Author Topic: Depth is our problem at the moment  (Read 1876 times)

Bulluss

Depth is our problem at the moment
« on: June 12, 2005, 05:54:20 PM »
After going to watch Coburg for the first time this season yesterday, it was very obvious to me that while we may have some good young kids running around for us there isnt much that can come into the team and make an impact.

The only 2 players that i think would be worth a crack are Schulz and Hyde. Hyde was always going to comeback in but other than that there isnt much else. Morrison performed well yesterday and probably deserves a crack at the seniors. Seeing that he is in his last year of his contract we may as well find out if he is up to it as i cant see us making the finals after today's performance.

It's ok to say that people like Tivas, Chaff and Hall should be dropped but we need to able to replace them with something.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Depth is our problem at the moment
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 06:09:58 PM »
Agree Bull that we don't have the depth yet. The loss of Browny, Hyde and Hartigan has hurt our midfield rotations. We can't afford to cop any major injuries as we have no ready-made replacements. It's something we will just have to put up with for the next year or two until our kids play around 50 AFL games.

Nevertheless I don't see the point of playing guys who are offering little to the team. Graham has done nothing since the Brisbane game when he shut down Jonathon Brown. Stafford is another who is taking up a spot just to sit on the bench. Rather Sarge in there now as he is the future. Even Morrison based on his Coburg form deserves a go.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 06:14:05 PM »
To be honest, Ive never been a big wrap for Shulz but he has the physical capability and strength to be a fantastic CHF/FF/CHB. Put him in the side and keep him in.

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 06:26:21 PM »
It's just so frustrating to see that Hyde will come in, but Jackson or Raines will go out...Tivva doesn't even get dragged when he is directly responsible for multiple turnovers that lead to goals.
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 06:27:48 PM »
I would rather ANYONE play instead of Tivendale, even if they sit on the bench for the entire game, atleast they won't turn it over half a dozen times!

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 06:34:29 PM »
Changes to today's team after the break

OUT: Tivendale, Meyer, Graham, Jackson

IN: Hyde, Hartigan, Schulz, Tambling

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 07:04:03 PM »

The good thing about going with your changes John is that it will add some pace to our side. We looked very slow today.

If Staff isn't 100% right he may need another rest also.

After 17 possessions Raines doesn't deserve to be dropped. Tough ask on him to play on Archer in his 300th AFL life membership game. The Roos must time these milestone games in readiness for us because they get us everytime  :scream :-\.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 07:04:34 PM »
Meyers done nothing wrong. kid deserves his spot.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 07:21:34 PM »

The good thing about going with your changes John is that it will add some pace to our side. We looked very slow today.

If Staff isn't 100% right he may need another rest also.

After 17 possessions Raines doesn't deserve to be dropped. Tough ask on him to play on Archer in his 300th AFL life membership game. The Roos must time these milestone games in readiness for us because they get us everytime  :scream :-\.

Yep we were very slow today. Mentally and physically.

You're right about Staff MT. Might leave Graham in instead or possibly bring in Pattison.

Raines done well.

Quote from: RampagingTiger

Agree he has done nothing wrong, but he should be given time to develop at an easier level. He is too small at the moment and would be better served running out whole games and getting his confidence up in the seconds. Should be spelled in and out of the firsts regularly.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 08:39:24 PM »
sometimes its important to realise the psychology of when to drop a player. dropping meyer now is no good because hes a young kid and the last thing you want is him believing its his fault, especially after a game like today. its better to wait until the side has a better performance- hopefully a win and then you can tell the kid hes being rested.

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2005, 09:58:17 PM »
I like Jackson. He has strength and plays confidently.Needs more game time.

Andrew Raines was impressive.Totally reminds me of his father. He has a future with us.

Meyer needs more game time.

I think Morrison needs another chance.

Tiv and Knobel can play out the season at Coburg .No excuse for the crap they put me through today.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2005, 11:13:59 PM »
sometimes its important to realise the psychology of when to drop a player. dropping meyer now is no good because hes a young kid and the last thing you want is him believing its his fault, especially after a game like today. its better to wait until the side has a better performance- hopefully a win and then you can tell the kid hes being rested.

Meyer was meant to go back to Coburg 3 weeks ago after our win over the Lions but he stayed in the side against the Dees when Staff didn't come up then was dropped then brought in again due to Hilton's finger after being named as only an emergency this week. I think he would know if he was sent back to Coburg next week that he's not at fault for the pathetic loss today. Certain senior players were! Let him go back to the Burgers and play a whole game as John said at an easier standard and build up his confidence. Meyer is all class; he just needs time to add some muscle and strength to play AFL consistently. He's one of the last of our worries.

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 02:39:58 AM »

Quote from: RampagingTiger

Agree he has done nothing wrong, but he should be given time to develop at an easier level. He is too small at the moment and would be better served running out whole games and getting his confidence up in the seconds. Should be spelled in and out of the firsts regularly.

Meyer looked really skinny today in front of the big boys from North. I agree with John F. he should be running full games in the 2nds at the moment, and MT is spot on to say that he is the least of our worries. Just wait til he gets some body size and some self belief at this level, he is going to be a gun.

I like Jackson. He has strength and plays confidently.Needs more game time.

I like him a lot too. He is ready made, he's got the body of a man, he's got pace and can play on talls. I wonder what he'd be like as a forward.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 12:13:14 PM »
After going to watch Coburg for the first time this season yesterday, it was very obvious to me that while we may have some good young kids running around for us there isnt much that can come into the team and make an impact.

The only 2 players that i think would be worth a crack are Schulz and Hyde. Hyde was always going to comeback in but other than that there isnt much else. Morrison performed well yesterday and probably deserves a crack at the seniors. Seeing that he is in his last year of his contract we may as well find out if he is up to it as i cant see us making the finals after today's performance.

It's ok to say that people like Tivas, Chaff and Hall should be dropped but we need to able to replace them with something.

I saw the Coburg vs Geelong match before our round 1 game this season and said then that I thought depth would sort us out.

Agree that it’s obvious to drop certain players, but who to replace them with is our problem right now.

Hartigan is another who can come back.  To me, Morrison seems too slow in body and mind.  In a better team he might go just ok, but if we’re not going well I don’t think he’ll add much, but I suppose he deserves a go first before writing him off.

Schulz also deserves a go, not just for one or two weeks coming off the bench, but a few weeks of proper game time to give him confidence.  If not then he’s better off staying at Coburg and building his confidence there.  To me, he just seems like a player who, in time, can develop into an influential player, because there’s been a few times where he’s shown real presence and made a real impact.  Only thing is it has mostly been in short bursts, apart from his effort against Brisbane last season..

Late in the Coburg game on the weekend, he seemed to add real presence in defence and looked confident in what he was doing.  If he can develop some consistency in his game I think he could be one to watch in the next couple of years.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.