Author Topic: Following team rules and basic instructions  (Read 1229 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Following team rules and basic instructions
« on: June 06, 2005, 05:14:17 PM »
Apparently there were quite a few "smashing of hand sets in the box" on Saturday because we have some very dumb players who refuse to follow game plan and basic instructions. And it wasn't just the the usual suspects but so too our more talented guys.

Talking it over with friends over the weekend (most of whom don't follow the Tigers) they seemed to think it's simply a case of this being the first year all of our guys have been taught skills to the standard required at AFL level by a real coach so it will just take time for the dumbness to be eradicated. Is that the case or do we just have a plain dumb footy team? 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 03:35:40 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Following team rules and basic instructions
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 07:23:20 PM »
I think it maybe a bit of both. There has been obvious improvement in a number of players skills this season but that only covers part of the problem.

It seems to me that we have a number of players that are very very reactive to what's going on around them and are not footy smart or to put it another way they don't have "footy smarts". I have heard Wayne Carey comment a number of times that here more athletes playng footy these days than footballers he uses as an example Andy Krakouer. Carey refers to Krakouer as a footballer rather than an athlete.

The other problem we have IMO is that there are few of our blokes who really struggle when they have to play against really smart footballers; that is opponents who have "footy smarts". Pit them against opponents who are not great in the footy smart stakes and they really shine put them against a smart footballer and they struggle

Apparently there were quite a few "smashing of hand sets in the box" on Saturday because we have some very dumb players who refuse to follow game plan and basic instructions.

I heard the same thing MT ;)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 07:29:36 PM »
If I had a handset, it would've got smashed when Campbell was looking to chip it off after he marked 35m out on a slight angle. You shouldn't have to yell out 'HAVE A SHOT SON' to a bloke who has played about 300 games. If Campbell is having problems shooting at goal from there, I say 'HANG UP THE BOOTS SON' Luckiliy he kicked a goal, even after he was rightfully waved to play on by the ump.

MT, I think your mates are right. I thought Jackson stuck like glue to Matera in the 2nd half, he was just outclassed by some classical roving skill. Deledio's 2nd half was a lot better. These boys just need constant reiteration of key matters that they have developed bad habits in

One of these we were talking about a couple of weeks ago-coralling-look at Mark Graham or even Knobel, they just don't do it, they always go for the man.

I didn't see Deledio doing that 'open space' thing but it's sad to hear, that was one of the worst things that the side needed to eradicate, Leon Cameron was a champion at that. One guy who sits near me used to call him 'half-way Cameron, always half way between where the ball was kicked and where it was gonna land'
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Moi

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 07:46:51 PM »
I heard the same thing MT 

This is amazing, so did Ii lol  :rollin

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 05:28:26 AM »
Basically we have a lot of players who lack footy smarts.  :banghead Good news is that they are unlikely to be there in a couple years time  :thumbsup

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 09:37:06 PM »
Talking it over with friends over the weekend (most of whom don't follow the Tigers) they seemed to think it's simply a case of this being the first year all of our guys have been taught skills to the standard required at AFL level by a real coach so it will just take time for the dumbness to be eradicated. Is that the case or do we just have a plain dumb footy team?

Agree with WP that it’s a bit of both.  What a difference good coaching makes and I also think that confidence plays a big part and, as we’ve seen, some players just need a bit of faith shown in them and time on the ground to develop some confidence in themselves.  Then of course there will be those who, no matter the circumstances, just won’t make it.

The good thing is that those players who don’t deserve to be on the list won’t have it so easy now.  So they either improve or someone will take their place.

I think it maybe a bit of both. There has been obvious improvement in a number of players skills this season but that only covers part of the problem.

It seems to me that we have a number of players that are very very reactive to what's going on around them and are not footy smart or to put it another way they don't have "footy smarts". I have heard Wayne Carey comment a number of times that here more athletes playng footy these days than footballers he uses as an example Andy Krakouer. Carey refers to Krakouer as a footballer rather than an athlete.

I think it was also Carey who said that these athlete footballers take till their mid 20’s to develop as footballers.

Unless a player has real ability and a real commitment to play the game at this level, which club can afford to hang onto a player for that long?  The sooner Clubs recruit players for their football ability, rather than athleticism, then the better off our game will be.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 05:54:17 PM »
I also think that confidence plays a big part and, as we’ve seen, some players just need a bit of faith shown in them and time on the ground to develop some confidence in themselves.  Then of course there will be those who, no matter the circumstances, just won’t make it.

Today summed up what TS and WP were saying.

We are so much a confidence team. Look a million bucks and follow the gameplan when things are going our way but fall to pieces when things aren't. Terry needs to weed out those that give up when the going gets tough.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 06:24:25 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 06:09:34 PM »
weve been a dumb side for 10 years atleast. even in 95 when we made the finals we were a dumb side.