Author Topic: Herald-Sun reminds everyone of our 2005 draft  (Read 5572 times)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: Herald-Sun reminds everyone of our 2005 draft
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 07:54:10 PM »
4.2 in his first game.
Not sure how anyone knew he was a spud after one game.  ???
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 08:07:52 PM »
You'd think most people would be a bit impressed if a first year player kicked 4.2 in his 1st outing. I remember reading an article on Lounder once. His old coach wasn't sure if he was good enough to get drafted at all let alone be the first choice  ???

Cleve could have been a good forward if he worked harder and had a bit of grunt. Had nice hands and his kicking was brilliant at times. Oh well, WGAF anyway. He's long gawn now. West Coast seem to think JON has something to offer  :o

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 08:24:57 PM »
4.2 in his first game.
Not sure how anyone knew he was a spud after one game.  ???

Maybe the fact he weighed 116 kgs.

to be honest i barely remember him i was only about 12 but surely he was too big for AFL football.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 09:30:06 PM »
Cleve could have been a good forward if he worked harder and had a bit of grunt. Had nice hands and his kicking was brilliant at times. Oh well, WGAF anyway. He's long gawn now.

Didn't Hughes go to Southport in the hope of getting drafted by GC?
The guy was as soft as they come. Good riddance.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 09:45:17 PM »
Something like that man. They went with Ablett at GC instead :lol Cleve is probably better than him ;D

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2011, 10:44:04 PM »
I heard they didn't even have anyone to check to see if JON was any good. They just heard a rumour and went for it how stupid. Those morons set the club back 10 years. 
The club that keeps giving.

the claw

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 12:35:25 AM »
I heard they didn't even have anyone to check to see if JON was any good. They just heard a rumour and went for it how stupid. Those morons set the club back 10 years. 
they who are they. oh thats right francis jackson and greg miller. cant be millers fault its common knowledge he argued for varcoe on draft day.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 07:58:18 AM »
they who are they. oh thats right francis jackson and greg miller. cant be millers fault its common knowledge he argued for varcoe on draft day.

So it must be Francis Jackson's fault then?  The man who was a part time scout during 2005 and not appointed to the position of Recruiting Manager until Feb 2006.  Yep, some blind ignorant prejudice right there.   :banghead

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 05:14:17 PM »
Wallace (with the twitter name "thelistmanager" lol ??? ) was on SEN earlier this arvo. Basically said he was at three clubs in his time in footy - Hawthorn got their list management 100% spot on and won many flags in the 80s, at the Bulldogs the list management was almost there and we just fell short, and at the Richmond the list management went horribly wrong.

"Hope RFC can get it right with new facilities and B Gale back on board as CEO. 11 of last 12 RFC coaches never coached again."

http://twitter.com/thelistmanager

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 07:23:26 PM »
Paying attention to the last sentence in the quote about 11 of the last 12 not coaching again, it appears that we've got our coach selection just as bad as our list selection

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 07:49:11 PM »
Funny Wallet. :lol

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 09:07:41 PM »

So it must be Francis Jackson's fault then?  The man who was a part time scout during 2005 and not appointed to the position of Recruiting Manager until Feb 2006.  Yep, some blind ignorant prejudice right there.   :banghead
JON was Francis Jackson's pick, I don't know how many times I have to repeat this. He was a part time talent scout for us in 2005 and he was specifically allocated to Western Australia. He came on board full time at the club right before the 2005 draft, however JON was 100% his selection and the rumour that we only saw video highlights of him is complete bullsh!t

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 10:28:45 PM »

So it must be Francis Jackson's fault then?  The man who was a part time scout during 2005 and not appointed to the position of Recruiting Manager until Feb 2006.  Yep, some blind ignorant prejudice right there.   :banghead
JON was Francis Jackson's pick, I don't know how many times I have to repeat this. He was a part time talent scout for us in 2005 and he was specifically allocated to Western Australia. He came on board full time at the club right before the 2005 draft, however JON was 100% his selection and the rumour that we only saw video highlights of him is complete bullpoo

Pick or no pick Infamy, a part time scout does not get the final or even primary say at the draft table in anyone's world, especially during the autocratic regime of Miller/Wallace.

And it was announced by the club on Feb 24th 2006 that he would be taking up the full time role from Apr 1st 2006.  How do you say he was full time during 2005?

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 11:03:32 PM »
Take away all the blame you like, the FACTS are that FJ was in charge of WA that year and JON was his pick.
Given the reduced recruiting resouces we had that year it's not that much of a stretch to suggest that he had a fair amount of pull regarding the decision to pick him.
FJ even joked during the pre-draft night for supporters than if JON became a player then it was his selection, if he failed then it was Millers.

Don't get me wrong, clearly FJ's work since then has been outstanding, however blaming Miller for all the bad picks is the easy (and wrong) way out.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 07:44:48 AM »
Take away all the blame you like, the FACTS are that FJ was in charge of WA that year and JON was his pick.
Given the reduced recruiting resouces we had that year it's not that much of a stretch to suggest that he had a fair amount of pull regarding the decision to pick him.
FJ even joked during the pre-draft night for supporters than if JON became a player then it was his selection, if he failed then it was Millers.

Don't get me wrong, clearly FJ's work since then has been outstanding, however blaming Miller for all the bad picks is the easy (and wrong) way out.

Fair enough, but I will still dispute that either or both of Miller and Wallace weren't also responsible.  Jackson might have identified JON as a likely choice but the decision to recruit him would not have been Jackson's alone.