Author Topic: Pumas and Leopards in Victoria?  (Read 930 times)

10 FLAGS

Pumas and Leopards in Victoria?
« on: August 22, 2012, 01:24:25 PM »
Anyone believe that we have Puma's and Leapords running around the Victorian countryside?

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
Re: Pumas and Leopards in Victoria?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 01:58:02 PM »
Yep, seen one first hand on a back road between Bonnie Doon and Eildon. It was effing massive.
I had pulled over to the side of the road for a leak and was quietly going about my business when I seen something out of the corner of my eye. It crossed the road about 200 meters in front of me and paused for about 5 seconds to look back before vanishing into the bush.
I have done plenty of hunting in the Vic high country and have seen countless wild dogs, feral cats and Deer but this was like nothing I had ever seen. It was much bigger than a Wild Dog but not a whole lot smaller than a Fallow Deer doe. I pulled up at the spot I seen the thing cross but couldn't find any tracks or prints. It sent a bloody big shiver down my spine I can assure you :o
I was a skeptic before then but am now a full believe. 

True story...

dwaino

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 02:11:12 PM »
There is a similar myth in the UK and there is some good footage too. But as is often the case in cryptozoology, rather than some undiscovered species in this day and age, if you've legitimately seen something it's most likely an escaped pet or zoo animal. A minimum number of unique pairs are required to ensure generic integrity. One case for the UK 'puma' is larger ferals.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »
Locals up in North Eastern Victoria (especially around Tallangatta) having been saying for years there is a puma up there

One of those said locals was a cousin of Ma Powell - had no reason to doubt him
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »
Yeah, he's been sighted since WWII. Must be getting pretty old this puma.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 11:04:55 PM »
The big cats in Victoria myth was dismissed the other day by the Department of Sustainability of Environment. They claimed the sightings we most likely of larger feral ordinary cats.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/sorry-but-there-are-no-big-cats-out-there-20120918-263yy.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd