Author Topic: Richmond needs to give Jack Riewoldt a chance to kick goals: Robbo (H-Sun)  (Read 2598 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The Tackle: Richmond needs to give Jack Riewoldt a chance to kick goals

Mark Robinson
Herald-Sun
March 17, 2014

NOT for the first time, Richmond took a knife to a gun fight.

Maybe they were still basking in their Punt Rd hitout against Essendon, when they were dominant, because they arrived at the Gold Coast thinking it was just going to happen.

At quarter-time, the Suns led 34-19. They won the contested ball 50-36. One team came to play.

The other team was hesitant instead of being aggressive.

It proved costly. The final margin was 18 points.

The Tigers improved after quarter-time — they won the contested ball 117-107 in the final three quarters — but have concerns in all areas.

On the morning of the game, coach Damien Hardwick spoke of the need to be aggressive and defensively strong, yet the Suns kicked an alarming 12.13 from 48 forward-50 entries. The Tigers scratched around for 10.9 from a healthy 58 entries.

What are they to do with Jack Reiwoldt?

Here’s a guy who won two Coleman Medals in so-so teams, seemingly being marginalised.

Hardwick said post-match Riewoldt and Ty Vickery were “below their best”.

Maybe if Riewoldt was given the pill, he might be able to have some impact.

Stats tells us inside-50 targets for the game were Vickery (14), resting midfielders Trent Cotchin (four) and Deledio (three), and Riewoldt (three).

Just three times to Jack, which is incredible for a player of his talents.

We are led to believe that nothing happens in football by chance, so we have to assume it was a coaching directive.

It didn’t work. Matthew Warnock’s job on Riewoldt was made easier because of the lack of delivery, while Vickery kicked two on Steven May, who was outstanding.

On a weekend when the AFL competition grew up, Gold Coast, similar to an amazing Greater Western Sydney, won with substance.

In the final quarter, when the Tigers peppered the ball inside 50, the Suns absorbed the pressure at the defensive end and when they ball, they kicked goals.

From nine entries, the Suns kicked 5.2. From 21 entries, the Tigers kicked 4.2

May was terrific. He had eight spoils in the final 30 minutes and in a game in which Ablett, Swallow, O’Meara and Prestia were significant, May was as important as any of them.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/the-tackle-richmond-needs-to-give-jack-riewoldt-a-chance-to-kick-goals/story-fndv8t7m-1226856379365

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Pretty damned accurate. Jack should just be at FF and getting target 3 times per quarter, not 3 times per game.

Vickery should just prance around at half-forward if he plays at all. Was behind his man basically all night. At least Jack was leading up.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
It was very noticeable although it's hard to tell if Jack was providing options for the midfield.
The whole Tyrone thing has me stumped. We couldn't do more to set him up for success but he implodes when the pressure is on.
I wonder if he can handle it
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
On AFL360 on Friday night Robbo's "doomsday scenario" was Richmond losing to the Gold Coast. He admitted with a chuckle that he loves seeing Tiger fans getting upset. I bet the fat tosser is grinning from ear to ear now. I'd like to smash his smug face in.

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
He’s a baby.  He cracks the sulks when we say he has bad body language, he cracks it when we say he should do the one percenters a bit more.  He gives that a go for a few games, and thinks, “Wow, what a great team man I am”, but sulks when the adoring fans still don’t like him and reverts back to being pathetic again.  He sulks and carries on like a baby when he through the media enforces a media ban on himself lol.  And then wonders WTF he’s not in the leadership group.  Because you’re a stuffing baby and you need to grow up lmao.  Maybe if we just pander to him and say, “Jack, we love you” , even though I don’t, he will finally play some good footy.  He’s a sooky little brat and always will be.  Something in his genes I think  :shh

The headline says we need to give him a chance to kick goals.  He's had his chances, we're waiting patiently lmao  :rollin

Sorry, not a fan

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
Robbo is a gun CHF. Won a Bendigo Footy League 2s league B and F.

Might not be at the level of McGuane at Tweed Heads, but in the ball park.

Take notice of this article.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Carey and Watson on Talking Footy last night questioned Tiger coach Damien Hardwick’s use of Jack Riewoldt after the loss to the Gold Coast Suns. “He wears his heart on his sleeve, Jack. We saw some of the strangest kicks from him when he should have been going back and taking shots for goal,” Watson said.

Carey said: “Jack Riewoldt hasn’t handled criticism well in the media, so for Hardwick to come out and say that is a big statement.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/recap-what-you-missed-on-last-nights-afl-television-shows-headlined-by-fox-footys-afl360-and-on-the-couch/story-fndv7pj3-1226857496638?from=trendinglinks

Carey and Watson also said Jack needs to play within 40m of goal because he doesn't have the endurance and speed to lead further up the ground. Opposition defenders are able to catch up on the lead and spoil. Carey said move Jack back to FF and Vickery to CHF where he needs to work.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
Jack is a full forward. Put him at full forward , try and get him one out and then kick it to him. He'll do the rest. It ain't ****ing rocket science !
 Martin is a goal kicking midfielder. They are gold in this day and age. That's where he should be playing always.
Newman is a defender. Always has been , always will be.
Dimma and co are just being plain ****ing stupid. Outsmarting themselves to the detriment of the team.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Jack is a full forward. Put him at full forward , try and get him one out and then kick it to him. He'll do the rest. It ain't ****ing rocket science !
 Martin is a goal kicking midfielder. They are gold in this day and age. That's where he should be playing always.
Newman is a defender. Always has been , always will be.
Dimma and co are just being plain ****ing stupid. Outsmarting themselves to the detriment of the team.
Agree on all points, classic observation. Is Dimma imploding and doing a Sheedy?

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Stop trying to turn him into a robot. Let him go, kick the bloody thing to him and let him work his magic. The way we and the media have treated him has been a joke.

So what if he sooks up when others make a mistake. Jack doesn't make many mistakes and when he does let him have it. Pretty simple. Hardwick has had a mere of a pre season in my opinion. Fixing Jack and making him the main man and rubbing his ego should be a main focus. Too much pride at RFC, and for what? We haven't achieved anything in 30 years. To get the best out of Jack we need to massive his ego, bit of man management skills Dimma. Suck in your pride and get the best out of Jack, the whole footy club would be better off.
Go Tigers!

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
Yeah, let him run the show and abuse his teammates again. What is wrong with the medias treatment of him? Act that way and they will call you out on it. Apart from playing him higher up the field I don't think we've done anything wrong by the guy, have we?
Why does it all have to be about him? Last year he played good team footy for the most part. Just go back to that and let's stop whinging about everything

gerkin greg

He should be abusing them

They are poo

Take speccies, win colemans, point at poo

Go Jacky Boy Goooooooo

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
100% right robbo, this jacking around is going nowhere  :banghead

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Been saying it for ages, put jack back in goals and Dusty in the mid/forward role. Damien this could be your downfall... :banghead
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Been saying it for ages
No you havent.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018