Author Topic: Kingy Out 1 week WTF [update: tribunal appeal fails]  (Read 6037 times)

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Kingy Out 1 week WTF
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 01:22:51 PM »
Incredibly harsh - for the role he is playing = small defensive forward I'd argue he has been excellent.
Think you misunderstood me , I agree he's been excellent. Just don't think he's done enough to be AA at this stage. Still 11 rounds to go though so if he keeps his form up then he's a slim chance for AA. Also unless a player has been really outstanding the selectors often won't give AA selection until a player has a few good seasons in a row.
 And I agree , hard for a bloke playing his position to get selected for AA
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 10:01:07 PM »
The Club and Jakey have been given a 24 hour extension by the AFL. So we won't find out until 11am tomorrow whether we are challenging or not.
You would think we are going to fight it if we have asked for an extension. Organise a different tv angle and get some biomechanist and psychologist to argue Kingy was just testing what the collar of McGrath's jumper was made of and his fist accidently slipped upwards  :whistle.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 11:25:49 PM »
Ashley McGrath's head made contact with Jake King. Could we be more succint than that? On that eb=vidence he has to get off. :thumbsup

Offline dizza

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 11:34:40 PM »
The only reason he's been given 1 week is because his name is Jake King. Anyone else and the MRP wouldn't even think twice about throwing it out.
Push up!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 04:39:43 AM »
Richmond is expected to challenge in-form forward Jake King's offer of a one-match ban for striking Brisbane's Ash McGrath. The Tigers asked for an extension on their response due to a family bereavement.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/sling-tackles-not-an-issue-for-pies-jolly-20110621-1gdji.html#ixzz1PwAokaj0

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 09:26:13 AM »
The only reason he's been given 1 week is because his name is Jake King. Anyone else and the MRP wouldn't even think twice about throwing it out.

You can just imagine the MRP...

'Ok, next up is Jake King'

'Give him a week'

'Did you want to see the footage?'

'What for, it's Jake King'
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
King to challenge striking charge (afl site)
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 10:47:29 AM »
RICHMOND forward Jake King has decided to challenge his striking charge at the AFL tribunal.

King was charged with a level two striking offence for a jumper punch on Brisbane Lions player Ash McGrath during a behind-the-play scuffle in the first quarter of the Tigers' win at the Gabba on Saturday night.

The Richmond small forward faces a one week suspension if found guilty, which would rule him out of this weekend's clash with Melbourne.

The Tigers are not risking a longer suspension by taking the case to the tribunal.

The hearing will be held at 5pm AEST.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/116814/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 05:17:45 PM »
Tribunal hearing has just started. Michael Tovey QC is representing King and Andrew Tinney SC is acting on behalf of the prosecution. David Jones is chairman of the Tribunal with Richard Loveridge, Wayne Henwood and Wayne Schimmelbusch sitting members.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 05:21:40 PM »
We're calling Ash McGrath as a witness via telephone. I wonder if the old-school player code at the tribunal still exists  :whistle.

Edit: We're arguing that the vision is not clear. Trying to get the charge reduced to negligent conduct instead of reckless. Discussing legal definitions of reckless and negligent.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 05:30:59 PM »
Tinney disputing Tovey's assertions on legal meaning of reckless.

About two minutes of footage shown. Incident is 1:09 in.

Vision not conclusive say Tigers.

Medical report from Lions indicates McGrath was treated for a laceration after tooth punctured through lip skin with two stitches required.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 05:37:46 PM »
Well, it looks like he's stuffed then

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 05:43:48 PM »
McGrath & King interviewed by investigator over incident. Chairman to read out transcripts.

McGrath: Me and King were just bumping. Couple of jumper punches. One might have gone a bit high. Just punching each other back and forth. Doesn't recall which hand struck him. Let go when ball bounced. No history between pair. He's just one of those players who gets under your skin. Wanted to show him who was boss.

McGrath: Nothing else to it. Jumper punch that slipped.

King: I'm pretty sure they'd been told to be a bit difficult. I pushed him and then we grabbed on to each other. It was more of a power thing. I pushed him and then he tried to throw me down.

King: More of a power/stand over thing. They were being aggressive.

King: Wasn't trying to punch him. I've moved away from that sort of thing. I don't want to be known as a thug.

King: Blood was already on McGrath's chin when they started scuffling.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 05:45:58 PM »
McGrath about to be called.

McGrath on the phone now.

McGrath has read the charge and seen the vision.

Tigers: Vickery and King pushed you to ground? McGrath: Yep.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 05:48:43 PM »
McGrath first felt lip pain as the pair were walking backwards before he slung King. No precise recollection of exactly when it happened.

McGrath says it wasn't deliberate. Wasn't wearing mouthguard.

McGrath: wanted to show him who was boss. Became aware of bleeding after he got off the ground.

Edit:  Counsel for Tribunal asking questions now.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 05:53:22 PM »
McGrath: both pushing and pulling. Nothing more to add really. He's off the phone now.

OE: If Kingy gets off he can thank McGrath  :thumbsup