Author Topic: Chaffey relishing new role  (Read 1005 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Chaffey relishing new role
« on: June 16, 2005, 02:36:37 PM »
Chaffey relishing new role
12:47:31 PM Thu 16 June, 2005
Matt Burgan
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond veteran Mark Chaffey says he is relishing the opportunity to play in the midfield now that first-year Tiger coach Terry Wallace has shifted him from defence.

Chaffey, who has played 155 matches for the club since 1997, said the chance to mix it with the best in the middle of the ground had given him a new lease on his football career.

"Terry's been fantastic and he's given me a new role this year and it's been a real challenge," Chaffey said.

"I'm playing a midfield run-with role this year and getting to play on the best players in the competition and the real talented midfielders from the opposition team every week, so that's been something that I've really enjoyed doing.

"It took me a while to get used to the role earlier in the year because I've been in the backline for the past five seasons, but it's been great coming up into the midfield."

Chaffey said the overall change at the club this year was refreshing.

"It's been really exciting playing footy this year. I've really enjoyed it," Chaffey said.

"The last couple of seasons have been really difficult, playing in a lot of losing sides and it's no fun losing.

"So to be seven (wins) and five (losses)… and sitting fifth on the ladder gives us a real chance to be there around September if we're good enough in the second half of the season."

Meanwhile, Chaffey said it was important to bounce back against Adelaide at Telstra Dome this round after three consecutive losses.

"We went down to the Eagles, who are on top of the ladder by two points, in a game we could've easily won and we played some pretty good footy in the second half of that game," Chaffey said.

"Against the Kangaroos last weekend, we kicked 10.20 and had 62 inside 50s and really didn't use the ball well, and to their credit they put us under a lot of pressure with their tackling and they forced us to turn the ball over, but it was a game that we could've done a lot better in."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=209643

Ox

Re: Chaffey relishing new role
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 02:53:40 PM »
Who wants to tell him ?

Ox

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 03:00:57 PM »
Nah :rollin

Good luck to him.

This new Oxtitude is killing me but I figure,why not try something new.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 03:37:40 PM »
Chaff's been pretty good the last couple of weeks. At least now he's doing a job that benefits the side instead turning the ball over coming out of defence all the time like last year. Still I think we will only use him in this role until he is eventually replaced by our young guys Deledio, Tambling and Meyer when the achieve reach 40-50 AFL games and become regulars in our midfield.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 03:59:37 PM »
I think he just may have some trade value come the end of the season!