Author Topic: What do to with Hyde?  (Read 1784 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
What do to with Hyde?
« on: June 06, 2005, 04:39:47 PM »
3 weeks back and he's yet to find the form he had prior to his head injury. He appears to have lost that follow the gameplan to the letter attitude that made him a fav with TW early on in the year.

Before the head clash:

K   H    D    M
6   11   17   3   
11  6    17   4
17  12  29   6
13  9    22   7
10  7    17   3

Avg: 20 possessions

Since coming back:

K    H   D    M
2    2    4     2
5    3    8     1
1    6    7     3

Avg: 6 possessions

Does he need a spell at Coburg?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: What do to with Hyde?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 05:05:25 PM »
Puts him back 18 months IMO if we do. We need a strong on ball brigade and I would be saying goodbye to Tivendale well before Hyde. Maybe put Hyde on a wing/halfback where he wont be in the clinches so much and let him get his hands on some easy footy.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 07:29:20 PM »
Does he need a spell at Coburg?

IMHO - absolutely.

I wouldn't have bought him straight back in after his injury (IIRC I said that at the time). I would have given him a run at Coburg to get some confidence up.

He appears to be playing with no confidence and he seems very slow in his decision making and as a result his opponents appear to be running off him very easily.

I am a huge fan of this bloke and I hate seeing him playing like this. I want to see him hitting packs like he was prior to his injury and if going back to the Burgers to get the confidence back to be able to do those things will do that then I reckon it is worth it
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 07:44:13 PM »

I wouldn't have bought him straight back in after his injury (IIRC I said that at the time). I would have given him a run at Coburg to get some confidence up.

Hindsight's a beautiful thing isn't it. Unlike yourself WP, I wanted Hyde straight back in, I thought it would've hurt his confidence equally as much if he had to go and earn a spot in the side again, especially given the way he was injured (ie sacrificing himself for the club through extreme bravery) now it seems like he has to know what it's like to dominate a midfield again, go in and get those hard balls, get yourself 25-30 touches. Coburg is the answer for that.

I felt exactly the same way (initially) for Rory after he got in the road of Neitz. He was one of the only players that year who put his body on the line, and it was almost like he was getting punished for it by having to serve an extended period in the 2's. I thought he should've come straight back in.

Don't even get me started on how the club (Frawley)treated Dragicevic, well that's another topic, and surely someone will tell me to stop living in the past!
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 08:05:25 PM »

Don't even get me started on how the club (Frawley)treated Dragicevic, well that's another topic, and surely someone will tell me to stop living in the past!

What a tragedy that was, talent is hard enough to find and too valuable to destroy.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 05:11:06 AM »
Realistically, we should have brought him back through Coburg. Even legends like Jason Dunstall struggled for a while after coming back from head injuries. Hard to recover confidence straight away after something so scarring.

May be worth while dropping him for a week but I wouldn't be opposed to doing as Jake suggests, give him Tivendale's spot and let him earn some easy ball.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 08:34:21 AM »
. Hard to recover confidence straight away after something so scarring.

Nail - Head - Coburg until recovered.

Offline Tiv

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 09:52:45 AM »
Its all "in" his head! The outside (skull, canium) has healed.

Someone needs to "perhaps Richo" remove the helmet, head but him and show him his head is OK.

Problem solved.

Now run out there Hyde and show everyone you've still got it!!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Headgear hinders Hyde
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 09:46:53 PM »
Headgear hinders Hyde
5:58:23 PM Tue 7 June, 2005
Paul Gough
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond coach Terry Wallace admits midfielder Chris Hyde has been struggling with his protective headgear since returning from the fractured skull he suffered in round five.

Hyde, who ran fifth in the Tigers' best and fairest last year, did not drop below 17 possessions in his first five games this season before the injury and twice collected more than 20 touches in a game.

But in his three matches since returning after a three week lay-off, the normally prolific on-baller has managed possession tallies of just four, eight and seven.

Hyde has worn the protective headgear since returning to the side and is expected to continue wearing the helmet until at least the mid season break in a fortnight's time.

But Wallace expects Hyde's performances to improve once the headgear comes off.

"It's always a difficult thing when you come back from a serious injury and he has battled a bit to find his footing (since coming back)," Wallace said of Hyde on Tuesday.

Wallace said Hyde was finding his protective headgear a bit restrictive.

"He will be better suited when he gets the helmet off, he doesn't have to wear it for good and they (the medical staff) said maybe just for a six week period."

"With the type of helmet he is wearing it's very insular and can’t hear that well in it."

"The game is hard enough without wearing things that restrict you but we won’t rush him but once he takes it off he will be feeling better in himself."

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=207860

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 07:55:21 AM »
Psychological.  Once he removes the helmut (sounds like Darth Vader) he'll be good.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 05:04:59 PM »
Psychological.  Once he removes the helmut (sounds like Darth Vader) he'll be good.

Apparently Hyde's got the go ahead this week to play without the helmet. Which is great news  :thumbsup.

Bulluss

Re: What do to with Hyde?Hyde is dropped
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 05:11:42 PM »
Yeah and he will be playing for Coburg, he has been dropped

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: What do to with Hyde?Hyde is dropped
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 05:23:52 PM »
Yeah and he will be playing for Coburg, he has been dropped

Bad luck to Hyde. That was the "surprise" omission. Hope at Coburg he can regain the form and confidence he had early on in the year to take on all-comers. 

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2005, 04:59:47 PM »
Hyde played at Coburg today, without his helmet, and absolutely dominated through the midfield!

Set up a number of Coburg goals with his inside 50 kicks.

Won't be suprised if he is recalled next week, but i could live with him having 1 more game at Coburg.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2005, 05:09:15 PM »
Hydey was excellent today. Most importantly it was great to see him back running through the lines again. He made a couple of handball errors towards the end as he got tired but overall a great game. He won't have to carry the midfield in the seniors.