Author Topic: Opposition coaches now have to choose who to tag in our midfield  (Read 3867 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
We now have some quality options in our midfield that opposition coaches can't shut them all down. If they tag Cotch heavily then they risk Dusty cutting loose  :thumbsup.

Tiger Dusty enjoys free reign

May 01, 2011 9:47AM

DUSTY'S DREAM

ANDREW Raines is the latest addition to the "Libba" files.

Just like the 1990 Brownlow Medallist Tony Liberatore was urged to change his job description in '97, Raines has clearly been told to re-invent himself to save his career.

At Richmond, Raines was a rebounding run-and-carry defender and he signed a generous three-year deal to do the same role at Brisbane.

In year two of his Lions adventure, Raines finds himself as the No.1 tagger and has played on the likes of Nick Dal Santo and Aaron Davey with success. Finally, he is repaying Michael Voss' faith.

So Voss was faced with a question entering last night's clash with Richmond: Does Rainsey go to Trent Cotchin or Dustin Martin?

Before the game, Martin seemed odds-on to cop the heavy tag.

When a second-year player receives so much positive press hardened, mean coaches invaribly try to make his life hell the following week.

You'd bump him, crunch him, manhandle him ... pinch him Craig Kelly style if need be. DO ANYTHING to shut the kid down!

But Raines went to Cotchin and there was no traditional tag on on Martin.

Clearly mindful of not being too defensive in the midfield, Voss allowed the Martin match-ups to be a revolving door.  According to Champion Data, he had nine different opponents.

Enjoying the freedom, Martin had 14 disposals in the first term and finished with 34 _ including eight inside 50 entries. Cotchin was restricted to 21 by Raines, but Martin delivered the killer blow.

He was involved in 10 of Richmond's scoring chains and had a direct hand in five score assists. Thursday's back page lead in the Herald Sun, outlining his ability to impact the scoreboard, was no beat-up.

Yet nobody in a Lions jumper really bothered to remind him our tough the AFL caper is. They were too kind.

A heavy tag, or at least a determined, brutal attempt to stop the Martin juggernaut, is surely coming next week.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/dusty-enjoys-free-reign/story-e6frf9jf-1226047742276

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Opposition coaches now have to choose who to tag in our midfield
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 01:29:03 PM »
Go Tigers!

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 03:57:53 PM »
I hope they do tag Martin instead of Cotchin and watch Cotchin destroy Fremantle. As much as I love Dusty, Cotchin is a smarter and cleaner operator. Similarly, if Foley has another cause of Leather Poisoning it will hurt Fremantle considerably. As long as all our midfielders continue to improve and hurt teams when they are not tagged then coaches will be struggling to know what to do.

Now we just need Conca to have a break out game...may be expecting a little too much already but I can dream can't I?!  :cheers

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 04:02:51 PM »
cotch was held to a degree , i didnt realise it was raines on him
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 04:39:15 PM »
I hope they do tag Martin instead of Cotchin and watch Cotchin destroy Fremantle. As much as I love Dusty, Cotchin is a smarter and cleaner operator. Similarly, if Foley has another cause of Leather Poisoning it will hurt Fremantle considerably. As long as all our midfielders continue to improve and hurt teams when they are not tagged then coaches will be struggling to know what to do.

Now we just need Conca to have a break out game...may be expecting a little too much already but I can dream can't I?!  :cheers

Won't be long Stripes but then again, he might not even have a 'break out' game.  The improvement he's shown over the first 5 rounds has been steady and impressive.  It might just be a case of one day the opposition looks at us and realises that Conca is doing just as much damage as anyone.  He's going to be every bit as good as those 2.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 04:57:20 PM »
:yep
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 05:22:29 PM »

Won't be long Stripes but then again, he might not even have a 'break out' game.  The improvement he's shown over the first 5 rounds has been steady and impressive.  It might just be a case of one day the opposition looks at us and realises that Conca is doing just as much damage as anyone.  He's going to be every bit as good as those 2.
Agreed, doing well for 6 games in, and will improve with experience obviously  :)
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 05:59:47 PM »
I hope they do tag Martin instead of Cotchin and watch Cotchin destroy Fremantle. As much as I love Dusty, Cotchin is a smarter and cleaner operator.

Disagree with this. Dustin cocks up the odd kick but when they come off, they are very damaging. I would rather have him running free, than Cotch. He opens the opposition right up. He is also a very smart footballer - akin to Cotch in this respect, I reckon.

Cotch makes mistakes too. Martin is the better finisher in front of goals.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 06:11:58 PM »
I hope they do tag Martin instead of Cotchin and watch Cotchin destroy Fremantle. As much as I love Dusty, Cotchin is a smarter and cleaner operator.

Disagree with this. Dustin cocks up the odd kick but when they come off, they are very damaging. I would rather have him running free, than Cotch. He opens the opposition right up. He is also a very smart footballer - akin to Cotch in this respect, I reckon.

Cotch makes mistakes too. Martin is the better finisher in front of goals.

Cotch doesn't have the save flashes of blood Dusty has at this stage. A few of Dusty's decisions last night were interesting lets say. This is to be expected coming from a 19 year old but Cotch has a bigger engine this year (Boy that's nice to say at last!) and is great at bringing others into the play. Dust has a more penetrating kick but really, it's great just to be able to have at least two young midfield guns that none of us are 100% certain which is better atm  :thumbsup

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 06:13:16 PM »
I agree with Willy but Lids needs to spend more time as a mid because he can do it every bit as well
As the other 2. He kicked 30 goals - give or take a couple - a few years ago and with Foley, cotch and dusty gives us a very explosive mid field
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 06:14:19 PM »
my oath, Stripes.
our midfield will be brutal in a couple of years.

tony_montana

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 12:12:30 AM »
Foley Grigg and Conca thats 3 quality inclusions into our midfield rotation from last year - add Houli's run out of the backline and thats 4 runners we didnt have last year - geez big difference!.... Now we need a few more to stand up and join that group to make us scary for some teams - looking squarely at MM(pull the finger out son!) and if Dea or someone can slot in the backline and do the job down back you can add Lids to the midfield rotation -  we'll be a-grade then.

:thumbsup

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 12:30:53 AM »
cotch was held to a degree , i didnt realise it was raines on him
He still had 24 disposals and 8 clearances so while not a dominating display, he still did a fair bit

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 10:11:37 PM »
Ashes to Ashes
Dust to Dust
If Dusty don't get ya
then Cotchy must

:thumbsup
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd