Author Topic: "We are not thugs!" - Chaplin (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1385 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
"We are not thugs!" - Chaplin (Herald-Sun)
« on: August 04, 2014, 04:12:32 AM »
Richmond leader Troy Chaplin defends Reece Conca and Tyrone Vickery after ugly incidents
Rebecca Williams
Herald-Sun
August 04, 2014

RICHMOND defender Troy Chaplin says the Tigers are not “thugs’’, describing controversial incidents involving Ty Vickery and Reece Conca in the past two matches as isolated cases.

Conca is the second Tiger in two weeks to be facing a lengthy suspension after an undisciplined act in Saturday’s win over Greater Western Sydney at the MCG.

The midfielder was booked for striking Devon Smith in the second quarter after he clipped the young Giant with an elbow to the back of the head.

The pair had been wrestling seconds before the incident.

Conca’s hit comes the week after Vickery was handed a four-match ban from the tribunal for striking West Coast veteran Dean Cox.

Chaplin said the Tigers wanted to play tough football, but they did not want to earn a reputation as “thugs’’ on the field.

“It is a brain fade. It is disappointing from Reece,’’ Chaplin said on Channel Nine.

“He is going to have to swallow his pride and cop whatever.

“We don’t want to be seen as thugs and the last two weeks have been isolated incidents with Vickery and Reece.

“We want to play tough football, but unfortunately it doesn’t look good and we’ll see what happens.’’

Conca said he was a fair player, but admitted he got caught up in the moment.

“Obviously it wasn’t the smartest move,” Conca said.

“But it’s out of my control now, so I’ll just let it be and see what happens.

“I’d like to think I’m a fair player, but, you know, once you get across the line, it gets a bit heated.’’

The Conca incident was a low point of the Tigers’ 27-point win over the Giants — the team’s fifth-straight victory - which has kept alive the team’s faint finals hopes.

Richmond now faces a big clash against Essendon at the MCG on Friday night, with a victory ensuring the team moves within a win of the Bombers.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick was disappointed after the game at the prospect of losing another key player to suspension.

Richmond football manager Dan Richardson said the club did not want players “crossing the line’’ on the field.

“We want to play good, hard footy, but obviously crossing the line and missing games is not the way we want to be viewed or what we want to be doing as a club either,’’ Richardson said.

“It’s more coincidental than hopefully a trend, but it’s something that we have to reinforce to all our players.’’

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-leader-troy-chaplin-defends-reece-conca-and-tyrone-vickery-after-ugly-incidents/story-fndv8t7m-1227012034620

Rampstar

Re: "We are not thugs!" - Chaplin (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 09:46:10 AM »
Chaplin should be fined $5000 for making these comments. He should have said. Yes we are THUGS, AND IF ANYONE GETS IN OUR WAY THEY GONNA COP IT TOO!

tony_montana

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 11:21:15 AM »
Stop being a goody 2 shoes chaplin and stfu

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 01:50:25 PM »
He says it like it's a bad thing....knowing us we'll probably overcompensate now and become even softer.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 02:28:56 PM »
The Tackle: Reece Conca latest Tiger to likely feel wrath of Match Review Panel following Tyrone Vickery hit
Mark Robinson
Herald-Sun
August 04, 2014

“THERE’S nothing more Tigerish than a bloody Tiger,” Tommy Hafey would say.

Well, there’s nothing Tigerish about assaulting players when they don’t expect it, or when they have their backs turned.

It’s been a poor two weeks for the Richmond Football Club.

Poor. Not brave. Not tough.

Reece Conca is the latest Tiger to feel the wrath of the people and, barring a miracle, will feel the wrath of the Match Review Panel.

Last week it was Tyrone Vickery who knocked out the Bambi of the ruck division: Dean Cox. He received four weeks — and was lucky — and apologised several times. He did what he could after a despicable act and, despite some in the community believing Vickery’s apology to be stage-managed, I reckon he was sincere.

There was no apology from Conca on Sunday.

“Obviously it wasn’t the smartest move,” he said. “But it’s out of my control now, so I’ll just let it be and see what happens.

“I’d like to think I’m a fair player, but, you know, once you get across the line, it gets a bit heated.”

Surely not that heated.

Be upset, wrestle him, bump him, but don’t clock him from behind into the back of the head.

Commentator Jason Dunstall described it as “cheap”.

“That’s an absolute cheap shot ... it’s as cheap as it gets,” he said.

While coach Damien Hardwick will be supportive of his player, he must also internally address the undisciplined attitude.

Hardwick wants to play tough, edgy football, but some of his players are playing stupid, tough, edgy football.

Because of it, the Richmond brand is being hurt.

You can ask: What does it matter? But at the same time, go ask chief executive Brendon Gale if it matters.

Richmond is playing solid footy, having won five in a row, and faces Essendon on Friday night at the MCG.

Vickery is out. Conca won’t play. The Tigers will be undermanned.

For that, they can blame themselves.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/the-tackle-reece-conca-latest-tiger-to-likely-feel-wrath-of-match-review-panel-following-tyrone-vickery-hit/story-fndv7pj3-1227012372668

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 03:26:10 PM »
Slobberdown Hirdscockabit should re-write that article with the same sentiment but swap Richmond for "Essendon" and thugs for "drugs".
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 03:49:04 PM »
The biatch shouldnt have run away from Conca, worst thing you can do to a wild animal is run away, it just fuels the blood lust.

Lucky he didnt cop the elbow hammer on top of the head

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 04:13:20 PM »

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 04:21:17 PM »
Nothing but a karaoke singer is Robbo.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 04:22:29 PM »
I'd be expecting a knock in the back of the head if I ran over pulled a jumper over someones head and throw a few jumper punches, not be able to just jog off as if all is good

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 07:54:22 PM »
l like a bit a the thug stuff. brightens the pee weak game up alot from what we have to watch in this money controlled industry. Stand up & fight like a man. dont run away like the girl that GWS player was. if he was a real man,  he would have run back at Conca. but his just pee weak in the pee weak game it is today. Reese Conca  :clapping :clapping well done lad  ;D

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 08:03:47 PM »
We are the new "western bulldogs of the 90s".

Unleash the tornado

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 08:05:49 PM »
Conca would have punched him in the face if the little mummy's boy didn't run off the field.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 08:25:04 PM »
Chaplin should be fined $5000 for making these comments. He should have said. Yes we are THUGS, AND IF ANYONE GETS IN OUR WAY THEY GONNA COP IT TOO!
lol, that's about as much sense as you've made lately, I like it  :lol  :cheers
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 08:53:27 PM »