw that case up close through the eyes of a friend, Anita Heiss. Irrespective of the argument about that particular legislation, Bolt's treatment of Heiss was journalistically indefensible and caused deep and repeated hurt. I saw that as clearly as I've seen injuries on the football field.

In the aftermath of the case, Bolt was apparently thinking of stepping away from the media when a "very influential person" (Bolt's words) arrived at his house and urged him to keep going. Van Tiggelen established the very influential visitor was Abbott.

Abbott's government is now seeking to alter the Racial Discrimination Act. As has been observed elsewhere, the government's original proposal would have meant that indigenous AFL star Adam Goodes could be called an ape everywhere in Australia but on the football field. Then, this week, Abbott reintroduced knights and dames and, like Henry VIII, the decision was his alone.

The Anzac legend becomes more distorted and hyperbolic every year, but there are elements of the story that are important to me. One is that Australian soldiers wouldn't salute the English officers. Why should they? Respect does not come with titles – respect is earned. That belief, as much as any, defines me as an Australian.

Now Tony Abbott has reinstated a vain and empty honours system from another time and place. The country, which is outsourcing its asylum-seeker problem to its poorer neighbours, has just reinstituted an order of knights and dames in its society. Where is our self-respect?

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/pm-makes-us-nation-without-honour-20140328-35ory.html#ixzz2xLNrTXUh

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2140 on: March 31, 2014, 05:36:49 PM »
English catholic monarchist = massive flog

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2141 on: March 31, 2014, 08:47:11 PM »
true, and its ok to be bigoted against those pommy catholic monarchist scum  :birthday
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2142 on: March 31, 2014, 09:30:45 PM »
What would Geez do tony?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2143 on: March 31, 2014, 10:48:45 PM »
same as superman, just in a different outfit
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2144 on: April 01, 2014, 03:39:32 AM »
This is all eerily similar to the Fraser years.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd