Author Topic: Raines provides a bright spark (afl site)  (Read 778 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Raines provides a bright spark (afl site)
« on: June 13, 2005, 04:23:33 PM »
Raines provides a bright spark
12:30:54 PM Mon 13 June, 2005
Paul Gough
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond might have endured its most disappointing loss for the season so far against the Kangaroos on Sunday but there was one bright spot to come out of the game in the form of youngster Andrew Raines.

The son of the Tigers' 1980 premiership winning centreman Geoff fully justified his recall from the VFL - for the first time since round five - with a career-high 17 disposals during the Tigers' 29-point loss.

It was Richmond's third successive loss after winning seven of the first nine games and came despite the team having 31 more possessions than the Kangas as well as six more scoring shots.

But for Raines the match represented a big step forward in his career and there is no doubt his playing style is very reminiscent of that of his famous father's.

It was just the fifth game of Raines's career after he debuted in round 22 last year and played rounds three to five this season before returning to the VFL.

Raines said he knew early in the week he would be recalled for the clash against the Kangaroos and he relished the chance to have more game time.

"I got a bit more game time and in the first three games this year I didn't get a lot of game time but (against the Kangaroos) I did and I was able to get a bit more of the footy."

Raines senior was down from Queensland to watch Andrew in action on Sunday but Andrew said his father does not pass on much advice to him before games.

"He has seen most games this season and he came down this week and stayed at my house," Andrew said of his famous father.

"He doesn't say much before hand and just told me to go out and play but afterwards he usually has a chat to me about how I went."

But there certainly wasn't much to be critical about Raines' performance and now he is just hoping the team can soon get its season back on track.

"We got the ball inside 50 enough but we didn't convert and our ball use wasn't good," he said.

"But we can definitely turn it around, we will be shaken up by this loss and we will come out firing next week."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=208971

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Raines provides a bright spark (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 08:32:30 PM »
Raines senior was down from Queensland to watch Andrew in action on Sunday but Andrew said his father does not pass on much advice to him before games.

He certainly was - he was even at Coburg on Saturday watching young Nick was well

"He has seen most games this season and he came down this week and stayed at my house," Andrew said of his famous father.

:lol ;D Gee I'd hope you'd let your Dad stay son :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Raines provides a bright spark (afl site)
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 10:04:31 PM »
Was really impressed with one piece of play from Andrew, where he was under pressure after taking possession and got the handball away as soon as got the ball. 

The one thing I've notice about all the young players is that they generally move the ball on quickly, at every opportunity.  Just wish some of their more experienced teammates would cotton on.

Probably fair to say that all the young players that have come into the senior team this season have shown something.

They all seem to have an amount of ability and I guess it's up to each of them to make the most of the opportunity they have.

Good luck to Andrew Raines. Seems to have the right attitude to his footy, as he's come a long way in a short time, so I hope he makes it. :thumbsup  Hopefully he has a fair amount of confidence in himself, because we sure could use some players who possess that.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.