Author Topic: Changes for next week's game!  (Read 6455 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Changes for next week's game!
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2005, 05:05:04 PM »
Did TW mention that Tivva (and his errors) had a lot to do with us being so far down in the first half in the first place :banghead :banghead

Ok WP - I am getting over it...until Saturday night, probably :lol

Umpire Hendrie says keep going on Tiv - it means you are leaving him alone  :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2005, 05:39:36 PM »
Going by what TW said on WLF last night, you’d say there are two chances of Tiv being dropped this week.  None and absolutely none.

The reasons for that are partly because of depth, but mainly because he would prefer to work with Tiv to improve his game, rather than give up on him.  TW made the point that Tiv helped turned the game against WC in the second half.

Did TW mention that Tivva (and his errors) had a lot to do with us being so far down in the first half in the first place :banghead :banghead

Funnily enough, he didn't bg25, which will no doubt impress you no end. :rollin

I can see where he's coming from though.  We can bring in a young player, but it’s going to be a long season for some of them.

TW’s coached for a number of years and would know what method works best, in order to get something better out of a player.  He prefers to work with a player to help him improve, because that’s what he’s there for.  In a way I agree, because what’s dropping Tiv going to do, except knock his confidence even further.  And it’s not like we’ve had access to a coach such as TW in the past, so I don’t begrudge Tiv getting a chance.

If he were unmotivated and just didn't try, fair enough, but I don’t think that’s an issue.  If things don’t turn out, at least we won’t be left wondering.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 10:11:32 AM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2005, 05:45:03 PM »
New turf for Dome centre
2:29:03 PM Thu 16 June, 2005
Sportal for afl.com.au

Telstra Dome will replace the turf in the centre circle of the ground in time for Saturday night's match between Richmond and Adelaide.

Earlier in the week, Richmond coach Terry Wallace was critical of the state of the turf in and around the centre circle, blaming 'slipperiness' for groin injuries sustained by Tigers ruckmen Trent Knobel and Troy Simmonds against the Kangaroos last Sunday.

Telstra Dome invited the Richmond Football Club and the AFL to view the playing field on Thursday morning and gain feedback.

According to Telstra Dome management, all parties are happy with the outcome.

The centre circle turf will be replaced on Friday.

So much for Pagan saying Wallace was being precious.

What are the chances of Pagan defending TD if it wasn’t their new home ground and Carlton president Ian Collins wasn’t in charge of TD?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2005, 05:49:28 PM »
What are the chances of Pagan defending TD if it wasn’t their new home ground and Carlton president Ian Collins wasn’t in charge of TD?

Too much logic there TS  ;D  ;)

You would think anyone from the Blues let alone the coach at the minute would have a few more things to worry about than an opposition coach bagging a ground's playing surface 2 months before the sides meet again  ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2005, 12:59:19 PM »
New turf for Dome centre
 16 June, 2005
Sportal for afl.com.au

Telstra Dome will replace the turf in the centre circle of the ground in time for Saturday night's match between Richmond and Adelaide.

Telstra Dome’s operations manager, Andrew Travis said arena management reviewed the centre circle on Thursday morning following Wednesday night’s EJ Whitten Legends Match.

"The match took its toll on the area and we felt it would be best to replace the turf to ensure we deliver the best playing surface for Saturday’s round 13 clash," said Travis.

"The verti draining procedure we used on Tuesday had been effective reducing excess moisture in the area, but the mid week encounter had taken it’s toll on the circle."

Earlier in the week, Richmond coach Terry Wallace was critical of the state of the turf in and around the centre circle, blaming 'slipperiness' for groin injuries sustained by Tigers ruckmen Trent Knobel and Troy Simmonds against the Kangaroos last Sunday.

Telstra Dome invited the Richmond Football Club and the AFL to view the playing field on Thursday morning and gain feedback.

According to Telstra Dome management, all parties are happy with the outcome.

The centre circle turf will be replaced on Friday.

Wayne Schwass was on SEN this morning, I didn’t watch it, but he must’ve played in the Legends game the other night, and they asked him about the surface at TD.  He said they have a real problem there and the ground seems as though it is constantly watered.

You would think that TD management would always be looking at ways to improve the surface, but this is the 6th season the ground has been in use and the only real solution they seem to have come up with so far is to re-lay sections of the turf every other week, which doesn’t really seem to be a solution to anything, for very long.

I was wondering if they could have something like “heat lines” or “heat pipes”, which could be installed in the soil.  These lines/pipes could help dry out the soil and help alleviate the fact that the soil doesn’t dry naturally.  Not sure if I dreamed it, but does such a system exist in England, or in colder climate countries, at certain stadiums?  Although they would mostly use different surface types, similar principles could be applied to help dry the TD surface.

The other thing they could do, as well, or instead of that, is to use heat lights or some heating method to dry the surface.  I’m sure they’ve had lots of these types of suggestions, so it’s a wonder that they don’t seem to have tried anything different.

Cost comes into it I suppose, but if TD is going to be used for AFL games for the long-term then they clearly need to come up with something better than this.  As there are other stadiums around the world where they would have similar type issues, TD management could share R&D expenses with other similarly affected stadium managers, to try and find a cost-effective solution.  They can keep re-laying the turf, but it doesn’t seem to have solved anything to now.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2005, 01:39:49 PM »
I was wondering if they could have something like “heat lines” or “heat pipes”, which could be installed in the soil.  These lines/pipes could help dry out the soil and help alleviate the fact that the soil doesn’t dry naturally.  Not sure if I dreamed it, but does such a system exist in England, or in colder climate countries, at certain stadiums?  Although they would mostly use different surface types, similar principles could be applied to help dry the TD surface.

Actually not dreaming TS - the system of using"heat pipes" was used and I think is still used at the MCG. In the early 80's the then Australian Test Captain Greg Chappell constantly complained about the MCG wicket area - it was always barren, couldn't grow grass there. They installed the heating under the pitch area and it made a massive difference.

I don't know if you could use the same thing at Telstra because it's built on a a car park. I would assume that the heating would have to be a certain distance underground. I think that's one of the main problems at Telstra Dome because of whats underneath it - it they don't water it regularly then it's too hard, if they water it to much it's too soft and of course it doesn't get enough natural sunlight over the entire ground so the watering not only soaks through but some of it stays on the top of the surface making it spongee 

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2005, 01:58:03 PM »
Call me crazy, but wouldn't it just me a LOT easier to use synthetic, or some sort of "fake" grass?

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2005, 03:44:35 PM »

The other thing they could do, as well, or instead of that, is to use heat lights or some heating method to dry the surface. 

I've got some mates that might be able to help them with that!!!!!
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2005, 03:56:47 PM »
Call me crazy, but wouldn't it just me a LOT easier to use synthetic, or some sort of "fake" grass?

Wouldn't work - far too hard. Most synthetic grass (like they use in hockey or in the NFL) are laid on top of concrete with a layer of a rubbersied cushion between the concrete and and synthetic turf.

In Hockey IIRC they either play on a synthetic grass that has to have loads of water on it or a synthetic grass that has sand through it to ensure that when you and if you fall over you don't suffer burning.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2005, 05:57:00 PM »
As WP pointed out most players would suffer burns to their knees, elbows, shoulders and hands if footy was played on synthetic grass. In other sports their players don't go to ground nowhere near as much as Aussie Rules. Plus our guys have exposed bare skin.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2005, 06:32:15 PM »
Ok motion carried!  :cheers

As for team changes, my spider sense is telling me we will be stuffed for talls tomorrow night!  :'(

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2005, 08:02:25 PM »
Seems Morrison might finally get his chance at CHB tomorrow night, freeing up Ray Hall for some other duties........
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2005, 08:19:03 PM »
Biglands and Hudson vs Hall in the ruck means  :help  :-\