Author Topic: Letter that quashed Richmond’s bid for John Coleman emerges (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1021 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Letter that quashed Richmond’s bid for Essendon legend goalkicker John Coleman emerges

Russell Gould
    Herald Sun
    August 06, 2014 6:49PM

IT was the four-line letter that effectively killed off Richmond’s persistent but ultimately unsuccessful attempt to get Essendon goalkicking great John Coleman to the Tigers.

As the two teams prepare to do battle on Saturday night a letter has emerged — from underneath the floorboards of Coleman’s house, where he lived until his death in 1973 — that sealed the deal for him to go to the Bombers.

It was written in the pre-season of 1949, just before he committed to the Bombers, when the Tigers were circling and Coleman’s brother, Albert, was training at Punt Rd.

Coleman was the hottest thing in football. He had kicked 296 goals in 31 games for Hastings at an average of 9.55 a game and every club except Geelong and North Melbourne wanted his signature.

In his book Coleman: The Untold Story of an AFL Legend, Doug Ackerly revealed how Richmond went harder than anyone to lure the young goalkicker, then aged 20. The emergence of the letter since the book’s publication highlighted how the Tigers were trumped.

Club secretary Maurie Fleming and captain Jack Dyer watched Coleman play on several occasions and the night before the 1948 VFL semi-final they met him at the Tyabb Post Office and put 500 pounds on the table for him to sit out for one year.

Coleman had signed a “Form Four” with Essendon the year before, but had not been cleared by Hastings.

The Bombers, too, had been visiting Coleman and sent a deputation headed by captain-coach Dick Reynolds and selector Harry Hunter. They had lunch with Coleman and his parents at the Hastings naval base.

Coleman told them he would play in the first practice match of 1949 but couldn’t, although he did travel to Melbourne and was in a photo with Reynolds for The Argus and trained with the Bombers.

He was yet to be tied to any club officially, and boarding with a friend in Kew, was in Richmond’s zone, but then the zones were changed by the VFL in March, 1949.

With that avenue shut, Richmond lured Coleman’s brother Albert to Punt Rd, where he trained with the Tigers and played in a practice match for them. Coleman even ran laps with his brother at the ground.

All looked lost for the Tigers when Coleman played a practice match for Essendon and applied to Hastings for a clearance to the Bombers.

That came just after Coleman received a letter, signed by Essendon secretary Bill Cookson, that guaranteed he would play every game for the Bombers in the 1949 season.

If he wasn’t already locked in, that sealed the deal and marked the beginning of a legendary career in black and red, not yellow and black.

”COLEMAN — The Untold story of an AFL Legend” — by Doug Ackley, available now.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/letter-that-quashed-richmonds-bid-for-essendon-legend-goalkicker-john-coleman-emerges/story-e6frf3e3-1227015774952

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Who?  ;D

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
Bloody Francis Jackson does it again.  :banghead
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Who?  ;D

Just googled him.....somehow I don't think we missed much:

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Greame Richmond would of made sure he was a tiger.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
We needed fj back them, he would have got his man  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Heads must roll for this stuff up.

What has Gale and Peggy got to say about this?

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Dud delist
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

dwaino

Cool thread.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
Coleman had signed a “Form Four” with Essendon the year before, but had not been cleared by Hastings.

I think a similar thing happened with Taylor Petrenko. He signed a Form Four, this is why he couldn't use the escape clause in his contract to come to the Tigers.

I've also got a feeling that Jim Boogie has been incorrectly filling in Form Four instead of the Draft Nomination form, perhaps this is why he keeps getting overlooked.

dwaino

Wayno's source had Taylor Petrenko returning to League for big bucks didn't he? Boogie just needs quality mentoring from Troy Taylor and Liam Jurrah.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
He did go to League, but I don't think the form 4 can stop that from happening.

dwaino

Bloody hell. Just another one that slipped through the cracks  :banghead

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Bloody hell. Just another one that slipped through the cracks  :banghead

FJ's fault no doubt!