Author Topic: Our poor first quarters  (Read 6500 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Our poor first quarters
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2011, 05:27:01 PM »
Matty White was asked today about our poor first quarters....

The one issue for Richmond is its slow starts this season - a factor that cost it any real chance against the Bullddogs last weekend.

''We addressed it after the game. I think we went down by 35 points and we were down that far in the first quarter. So we're addressing eveything so we go from the very first bounce and we're not playing catch-up footy for three quarters after that,'' White said.

''We're trying to put a finger on it, its a work in progress at ther moment. We've shown glimpses - against Brisbane and Fremantle were were fairly close at quarter-time and we were able to get over the line there.

''I think its just a mindset thing.''

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-welcome-big-stage-test/story-e6frf9jf-1226058287968

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2011, 05:51:03 PM »
Could it be the way that they warm up? ie: not enough running.

Offline dizza

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2011, 06:27:51 PM »
We might have been close against Freo at Quarter Time, but that was only because their kicking was atrocious. We have not had one good first quarter this season.
Push up!

TigerTimeII

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2011, 07:56:24 PM »
We might have been close against Freo at Quarter Time, but that was only because their kicking was atrocious. We have not had one good first quarter this season.

thats bs

many points were from rushed behinds
and many shots at goal were from tight angles

i dont buy that crap

tony_montana

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2011, 11:30:33 PM »
Its obviously got something to do with the pre game routine - it sux arse

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2011, 11:46:20 PM »
No point us guessing what it is, they don't even know why we start off so slow. Not much point saying we win the 3rd qtr if we lose the game either. We have only finished a first qtr level with Freo this year 20 points a piece. Other than that we have lost every first qtr.

We let them opposition get that 4-6 goal break and they maintain that all game...it's starting to annoy the pee out of me.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline dizza

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2011, 11:56:07 PM »

thats bs

many points were from rushed behinds
and many shots at goal were from tight angles

i dont buy that crap

"Many" shots? Try one. Mayne's shot from 50 near the boundary is the only shot that can really be described as from a tight angle. 4 of their 8 behinds SHOULD have been goals (Pavilich, Mayne's 2nd kick after the clanger kick-in from his first shot, Van Berlo and Hill should have converted at least 2 of those 4 shots into goals), and Freo were dictating the game in their own half for the vast majority of the quarter. Whilst we were efficient, the majority of our scoring shots in that quarter came on the counter-attack, as opposed to the rest of the game where we very much played the game on our terms.

Call it "bs" and "crap" if you like, but Freo had the chance to give themselves a 3-4 goal buffer, especially given the amount of time the ball was in their half of the ground, and fortunately for us they squandered that. Take nothing away from our performance in the rest of the game, the boys were simply superb, but our first quarter was nowhere near the standard of the rest of the game.
Push up!

gerkin greg

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2011, 11:19:25 AM »
I don't buy it either. They kick 1 one of those goals and the ball goes back to the centre. They only got those shots on goal because we couldn't get it out from the kick in. As soon as they did kick a goal we got it out of the centre and kicked one.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2011, 11:26:51 PM »
After 13 rounds it's still happening  :-\. We were fortunate tonight we were playing the bottom side and we could play catch up after giving them a 20 minute and 4 goal start.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2011, 11:48:01 PM »
The players are being re-active rather than pro-active. They seem to be waiting to see how the opposition are going to go about things so they can adjust and orientate themselves in the game then once orientated they start to move forward. They need to go out and dictate things themselves from the get go and not wait to react to what is happening to them.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2011, 01:30:04 AM »
Would have helped tonight if it was 22 vs 22, not 25 vs 22.  First quarter umpiring was an absolute disgraceful exhibition of home team bias.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2011, 02:01:04 AM »
The players are being re-active rather than pro-active. They seem to be waiting to see how the opposition are going to go about things so they can adjust and orientate themselves in the game then once orientated they start to move forward. They need to go out and dictate things themselves from the get go and not wait to react to what is happening to them.
Hard to disagree with that RR. That sort of reactive mentally probably also shows up in us getting to a 3 goal lead and then switching off again turning the game into a narrow-margin scrap rather than being pro-active and going for the throat to put the game away
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2011, 07:50:18 AM »
i thought is was only the first half of the quater brisbane were on top. we finished the quarter off well and had one more scoring shot than brissy. also would have looked better if the first three scores were all goals, as they should have been
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2011, 09:17:21 AM »
i thought is was only the first half of the quater brisbane were on top. we finished the quarter off well and had one more scoring shot than brissy. also would have looked better if the first three scores were all goals, as they should have been

Dead right Al, we controlled the game from midway through the first quarter onwards.

Tigermonk

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2011, 10:16:07 AM »
yep watching the first half of the 1st quarter  :banghead  l was seriously ready to change the channel on the TV, it was that bad.

THE TIGERS OF OLD.

After not watching the Sydney game at all last week & yet to watch the replay, l just needed my Tiger fix & kept watching.
Reality we should have been well in front at 1/4 time.

Starts with the actions of the captain still making some critical mistakes, Set shots at goals, Rewoldt pulling his head in & playing team football & holding his lips together.

How to fix this, Kicking with Dusty this morning, & free beer for the players for kicking ass last night with Raines watching in the stands sooking   :jump