Author Topic: The Tiger revival (Wallace on the afl website)  (Read 2482 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The Tiger revival (Wallace on the afl website)
« on: May 23, 2011, 05:12:36 PM »
The Tiger revival
By Terry Wallace
4:44 PM Mon 23 May, 2011

Most Tigers supporters have suffered through decades of pain watching their team, once the 'king of the jungle', fade into obscurity. That is, until now.

Finally there is some light at the end of what has been a long tunnel, and the Richmond faithful are once again enjoying going to the footy to watch some genuine home grown stars.

When I arrived at Richmond as coach in October 2004, I was roundly criticised both inside and outside the club for publicly discussing the club's mishandling of list management over the previous decade.

My comments weren't aimed at any one individual within the club, rather they were exposing a system that was still operating in a past generation, one that did not understood the value of list management and in particular the national draft.

Giving away first round draft picks is giving away your future and the Tigers had done it time and time again. Players such as Craig Bidiscombe, Greg Stafford, Kane Johnson and Nathan Brown were traded for by Richmond, but without any real plan for the future.

Because of this, the club had lost a generation of of young players with only Chris Newman remaining as a draftee from that time.

At board level a decision was made that no individual had the power to trade first round draft picks in the future. This was the best football decision the club had made in some time despite some subsequent errors at the draft table.

It was time for the Tigers to start developing it's own future stars rather than trying to entice ready-made players to Punt Road from other clubs.

Last Saturday night I was pleased for all Tiger fans that they had an exciting and vibrant young team on display, one which shows signs of a bright future.

In that line up there were no less than 7 first round draft picks,(Deledio, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Rance, Vickery, Martin and Conca) and in this group are four absolute stars of the game, a presence the club hasn’t had since it's premiership years.

I am not yet suggesting how far this group can take the club but I am letting Tiger fans know that they are in for a much more enjoyable ride.

I have a giggle to myself when I think back to the scepticism of journalists like Caroline Wilson and Tony Jones when I showed them a presentation outlining a plan that would see the club in a position, age wise, to have a decade of sustained success by 2011!

When you now look at the ages of the Tigers' key play makers, they are now capable of impacting games.

29 YEARS - Chris Newman
27 YEARS - Jake King
25 YEARS - Nathan Foley, Daniel Jackson
24 YEARS - Brett Deledio, Angus Graham, Luke McGuane and Matthew White
23 YEARS - Shaun Grigg, Bachar Houli, Robin Nahas
22 YEARS - Daniel Connors, Shane Edwards and Jack Riewoldt
21 YEARS - Trent Cotchin, Ben Nason and Alex Rance
20 YEARS - Andrew Browne, Tyrone Vickery

So many positive changes have been made, the club is now training in a new facility that is comparable with the best in the competition and has increased it's football department spending.

Once the large contracts signed by the previous generation of senior players were dispensed with, the club put these funds into recruiting, list management, development and strategy.

Recruiting picked up once the club could afford to put resources into this area by bringing Francis Jackson and Craig Cameron to the club. Now they also have a full-time List Manager in Blair Hartley who specifically targeted Bachar Houli and Shaun Grigg over the offseason.

From the outside it is also evident that the Coach and the club's decision makers have targeted two types of players to be in the line up. The first type are kickers, the second, competitors. Over the last few years anyone who couldn't kick or was inconsistent in their attack on the ball has either been moved on or is playing in the VFL.

Currently the playing group is relatively injury free. The experience of playing with the same players each week assists them in their understanding of team structures and strategies.

The past generation carrying the baggage of consistent losing seasons have moved on, leaving these relatively unburdened young players as the leaders driving the club to a new successful era.

The Tigers' young coach, Damien Hardwick, is enthusiastic and hungry for success and has the total trust in his structures and strategies. This is paramount if they are to continue to rise up the ladder.

Thanks to the work done off the field by CEO Brendon Gale, the Board has stepped back and now allows the managers to manage which has helped the club row the boat in the one direction for the first time in many years.

The future finally looks bright for the Tigers.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/114575/default.aspx

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: The Tiger revival (Wallace on the afl website)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 05:31:36 PM »
Reasonable article.

Must kill Terry inside to see Hardwick do what he couldn't, and with a list 5 time younger
Go Tigers!

gerkin greg

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 06:36:59 PM »
one that did not understood the value of list management and in particular the national draft.

you not understood engrish you taiwanese knock-off man bag long time in the sun for cheap

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 08:11:24 PM »
The Tiger revival
By Terry Wallace

I have a giggle to myself when I think back to the scepticism of journalists like Caroline Wilson and Tony Jones when I showed them a presentation outlining a plan that would see the club in a position, age wise, to have a decade of sustained success by 2011!

You absolute planker

the quote just typifies wallet to a tee. Absolute dreamer who overates his ability. List manager my a@@.

The jordan mcmahon trade was an absolute disgraxe. Karma is a bbitch wallet and you will never get a job working in the afl again.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 09:31:26 PM »
The Tiger revival
By Terry Wallace

You absolute planker

the quote just typifies wallet to a tee. Absolute dreamer who overates his ability. List manager my a@@.

The jordan mcmahon trade was an absolute disgraxe. Karma is a bbitch wallet and you will never get a job working in the afl again.

The McMahon trade was wrong from the start but sometimes  its important for the senior managers at a club or even the board to not allow something like that to happen. I firmly remember writing on these boards that the Board should VETO the move for McMahon. No one did anything. Wallace got what he wanted but deep down we all knew it was wrong but no one - I repeat NO   ONE at the club did anything to stop it.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 09:34:19 PM »
was listening to the tanned loser driving home after the game, could u believe the idiot said he hopes we succeed because he was the one who built the platform blueprint and foundation to this team and future success
what a delusional bi tch he is

Offline Tigermad20011

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 09:55:36 PM »
God he is a wanker.

Offline matrightyeh

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 10:28:27 PM »
he is a toss

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 10:34:58 PM »

people on here seem to love digging up the past, so perhaps we should dig up all the tossers on here who were saying what a good selection that Mcmahon trade was. I bet i know who 2 were. :lol

Yep great selection leather face. First rounder for a Werribee player.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 11:24:49 PM »
isn't it funny how he tried to seperate himself from the past mistakes and tried to associate himself with the present and take credit for the development of the current crop of youngsters.

He named Craig Bidiscombe, Greg Stafford, Kane Johnson and Nathan Brown as trades.  How about Jordan Mcmahon??? forgot about him??

what a tosser

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 11:57:38 PM »
Stfu Wallace.

gerkin greg

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 09:51:11 AM »
don't forget Mitch Morton

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 10:30:31 AM »
don't forget Mitch Morton

Still may come good...but I'm tending towards looking to trade him out at years end now

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 11:29:56 AM »
I'm really uncomfortable reading or hearing Wallace taking any sort of satisfaction over "his" work. Coudl there be anything more insulting to Damien Hardwick.

How many times did Wallace use excuses and blame Frawley and the past regime for putting the club into it's (then) current position.

How many times have we heard Hardwick mention Wallace's name or past decisions, even after the 0-9 start? Never.

We all know how poor the development of young players have been during Wallace's reign, details revealed that he would hardly speak to the likes of Post, Hughes etc.

Wallace made excuses and blamed previous regime, washed his hands of his mistakes, and now wanting credit when the next regime has taken over and turned the place around.

Makes you effing sick.

Is there anything that Wallace can actually claim of doing?

Hardwick and Brendon Gale have done it all.
Go Tigers!

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 01:09:32 PM »
Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda!

I agree with Popelord. For more credibility He could have written this article in Round 9 of 2010 when we were 0-9 instead of 2011 when we are 4-1-4. Back then IIRC he was far less vocal and he certainly wasn't the prophet of success that he is portraying here. In this article, he really only mentions Hardwick's name as a footnote when in actual fact, IMO Hardwick & his game plan have been instrumental in our steady improvement.

The further away we travel from his dark days as coach, the more stupid he looks in his attempts to claim ownership on the teams recent success. Lets not forget, He had 5 years, he had a 5 year plan and nothing substantial to show at the end of it. Crikey, even that Dud Frawley got us to finals.