Author Topic: Dustin Martin reminds me of Leigh Matthews: Wayne Schwass (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1224 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin reminds Wayne Schwass of Hawthorn great Leigh Matthews

Jon Ralph
    June 23, 2011

TRIPLE best-and-fairest winner Wayne Schwass says Richmond's Dustin Martin could end his career with the versatility of Leigh Matthews and 500 AFL goals to his name.

Martin has kicked 21 goals this year as a midfielder pushing forward, capped by his career-high five goals against Brisbane.

North Melbourne and Sydney star Schwass says no player has reminded him more of Hawthorn great Matthews, who kicked 915 goals.

Schwass said if the 2009 national draft were re-ranked, he would take pick three Martin, then Melbourne's pick two Jack Trengove, then No.1 Tom Scully.

"I haven't seen a bloke who has reminded me of Leigh Matthews in the same way," Schwass said.

"The rider is that he has a hell of a long way to go. But Leigh was an uncompromising rover who then went forward and finished his career, and I am not saying Dustin will kick 900 goals, but I see that versatility in him. I think he could kick 400 or 500 goals. He is in his second year and knows how to kick goals, so he can play four or five years in the midfield, and then go forward with great impact."

Schwass would take Martin before Trengove and Scully because of Martin's ability to win contested ball and kick goals.

"Dustin's ability to kick goals means he has another dimension that Jack and Tom don't," he said.

Man-child Martin turns 20 on Sunday and Schwass believes he still has huge improvement in him.

"This kid could be a gun mid who also has a real upside as a much more intimidating version of Brad Johnson," Schwass said.

"If he has space in the forward 50 to do his stuff one-on-one, there aren't many who can beat him.

"Do you put your best defender on him? Not with Jack Riewoldt and Tyrone Vickery there, so with your best defender on Dustin Martin, good luck."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/dustin-martin-reminds-wayne-schwass-of-hawthorn-great-leigh-matthews/story-e6frf9jf-1226080216059

Ox

man child Martin ???

stuffing homo-erotics!

Online Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
"This kid could be a gun mid who also has a real upside as a much more intimidating version of Brad Johnson," Schwass said.

Brad Johnston was intimidating??? Did I miss something there......

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
I think that's the point, that idiot bulldog was as intimidating as a marshmallow. Dusty on the other hand ...  :thumbsup Hasn't got that stupid grin either.

Hellenic Tiger

hahahahahah Brad Johnson hahahahahahaha.
What tripe.

Ox

stuff,i missed that one.
lmao0 twit

FTR,Matthews was a dirty sniping dog

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager

What's wrong with that?
Sensational 70's and electrifying 80's would be boring DVD's without him.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com

What's wrong with that?
Sensational 70's and electrifying 80's would be boring DVD's without him.
The Neville Bruns incident damaged his reputation at the time. Lethal was nearing the end of his playing career anyway but I remember talk about opposition players warning him to not comeback for one more year in 1986 or they would make him pay every time he played.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd