Author Topic: Focusing on Tiger Goals by Terry Wallace from the RFC site  (Read 1014 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Focusing on Tiger Goals by Terry Wallace from the RFC site
« on: June 16, 2005, 05:02:43 PM »
We’re focused solely on our goals!

Richmond coach Terry Wallace
richmondfc.com.au
3:26:56 PM Thu 16 June, 2005

AFL football is a calculated game. A supporter can sit on the edge of their seat, ride every bump and tackle, and be emotionally involved in the team’s wins and losses. But those who are paid either as administrators, coaches or players, must display a far more level temperament than that of the supporter.

This season has been a stark reminder to me of just how emotional the game can be. When I arrived at Punt Road as coach, the place was in disaster mode. The Club had lost 14 games in-a-row and most Richmond people saw themselves as the laughing stock of the competition. My job at this time was to try and put some pride back, not only into the team, but into all the Tiger faithful.

How long this would take was always up in the air as it really depended on the mental application of the playing group and their preparedness to take on the game style of the new coaching staff.

Off the field there were some genuine positive signs for the first time and we were all very keen to ensure that the on-field fortunes of the Club started to turn around as well. Our objectives at the start of the year were two-fold, and very clear:

1. We wanted to play competitive football. Some might say we haven’t achieved that because we’ve had some big losses in games so far this season. But by being competitive I mean that every Richmond supporter can go along to the football each week expecting their team has every chance of winning the match. Last year I had the feeling that Tiger fans were driving to the game, or walking through the turnstiles, hoping the team would not get flogged, rather than having the real and genuine belief that they could win. In every game this season we have set up a structure that has been attacking and bold enough to try to secure victory. If you are brave enough to try and win every game, there will be times when this leaves you open for a big loss. Personally, I do not want to coach in a style where I structure the team for honorable defeat. My belief is that because we have been brave enough to win, we have knocked over most of the teams in the first half of the season that we genuinely had a chance against. In trying to attack on a couple of occasions, our skill level and turnovers have created team losses. Rather than changing the structure, we simply need to continue to work to improve the skill level of the group, or replace those who cannot step up to the required levels we demand.

2. Team over the individual. When any team in this competition is taken over by the individuals within the line-up, they are destined for failure. I have always allowed and enjoyed some flamboyance within the players in my team. I will continue to do so because I truly believe that supporters love the personalities as well as the footballers. But to gain real success, you need to have each member of the group working as a unit and prepared to sacrifice their own game for the overall good of the team. Stats, media acknowledgement, leading goalkickers and Best and Fairest awards all get in the way of the team objective. I’ve watched the Tigers carefully over the past few years, and from the outside I had the belief at times that individuals were absorbing the entire team. In the 2005 season, I can honestly say that this has not been an issue for me, and if it does become one, it will be stamped out immediately. You cannot ever structure your side to protect individual players’ flaws, or structure in a manner that has the team reliant on one player.

When I look back at these two goals, I’m very comfortable leading into the mid-year break as to the team achieving its objectives so far, regardless of our win/loss ratio. Emotionally, our supporters live the highs and lows and that’s great because that’s why they pay to be members and come along weekly to support their team. Once again, as the senior coach, I am far more reserved and level about both the wins and losses along the way. I look towards our playing style, game plan and future, as well as live the day-to-day rollercoaster that is AFL football. Along with all of our supporters, I was rapt in the efforts that saw us sitting at 7-2 after nine rounds. But once again, like the Tiger fans, have been disappointed with the past three consecutive losses – in particular that lost opportunity in Round 11 against ladder leader, West Coast.

Last Sunday our style of play still saw us have the ball inside our forward 50 area on 62 occasions, which was the most in the competition for the round. Sometimes people say statistics lie, but the fact we were also able to have 30 shots for goal shows our style is right. Before the last round, we were the No. 1 team in the competition for goal conversion. Unfortunately, against the Kangaroos, we converted at a rate of 32%, while they were at 71%. This, along with a few other factors, clearly cost us a golden opportunity to get another win on the board. The fact remains that the style of play is working, but at times the execution clearly needs to be improved. We are hoping for a strong home ground performance at the Telstra Dome this Saturday night against a very competent Adelaide team. The Crows have played the ground well this season, with victories over St Kilda and Collingwood, and are coming back in an attempt to knock us off our perch. Both teams will be extremely keen to go into the break with an 8-5 record, so it should be a wonderful game.

To all Tiger supporters, please remember that our guys are working their guts out to try and improve this football club, both on and off the field. I have been enormously proud of the efforts of the group on the track, in the gym and out in the community, and they have been rewarded for their efforts so far. We’re all hoping for a strong second half of the year, but regardless of results, remember that everyone at Tigerland knows and understands the direction we are heading in the future. Let’s hope that we get some rewards in 2005 and continue to grow the Club in 2006 and beyond.

Thanks once again to everyone for their support, as there is nothing like hearing the Tiger Army roar!

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=featurestories&spg=display&articleid=209683
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Focusing on Tiger Goals by Terry Wallace from the RFC site
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 05:43:42 PM »
1. Rather than changing the structure, we simply need to continue to work to improve the skill level of the group, or replace those who cannot step up to the required levels we demand.

Amen!   :thumbsup  :bow

2. You cannot ever structure your side to protect individual players’ flaws, or structure in a manner that has the team reliant on one player.

Amen again!  :bow  No Browny = No excuses! :thumbsup 

Let's hope we get to roar on Saturday night Terry  :cheers
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 01:47:27 PM »
1. We wanted to play competitive football. Some might say we haven’t achieved that because we’ve had some big losses in games so far this season. But by being competitive I mean that every Richmond supporter can go along to the football each week expecting their team has every chance of winning the match. Last year I had the feeling that Tiger fans were driving to the game, or walking through the turnstiles, hoping the team would not get flogged, rather than having the real and genuine belief that they could win.

Actually Tezza it was worse than that for me -  last year I didn't care because I knew we'd lose. I only went to the footy to catch up with my "footy" mates - you those you know solely through the footy and you only see at the footy.

2. Team over the individual. When any team in this competition is taken over by the individuals within the line-up, they are destined for failure. I have always allowed and enjoyed some flamboyance within the players in my team. I will continue to do so because I truly believe that supporters love the personalities as well as the footballers. But to gain real success, you need to have each member of the group working as a unit and prepared to sacrifice their own game for the overall good of the team. Stats, media acknowledgement, leading goalkickers and Best and Fairest awards all get in the way of the team objective. I’ve watched the Tigers carefully over the past few years, and from the outside I had the belief at times that individuals were absorbing the entire team.

All I can say is "HELL-LAY-LOO-YA" to that. Though it is understandable in a way. When your as bas as what we were - you hang onto or promote the things that are good (and last year in particular that was few individuals) or you try to take the focus off the really really bad :-\

In the 2005 season, I can honestly say that this has not been an issue for me, and if it does become one, it will be stamped out immediately. You cannot ever structure your side to protect individual players’ flaws, or structure in a manner that has the team reliant on one player.

AKA - "kick it to Richo"  ;D

Thanks once again to everyone for their support, as there is nothing like hearing the Tiger Army roar!

And there's nothing like watching all the kids flock to the boundary after a victory to try and score one of those footys - a great part of 2005 IMHO
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 05:21:17 PM »
Wallace forgot number 3 - a coach that speaks to the club's supporters and members as adults with knowledge of the game instead of just reeling off one overused cliche after another while saying nothing.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd