Author Topic: Richmond vs Brisbane - Round 19  (Read 13735 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond vs Brisbane - Round 19
« on: July 31, 2012, 01:50:41 AM »
Moving onto this weekend's game, the Lions will be coming off the longest trek in footy from Perth (5 hr flight) and a six day break after being flogged by around 100 pts. So we're favourites with the bookies  :-\.

Anyone from OER going up to the 'Gabba for the game?

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond vs Brisbane - Round 19
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 06:17:30 AM »
Yep, up from the Gold Coast.   ;D

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 06:17:30 AM »
The wife brought our tickets yesterday.... ;D

Lets hope we can win this one, the kids haven't seen a game for years so it would be great for them.... :gotigers :gotigers :gotigers
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 07:22:06 AM »
WAT, I reckon you should sit by the boundary and encourage the boys not to go down the path of mental weakness  :shh maybe even give the lions a spray or two.

We are favourites again??  :lol what a joke. Will be lucky to win 2-3 more games if that this year.
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 07:47:38 AM »
Going to Brisbane, taking the peanuts to the game

"Yeh"  :'(

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 08:36:26 AM »
WAT, I reckon you should sit by the boundary and encourage the boys not to go down the path of mental weakness  :shh maybe even give the lions a spray or two.

We are favourites again??  :lol what a joke. Will be lucky to win 2-3 more games if that this year.

Mate I only encourage when I go to game, right to the end!! :thumbsup

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 10:34:35 AM »
The Bears will murder us.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 11:08:01 AM »
Maybe I didn't word it correctly but you know what I meant, wasn't taking the mickey  :thumbsup
Lions coming off 100 pt loss and 6 day break and we are favs. Doesn't mean anything.
Brisbane have been good up there this year and their midfied have been very handy

I will be very happy with a win up there and build some confidence coming back to melbourne
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 01:13:56 PM »
Maybe I didn't word it correctly but you know what I meant, wasn't taking the mickey  :thumbsup
Lions coming off 100 pt loss and 6 day break and we are favs. Doesn't mean anything.
Brisbane have been good up there this year and their midfied have been very handy

I will be very happy with a win up there and build some confidence coming back to melbourne

All good, I hope we can come up here and bloody belt them....that will make my night!!

"Rucks:

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 05:53:47 PM »
Where are the OERites sitting?  My crew will be in Sec 22, Row H.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 07:33:17 PM »
Ahh the good old Lions match, one of my favourite games to look forward to as I reflect on that great man Jackstar made one of his all time great call how we would regret letting Rainsey go and how he would be playing finals with the Lions.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 08:20:03 PM »
In fair Raines is the best tagger in the comp and will win the Brownlow.

I like Rainesy. has done well up there

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 08:35:51 PM »
yeah just like Usernames prediction that Tambling is playing the role Dimma asked off him and will be a great midfielder.

Il wait for that like i wait for Edwards to become the permier midfielder at Punt Road

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 08:56:22 PM »
In fair Raines is the best tagger in the comp and will win the Brownlow.

I like Rainesy. has done well up there

Gives off a nice handball out the back too!
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 11:12:24 PM »
The AFL website is tipping up by 10 pts....

Preview: Brisbane Lions v Richmond
Richmond has won the past four games against the Lions at the Gabba. Can it break its three-game losing streak on Saturday?

By Michael Whiting and Paul Daffey
31/07/2012 8:35 PM

WHERE AND WHEN: The Gabba, Saturday August 4, 7.40pm
LAST TIME: Richmond 18.17 (125) d Brisbane Lions 14.10 (94), round 13, 2011, at the Gabba

Both teams are out of the finals race and both are coming off disappointing losses, but Saturday night's Lions-Tigers match has the ingredients of a ripper. The Lions let themselves down with a 98-point thrashing from West Coast on Sunday but have had a solid past six weeks, while for the third week in a row the luckless Tigers lost by less than a kick against Carlton. Both have exciting young talent (Rich, Redden and Rockliff against Cotchin, Martin and Deledio) and both have spearheads (Brown and Riewoldt) that can tear any game apart. Just who wants to fight more with their finals chances dashed may prove the difference.

THE FOUR POINTS

Brisbane Lions

1. Last week captain Jonathan Brown said the Lions could not let their season peter out or it would carry over into 2013. Following a lacklustre win over Gold Coast and sub-par performance against West Coast, they risk doing exactly that with another poor showing against the Tigers. Brown wanted 10 wins for the season - and that must include Saturday night.

2. In both wins over the Lions last year, the Tigers midfield ran riot. Although Nathan Foley and Trent Cotchin topped the disposal tally in the 26 and 31-point victories respectively, it was Dustin Martin who cut the Lions to shreds. He had 35 touches in the first win and a game-changing 22 and five goals in the second. Watch for former Tiger Andrew Raines to run with the robust Martin, despite the silky Cotchin having a better season.

3. Midfielder Jack Redden seems to continually slip under the radar. While his young teammates Daniel Rich and Tom Rockliff steal the headlines, Redden is the midfield glue teams need week in and week out. He has averaged 25 touches a game this season and is top-10 in the League for tackles. In a badly beaten team against the Eagles, the 21-year-old excelled, with 28 disposals, and game highs in both contested possessions (17) and clearances (11).

4. The Lions have simply not given their forwards enough chances to kick winning scores in the past four weeks. Despite getting enough ball (down by an average of just 10 disposals a match against the opposition), they have gone inside 50 a paltry 45 times a match. It's hard to kick enough goals when the ball is not getting down there.

Richmond
1. Surely, Richmond can't lose four games in a row by less than a goal but then again, nothing is impossible when you're talking about the drama kings of Punt Road. After their losses to Gold Coast (two points), North Melbourne (four) and Carlton (four), the Tigers will pull out every stop possible to ensure there's no repeat against the Lions. The danger is that the Tigers' fear of further ignominy will prompt a tentative, safety-first approach when boldness is what is needed if they're to come away with a win.

2. If you live in Victoria, you'd have no idea that Richmond is not facing a bottom-dweller, as Victorians don't consider the Lions a team on level footing. But, Victorians, both teams are on seven wins. Besides geographic considerations, the Tigers are higher in estimations in southern thinking because they've been spoken of in terms of the finals whereas the Lions have never been afforded such praise. This match will provide a good guide as to whether Victorians should cast their gaze a little north sometimes.

3. Pity the poor Lions full-back. Or maybe he's in for an easy week. Richmond full-forward Jack Riewoldt failed to kick a goal against Carlton, bringing forth much comment about his frustrating ways. Commentators of no lesser standing than Mick Malthouse implored him to stop wrestling and start leading — and it seems Mick and others have a point. Riewoldt is more productive when he's sprinting out of the goalsquare rather than remaining rooted to it. He needs to find his wheels again.

4. The Gabba holds no fears for the Tigers going on their record at the ground since their first encounter with a Brisbane club, in this case the Bears, in 1993. Since then, Richmond has won eight games and the Bears/Lions have won seven. The most impressive aspect for the Tigers is that they've won the past four matches against the Lions at the Gabba: in 2005 by four points, 2006 (14 points), 2010 (19 points) and 2011 (31 points).

AFL.com.au prediction: Richmond by 10 points

www.afl.com.au/tabid/16931/Default.aspx#fixtureid=7817&tab=Preview