Author Topic: Broadcast Rights 2012 - 2016  (Read 4929 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Broadcast Rights 2012 - 2016
« on: April 28, 2011, 01:59:32 PM »
The AFL are going to announce the new broadcast rights for 2012 to 2016 later today.  What are your thoughts/opinions/wants etc?

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: Broadcast Rights 2012 - 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 02:17:53 PM »
I've got Pay TV on a 'cheapo deal' so even if I get hit with an extra $10 a month for a footy channel, it will be divided by 4 and will really be nothing.

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 02:24:12 PM »

How does one get a "cheapo" deal?

:thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 03:28:58 PM »
Get ready to pay more for Foxtel if you have it.

Andy D on now in the media conference (tune into SEN)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 03:56:38 PM »
A bit over the place but here is what I got....

$1.253 billion deal. $370m more in cash from the previous deal.

3 FTA TV games are live on free to air in Victoria. Saturday afternoon football which will still be on delay. Friday night game pushed back 10 mins; Saturday arvo starts at 1.45pm, Sat night at 7.15pm and Sunday pushed back to 3.15pm.

Friday night live in Melb, a 30-minute delay in SA and two hours in WA. Seven also has the right to go live in WA and SA, and it’s expected they will do so on Seven Mate by year three of the agreement to coincide with the analogue switch off.

All Finals will be on FTA TV.

All 9 games each week on Foxtel will be live "uninterrupted siren to siren".

All Foxtel games in HD, Seven games to be upscaled.

NAB Cup exclusive to Foxtel except for the Final which will be on FTA TV.

Each state gets to see all their local sides - SA (Adel, Port), WA (Eagles, Freo), Qld (Bris, GC) and NSW (Swans, GWS).

4 games live on 7 Mate in NSW and Qld.

All 9 game live on Mobile and IPTV. You'll be able to interract when the game is on - access game stats and connect with your mates.

Stand alone footy channel "Foxsports AFL" - I think they said it'll run for the season until two after the Grand Final. It will be included in the standard sport package.

David Leckie said it's a great deal for SEVEN and AFL - "AFL is part of Seven's DNA"

Leckie not keen on Thursday or Monday night footy. Said 3 days (Fri, Sat, Sun) is long enough.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 04:13:34 PM by one-eyed »

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 04:01:28 PM »
A bit over the place but here is what I got....

All 9 games each week on Foxtel will be live "uninterrupted siren to siren".

Not sure what that means as they will taking the Ch7 feed. Ditto with regard to HD if they are taking Ch7's feed which isn't in HD how can they show it in HD

4 games live on 7 Mate in NSW.
And in QLD

Stand alone footy channel "Foxsports AFL" - I think they said it'll run for the season until two after the Grand Final. It will be included in the standard sport package.
Little Kennyimmy Williams said it would run from the pre-season to about 2 weeks after the GF

But was non committal on what impact if would have on Foxtel pricing - can't see the pricing staying the same  ;D

David Leckie said it's a great deal for SEVEN and AFL - "AFL is part of Seven's DNA"

:bow :bow
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 04:45:18 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 04:04:30 PM »
Here's a ripper from Andy D when asked about whether the deal was a record for a sport based on population

"We've never been about setting records"  :rollin :rollin

Yeah right
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 04:09:09 PM »
So Channel 7 have a monopoly on free to air football airing Friday Night, Saturday, Saturday Night and Sunday all live?

Foxtel show every game live, on Fox Footy, with Foxtel subscribers possibly paying more.

Having Foxtel for a while with the Sports Package and previously paying $10 a month for Setanta Sports (Rip off), I can't see them having an increase in price for existing customers greater than $5 a month for a Foxtel Footy Channel. However I think there will be an increase,. especially if their subscription estimate targets are met.

One question to Channel 7. With Foxtel with no ads and always consistently live, Why would someone watch a Channel 7 live game over a Foxtel live game? You never would. Very strange deal Channel 7 have agreed to.

All Foxtel users would be happy.
All Free to Air users would be happy that they don't lose any games and are guaranteed the 4 games now live.

Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 04:12:07 PM »
Foxtel taking the Channel 7 feed but no ads? No idea how that will work? Dennis and Bruce will have to comment during the Channel 7 ads for Foxtel feed?

Very weird.
Go Tigers!

Offline HKTiger

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 04:15:59 PM »
Foxtel taking the Channel 7 feed but no ads? No idea how that will work? Dennis and Bruce will have to comment during the Channel 7 ads for Foxtel feed?

Very weird.

If it works like my Internet Streaming feed you just get uncommented replays or just a feed with no comment whilst the ads are on.  Works well actually.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 04:16:49 PM »
In one of the articles leading up to this it was said that when foxtel took a ch7 feed for their telecast they would also take the ads as part of the agreement.

4-5 years ago we had very good coverage of the AFL up here, probably the best in the land. it will be interesting to see how much it drops off.

One good thing about live telecasts we get is that they often are not interrupted by ads. They pump them in during the breaks. I hope that remains.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 04:22:41 PM »
So Channel 7 have a monopoly on free to air football airing Friday Night, Saturday, Saturday Night and Sunday all live?

I don't believe whether SEVEN will sub-licence a game to either TEN or NINE has been sorted out yet.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »

I don't believe whether SEVEN will sub-licence a game to either TEN or NINE has been sorted out yet.
Yeah they said that hadn't been sorted out yet but Seven can sell 1 or 2 games a week if they like
ie. They may sell the Saturday arvo and Sunday games and just keep the Friday & Saturday night games.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 04:34:54 PM »
I believe this is how the 9 games will work into a weekend......

Match 1: Friday night 7.50pm EST, 8.40pm EST when played in WA or SA (SEVEN live eastern states, on delay in SA/WA but same starting time on tv)
Match 2: Saturday afternoon, 1.45pm EST (On delay on SEVEN at 3.15pm so it runs into their news)
Match 3: Saturday afternoon, 2.10pm EST (FOX)
Match 4: Saturday twilight, 4.10pm - 5.40pm EST (FOX)
Match 5: Saturday night, 7.10pm - 7.40pm EST (SEVEN live)
Match 6: Saturday night, 7.10pm - 7.40pm EST (FOX)
Match 7: Sunday early, 1.10pm EST (FOX)
Match 8: Sunday afternoon, 3.15pm EST (SEVEN live so it runs into their news)
Match 9: Sunday twilight, 4.40pm EST (FOX)

gerkin greg

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 04:39:51 PM »

Very weird.

That's what happens now when watching Ch518 or watching a replay on FoxSports.
7 & 10 don't stop commentating during their ad breaks and when you watch it back on Fox you get the bits you don't hear on FTA.
Been doing it for years.