Author Topic: 2014 Leadership Group  (Read 4107 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
2014 Leadership Group
« on: February 11, 2014, 11:43:26 AM »
Tigers confirm 2014 leadership group
richmondfc.com.au 
February 11, 2014 10:59 AM

Richmond has announced its playing leadership structure for the 2014, with Trent Cotchin to continue in the role of captain.

The Tigers have decided on a smaller leadership group than in previous years, with Brett Deledio reinstated as vice-captain.

Defender Troy Chaplin has been voted into the group, alongside Daniel Jackson and Ivan Maric.

Full article:
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-02-11/tigers-confirm-2014-leadership-group
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2014 Leadership Group
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 12:44:57 PM »
Grimes and Riewoldt have dropped out from last year's leadership group.

dwaino

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 12:46:31 PM »
Grimes is in the rehab leadership group with Griffiths.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 12:52:21 PM »
From the AFL website:

"Given the improved maturity of the team, we believe a five-player leadership group is a sufficient representation of the playing list," coach Damien Hardwick told the club's website.

"We are proud of the way Trent embraced the captaincy in his first year, and we're confident he will continue to be a strong leader on and off the field, along with Brett as vice-captain.

"Troy Chaplin's inclusion in the leadership group highlights the impact he has had on the group in a short period of time, and is a reflection of his strong character, and qualities as a person, which were things we identified when we recruited him to the club.

"We want to develop a culture that encourages every player on the list to be a leader in some way, and our challenge as a football club is to help them do that."

Riewoldt is set for a role slightly higher up the field this season, while Grimes is hoping for his first uninterrupted season since he was drafted.

The 22-year-old has played 26 games in four years, with persistent hamstring injuries derailing him early on and a fractured foot hampering him in 2013.

He missed last week's Australia Post Community Camp in Warnambool because of hamstring tightness, but had put together a decent pre-season before that.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-11/riewoldt-out-as-leader

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 12:56:14 PM »
This looks like one of the most competent, simplistic and experienced leadership groups we have had for a very long time.

:clapping
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 01:00:22 PM »
This looks like one of the most competent, simplistic and experienced leadership groups we have had for a very long time.

:clapping

I was about to say almost the same thing. All of them are mature leaders who will give strong direction on and off the field. Newy is the only omission that I have noted but he probably was more than happy to drop off and given that he may not play every game it was likely to be a good choice.

Amazing how quickly chappy has endeared himself to the group  :clapping

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 01:18:27 PM »
Newy is the only omission that I have noted but he probably was more than happy to drop off and given that he may not play every game it was likely to be a good choice.

Newman wasn't in the leadership group last year Stripes, stepped away from it when he gave up the captaincy

Last year's leadership group was:

Cotchin (C)
Deledio (VC)
Maric
Reiwoldt
Grimes
Jackson

This year's:

Cotchin (C)
Deledio (VC)
Maric
Chaplin
Jackson

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 02:37:22 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 02:06:06 PM »
This year's:

Cotchin (C)
Deledio (VC)
Maric
Chapin
Jackson

I've heard he does an excellent version of 'cats in the cradle'  ;D
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 02:10:46 PM »
Newy is the only omission that I have noted but he probably was more than happy to drop off and given that he may not play every game it was likely to be a good choice.

Newman wasn't in the leadership group last year Stripes, stepped away from it when he gave up the captaincy

Last year's leadership group was:

Cotchin (C)
Deledio (VC)
Maric
Reiwoldt
Grimes
Jackson

This year's:

Cotchin (C)
Deledio (VC)
Maric
Chapin
Jackson

Sorry didn't mean from the existing group but more from our general leaders. Newt remains one of our best leaders at the club unofficially but obviously has gas enough of the work that comes with the official role within the group

Online Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 02:39:29 PM »
Wonder how Jack has taken all this.  Doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would take demotion all that well.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 02:45:00 PM »
Wonder how Jack has taken all this.  Doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would take demotion all that well.

Probably sulking like a little boy. Let's face it, this guy is no leader and they've done well to exclude him from the group imo
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 04:50:51 PM »
VIDEO: Cotchin on 2014 leadership group

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2014-02-11/cotchin-on-2014-leadership-group

* It’s a great reward and it says a lot about the character he [Chaplin] is. To be voted in by your peers after only being at a football club for a year just shows the type of person he is and how much the players respect him. He’s obviously that little bit older; a similar age to Lids. It’s exciting. It shows that our list management and recruiters are bringing the right people into our football club.

* I’m very happy. It’s another responsibility that is part of my day-to-day job and the great thing is I’ve got a good group around me that are going to show a lot of support and make really good decisions for our club going forward. Last year was a massive learning year for me and this year’s going to be exactly the same. I am still young and I don’t think you can ever stop learning. Whether you’re the best leader in the competition or the worst leader, there are always areas you can improve on and that’s what I’m looking forward to doing.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 06:59:01 PM »
Dan Richardson was just interviewed on 3aw by Caro, Healy and Russell.

* If Jack has a good year onfield then we won't be talking about leadership groups.

* Don't believe we have an onfield leadership issue [Caro asked if the Elim final loss was due to a lack of enough onfield leaders]. A lot work done under Dimma regarding leadership, gameplans, etc. We still to improve in leadership as in other areas of our footy but that's no reflection on the large amount of work done so far.

* Shouldn't need the title to be a leader and he expects that to be the case with Jack. Richardson personally is old school and would just have a captain and vice-captain but the way footy is going the leadership group has become more formal.

* Believes the club and playing group are maturing. The exact number of leaders may change from one year to the next.

* Chaplin's form and his character since arriving at the Club makes him a good choice.

Caro said simply the Richmond playing group and coaches saw Chaplin as a better leader than Jack.

dwaino

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 07:19:14 PM »
Was flicking through the channels and saw channel 7 news made massive deal about this lol

gerkin greg

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 07:39:43 PM »
This year's:

Cotchin (C)
Deledio (VC)
Maric
Chapin
Jackson

I've heard he does an excellent version of 'cats in the cradle'  ;D

:lol