Author Topic: Hardwick's press conference - April 30 / Hardwick to make big changes (afl site)  (Read 1585 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dimma's press conference today ...

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2015-04-30/hardwick-press-conference-april-30th

----------------------------------------------------------

Hardwick to make big changes, Vickery, Chaplin likely

Peter Ryan 
afl.com.au
April 30, 2015

WINNING without talented midfielder Brett Deledio will be a sign Richmond is progressing as a football club, according to coach Damien Hardwick.

Deledio has missed seven games in the past two seasons and Richmond has won just two, both against the Brisbane Lions.

He will be missing again this week against Geelong as the Tigers look for a response from last week's loss to Melbourne, one which Hardwick described as insipid.

"That is the progression of a good footy club. We have just got to make sure the reality is when a player goes out we replace him with another one and we should be able to still win games," Hardwick said. 

The coach conceded that playing Deledio in round one against Carlton had not worked out well but said the call at the time had appeared to be the right one.

"I reckon 95 per cent of the time we make the right call. In hindsight, we probably say ‘yeah it was the wrong one,’" Hardwick said

The Tigers will welcome back key defender Troy Chaplin this weekend, while former skipper Chris Newman and running defender Dylan Grimes will be considered depending on how they test at training.

Hardwick said Chaplin's absence had exposed deficiencies in the Tigers’ defence.

"We felt we missed him enormously. He is a general down there, he marshals the troops and probably the disappointing thing for us is we lacked a bit of stability down there when he went out."

Key forward Ty Vickery is also a strong chance to return on Saturday.

Vickery has not played a senior game since round 18 last season when he was suspended for striking Eagles ruckman Dean Cox, but he shapes as the likely replacement for the injured Ben Griffiths after kicking four goals in the VFL.

Hardwick said he was pleased with the improvement the 24-year-old ruckman/forward had made when out of the senior side.

"Ty took some really strong contested marks, he's been working really hard defensively so we've been really pleased with his improved effort there," Hardwick said.

Richmond is under pressure to put in a strong performance but Hardwick was confident the response would come.

[The] proof will be in the pudding. It is not what we say, it is what we do," Hardwick said.

"They're a proud group."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-30/hardwick-to-make-big-changes-vickery-chaplin-likely

Offline Zlatan

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
"I reckon 95 per cent of the time we make the right call. In hindsight, we probably say ‘yeah it was the wrong one,’" Hardwick saidy

dont think so, twit for brains.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond’s Troy Chaplin to return as Tigers consider changes for clash with Geelong

Sam Edmund
Herald-Sun
April 30, 2015 12:31PM

TY VICKERY is poised to play his first game in nine months as Richmond looks to break a nine-year hoodoo against Geelong.

Vickery, out of the senior side since Round 18 last year, will be one of a raft of changes at Damien Hardwick’s selection table later today with Ben Griffiths sidelined by a calf injury.

“Ty Vickery is a chance,” Hardwick said today.

“He played well on the weekend, kicked four goals, took some strong contested marks and has been working really hard defensively so we’re pleased with his improved effort there.”

Veteran defender Troy Chaplin will return, while the club’s first draft pick Corey Ellis could make his AFL debut. Chris Newman and Dylan Grimes are also in contention, but Reece Conca is likely to make his comeback form a hamstring strain in the VFL.

“Troy Chaplin will come back in which is a good inclusion for us,” Hardwick said.

“We felt we missed him enormously, he’s a general down there, he marshals the troops. The disappointing thing from our point of view was we probably lacked a bit of stability without him.

“Chris Newman and Dylan Grimes, we’ll see how they get through training. We’re starting to get some players back which is important.”

But Brett Deledio won’t be one of them, with the influential midfielder still frustrated by a calf problem. The former No.1 draft pick ran laps away from the main group this morning, after Hardwick admitted it was a mistake to play him in Round 1.

“Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn’t it? We go into certain games and Brett’s the obvious example there, but there was a couple of other players on the edge who got through,” he said.

“From our point of view I reckon 95 per cent of the time we make the right call. In hindsight we’d probably say ‘Yeah, look, it was the wrong one’.

“At the end of the day we make an informed decision. The players generally got the best feeling of how they’re feeling. We warmed him up prior to that game, actually on the day, and he said he was right to go so we backed the player in and I’ll back him in again.”

Despite still not being back in full training, Hardwick said the injury was showing signs of improvement and was hopeful Deledio would be ready for Round 6.

Richmond hasn’t beaten Geelong since Round 9, 2006, when goals from Chris Hyde (4) and Troy Simmonds (3) got the Tigers over the line by 20 points at Simonds Stadium.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmonds-troy-chaplin-to-return-as-tigers-consider-changes-for-clash-with-geelong/story-fndv8t7m-1227327984449

--------------------------------------------------------

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick admits playing Brett Deledio in round one was a mistake

Ronny Lerner
The Age
April 30, 2015   12:28PM

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has admitted that playing star veteran Brett Deledio in round one was a mistake.

Deledio headed into the season-opener against Carlton with a suspect calf and aggravated the injury so badly that he will now miss a fourth game.

"Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it?" Hardwick said at Punt Road Oval before training on Thursday.

"There was a couple of other players on the edge who got through, so from our point of view I reckon 95 per cent of the time we make the right call.

"Look, in hindsight, we'd probably say, yeah, that was the wrong one."

Hardwick said Deledio was showing progress and he was hopeful the two-time best-and-fairest would be fit for the Tigers' round six meeting with North Melbourne.

"Obviously he's missed a fair bit of training and game play at the moment, so he will probably have a full week training next week and, hopefully, be available for selection," he said.

Hardwick stated a few weeks ago that Deledio had put his hand up to play against the Blues but denied he had shown too much faith in the 28-year-old's ability to gauge his fitness.

"At the end of the day, we can make an informed decision, but the player's generally got the best feeling how they're feeling," Hardwick said.

"We warmed him up prior to that game, actually on the day, and he said he was right to go, so we back the player in and I'll back him in again."

Richmond are coming off a disappointing 32-point loss to Melbourne and Hardwick, who described the effort as "insipid" post-match, said his players had got the message "in no uncertain terms" that those kind of efforts weren't up to standard.

He said they had responded well on the track this week but that the "proof will be in the pudding" on Saturday when they play Geelong.

"It's not what we say, it's what we do," Hardwick said.

"They've been great. One thing about this group is they're as disappointed in their performance as what I was and they're a proud group. We're better than that, but we've got an opportunity to show it this week."

Hardwick wasn't concerned that two teams which had finished below them on the ladder last year - Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs - had already beaten the Tigers this season and was confident the list was talented enough to take the next step and become a finals force.

"I think we're enormously talented, we've just got to harness that talent and get the best out of them," Hardwick said.

"We're strong and united here, we know exactly where we're at, we know what we've got to do.

"It's a methodical build, it takes time to make a good footy club. We're well on the way, but what we've got to do is - as far as I'm concerned every game is winnable - is make sure we take stock of that and deliver."

Geelong have assumed the role of Richmond's perennial tormentors, having won their past 10 encounters in a run that stretches back to 2006 and Hardwick said it was about time the Tigers turned the tables.

"They're 1-3 at the moment, they're a better side than that and we know that," he said.

"It's going to be a tough old game, they're going to have a bit of a sting in the tail as will we. We're really looking forward to the challenge."

Hardwick confirmed Richmond would regain key defender Troy Chaplin for the match while Tyrone Vickery, Chris Newman and Dylan Grimes were all in the frame to return as well.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-admits-playing-brett-deledio-in-round-one-was-a-mistake-20150430-1mwltc.html

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
“From our point of view I reckon 95 per cent of the time we make the right call. In hindsight we’d probably say ‘Yeah, look, it was the wrong one’.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
He just loves stats doesn't he. pee off  :thumbsdown
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I'm bracing myself for injury forced changes only.

ie. like for like swaps with Griffith, Drummond, and Hunt?

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Now that the sides have been named we can officially say a big stuffing bull poo to the changes

Only omissions were two kids that had had a run of one game in the top side

Morris, Grigg, Batch, Houli, Astbury FMD

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
The egg has officially cracked.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Now that the sides have been named we can officially say a big stuffing bull poo to the changes

Lloyd?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Lloyd?

Yeah add him in

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟

These gems just keep coming. George Bushisms for the 2010s
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Big changes... Lel
Go Tigers!

Hellenic Tiger

Massive changes.
For the worse bar Ellis and Lennon. FFS. :help