Author Topic: RFC Members Forum & Info Night 14/6/05  (Read 4684 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
RFC Members Forum & Info Night 14/6/05
« on: June 07, 2005, 12:12:18 PM »
Members' Forum at Wantirna Club
richmondfc.com.au
8:46:22 AM Tue 7 June, 2005

Richmond Football Club is holding a Members’ Forum at the Wantirna Club on Tuesday, June 14 starting at 7:30pm.

Club President, Clinton Casey and CEO Steven Wright will give an overview of the current position of the club followed by a short question and answer segment.

The Wantirna Club is located at 350 Stud Road, Wantirna.

For further information about the Wantirna Club, you can call them directly on 03 9801 5555 or log onto their website at www.wantirnaclub.com.au.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=insidetheclub&spg=aroundtheclubdisplay&articleid=207678.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: RFC Members Forum & Info Night 14/6/05
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 10:09:33 AM »
All or most of the Directors, plus Steve Wright and Trent Jacobs attended the meeting. Around 40 members turned out for the meeting, which is a bit different to the previous two meetings I’d been to, where it was standing room only.  One lady rightly pointed out that it should be a bit of a compliment that there were so few in attendance, because had things been not going so well the room would have been packed.

Steve Wright spoke first about the finances and mentioned that sponsorship and memberships were up.  We have an 81% retention rate of members.  However, we are looking at ways to sign up new members.

For the remainder of this season, the Club has budgeted for attendance figures similar to those of last year.

Things are pretty positive and there has been a major turn around in most areas of the Club.

Greg Miller then spoke about the footy department.  There were significant cut backs in spending in the footy department, which particularly affected the recruiting department.  However, we still have a pretty good network set up to give us feedback on talent in other states.  Since the cut backs, GM also does a lot more of the scouting himself.  Through the AFL (??), there is a lot more electronic data available (i.e. video and other stats and records) on young players around the country.

As seems to happen most years, he also said that this year’s draft, at this stage, was not going to be that deep.

At the end of this year, we are unlikely to be in a position where we can expect to pick up another 6-7 young players in the draft.  To draft a young player costs in the order of $150,000 for around 2 years.  Unless you are confident the player has a high chance of making it at the level, it is a huge risk to take a young player late in the draft.

Unlikely we can go after another Nathan Brown/Kane Johnson type this year, as we don’t have the room to do so.  Once some of our senior players’ contracts are re-negotiated and we can free up some room then we can get back into those types of trades.  Keeping in mind that we don’t really want to be giving away any early draft pick(s).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 10:45:11 AM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 10:46:00 AM »
GM was fairly confident that they had a plan and direction that could bring us sustained success and encouraged supporters to get behind the Club.  They would stick to the plan put in place and aren’t about to be dictated to or distracted by outside influences.  And was really strong in that they knew what they were doing.  Will keep members and supporters as informed as possible.  I think the message was, don’t go off the deep end if things occasionally don’t go according to plan.  As long as we stick to what we’re doing, we’ll get to where we’re going.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 01:07:17 PM »
Unlikely we can go after another Nathan Brown/Kane Johnson type this year, as we don’t have the room to do so.  Once some of our senior players’ contracts are re-negotiated and we can free up some room then we can get back into those types of trades.  Keeping in mind that we don’t really want to be giving away any early draft pick(s).

We cannot afford to trade away our early picks unless we were able to trade for a higher pick. E.g. Say we end up with pick 12 - if we could trade pick 12 and a player for another teams pick in the top 5 I'd go for that :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 04:02:34 PM »
As seems to happen most years, he also said that this year’s draft, at this stage, was not going to be that deep.

Thanks for the report on the night TS  :cheers.

Glad to hear we won't be trading away our early picks. I'm surprised Miller said we don't have the room in our TPP. I always thought this year we were well below the salary cap with a 3% rise to come next year.

All the experts said last year's draft was going to be weak after the first 5. Looks like it was a pretty good one so far. It's up to our recruiters to be smart (and hopefully smarter than the other clubs) with their choices.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 05:18:42 PM »
:thumbsup MT.

Glad to hear we won't be trading away our early picks. I'm surprised Miller said we don't have the room in our TPP. I always thought this year we were well below the salary cap with a 3% rise to come next year.

I hope I got that right MT.  But the impression I got was that there may not be as much activity at the end of the season as perhaps we would like, for various reasons (i.e. existing contracts, depth of the draft).

All the experts said last year's draft was going to be weak after the first 5. Looks like it was a pretty good one so far. It's up to our recruiters to be smart (and hopefully smarter than the other clubs) with their choices.

On this point, GM did say that they are still out there scouring various states.  Anthony Mithen added that we have one of the best recruiters of the past 20 years at RFC, so regardless of cut backs and whatever else, we can still hope to draft some good young players to the Club.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 05:31:04 PM »
I hope I got that right MT.  But the impression I got was that there may not be as much activity at the end of the season as perhaps we would like, for various reasons (i.e. existing contracts, depth of the draft).

I'm sure you're right TS  :thumbsup. Come to think of it maybe when Miller said we don't have the room he might have meant in terms of actual dollars. Technically we could go after a name but in terms of $$$ and maintaining the football department budget we can't. In any case we should be using our drafts picks to develop our own stars of the future and only use the PSD or late picks to pick up "experienced" players from other clubs.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 05:43:15 PM »
I'm sure you're right TS :thumbsup. Come to think of it maybe when Miller said we don't have the room he might have meant in terms of actual dollars. Technically we could go after a name but in terms of $$$ and maintaining the football department budget we can't.

I think that sounds more like it MT.  Trust you to sound like you went to the meeting more than me?  8)

In any case we should be using our drafts picks to develop our own stars of the future and only use the PSD or late picks to pick up "experienced" players from other clubs.

I think that will be how it will mostly work, and it was mentioned that TW wants to go down the track of developing our own players, which he stated when he first took on the role.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 05:54:02 PM »
As it was held in whoop whoop Wantirna lol too far to go. 

I think that will be how it will mostly work, and it was mentioned that TW wants to go down the track of developing our own players, which he stated when he first took on the role.

That's all we want. No quick fixes  :thumbsup

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2005, 06:09:07 PM »
As it was held in whoop whoop Wantirna lol too far to go. 

That's all we want. No quick fixes  :thumbsup

They aren't ALL bad, i mean Houlihan was a good pickup!  :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 05:21:08 AM »

LOL so was Hudson, Bidders, Fleming, Fletcher, Marsh, ....  :help

Did anyone see some of the EJ Whitten game? Daffy and Hudson were playing plus current coaches Royal and Alessio. Daffy's disposal was a precise as ever lol. On the run all clear 35 metres out from goal and kicked it out on the full :lol.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 01:42:02 PM »

LOL so was Hudson, Bidders, Fleming, Fletcher, Marsh, ....  :help

Did anyone see some of the EJ Whitten game? Daffy and Hudson were playing plus current coaches Royal and Alessio. Daffy's disposal was a precise as ever lol. On the run all clear 35 metres out from goal and kicked it out on the full :lol.

I was always a Fleming fan, too bad he wasn't that skilled and was 27!  :'(

Yes i did see that, brung back "fond" memories of the Daffy days!

Though i must admit, i wouldn't mind seeing Royal break out the gear for saturday night, atleast he can kick goals!   :rollin

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 03:13:28 PM »
LOL Old and with no skill is an affliction suffered by many a Tiger player over the past 25 years. Fleming is still running around in the SANFL for South Adelaide along with Clay Sampson. Just pure skill there in that team  :rollin

Chocco showed class never leaves you even when you slow down with age. Yeah run him off the bench  ;D

And not forgetting Spud demonstrating once again his oblivious to what's going on coaching technique lol. 

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 03:20:13 PM »
my info is that we are currently at 94% of the salary cap. We are well under. The only reason we wont go after a player is to ensure budgets are maintained- the tigers will record a profit this year but we are no means out of the woods yet. stick to the draft. i also agree that we will try and offload our 1st round pick and a player to move higher up the draft order in round 1.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 03:47:22 PM »
Tivs + our 1st round pick (low teen pick) for one of the Blues 1st round picks (top 5) + their 2nd (high teen) round pick ;)

my info is that we are currently at 94% of the salary cap. We are well under.

That's what I've heard RT and that's with Richo not included as a veteran. We have stacks of room to play with.