Author Topic: Hardwick's post-match media conference  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Hardwick's post-match media conference
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2015, 09:19:41 PM »
I'm absolutely mystified about Hardwick talking up the weak and disinterested efforts of Vickery.  Something must be happening on the field that I cannot see from my television set.  From my view, it looks like a half-hearted first effort, with no follow up after that.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2015, 09:24:31 PM »
I'm absolutely mystified about Hardwick talking up the weak and disinterested efforts of Vickery.  Something must be happening on the field that I cannot see from my television set.  From my view, it looks like a half-hearted first effort, with no follow up after that.

TV doesn't show the full story.  Maybe his off the ball work has improved or more likely Dimma is talking him up because he needs him until Griff gets better.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2015, 09:25:35 PM »

TV doesn't show the full story.  Maybe his off the ball work has improved or more likely Dimma is talking him up because he needs him until Griff gets better.

Vickery is pea heart plain and simple. He'll never be anything more.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2015, 09:30:47 PM »
Can't coach
We need 3 talls in F50
Like it or not
Have to play Hampson or McBean
End of story
When Maric goes off the ground we play one tall short up forward
That why we have so many inside 50 and can't score and can't take a contested mark
X2
Go Tigers!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2015, 09:32:32 PM »
Can't coach
We need 3 talls in F50
Like it or not
End of story
That why we have so many inside 50 and can't score and can't take a contested mark
X2

OMG Hampson LMAO

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2015, 09:33:08 PM »
Vickery looks like he needs confidence.

The problem is our team is so badly coached that all of our forwards have gone backwards over the past few years.

Riewoldt and Vickery are not the players they should have become.

Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2015, 09:34:37 PM »
Vickery looks like he needs confidence.

The problem is our team is so badly coached that all of our forwards have gone backwards over the past few years.

Riewoldt and Vickery are not the players they should have become.

Hampson will help LMAO

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2015, 10:07:28 PM »
Can't coach
We need 3 talls in F50
Like it or not
End of story

In DH defense, he has been openly saying he wants to play 3 talls. We just don't have the cattle and there's no point playing another tall if they're useless. Don't want to see Hampson in the team, all he'll do is take up space and allow the oppositions backs to run the ball out even more than they do now.

Its very true we don't have the cattle in particular down back, but thats partly Dimma's fault.  Look at what Bomber Thompson did in year as bombers coach, moved Hurley to defense and tried to find some other possie for Jake carlylse.  Dimma should have known we had to build a defense and get 100+ games into 6 or more talented players in the back half.  We're still building our defense with guys like Valstuin, Grimes and Astbury.  This is year 6 he's had his 100+ games, defense has not been a priority for Dimma from word go and that was his error, no on elses.
Griffiths could have been played down there while Vickery roamed in the front half or vice versa.
Instructions to the recruiting dept could have been find tall backs, I doubt it was ever said as a priority.

Backline is in much better shape than our forward line. That's where the priority should be. Not that our backline is in great shape but we at least have a solid back 6 if everyone's there

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2015, 10:50:03 PM »
Our backmen with games in brackets
Houli (118), Grimes(47), Batchelor(56), Chaplin(188), Rance(111), Astbury(39), Morris(69), Vlastuin(43), Pettard(84), Dea(31), Elton(1), Newman(255) and now Ellis(1).

Lids(215) was moved back there for a couple of years,
Post(30) hung around for years and never got anywhere.

Imports - Houli, Chaplin, Pettard

I would have thought our best back 6 are
Houli (118), Grimes(47), Chaplin(188), Rance(111), Astbury(39), Vlastuin(43) assuming Lids plays midfield
Which is still 60 games away from 100+ games.

I think games were wasted on Newman and Pettard given they wouldn't ever have formed the core back 6 when it is mature.  Also given Grimes and Astbury are injury prone  we ought to have one or two more talls with 40+ games.  Which we do in Dea and Post, who we dropped, and if we were really going to play lids back down there then why isn't he there now.  That wasted games from some other kid I reckon.  Maybe we would have dropped Post a year earlier and we'd have Dea on 50+.  It just hasn't been the number 1 priority.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2015, 12:08:09 AM »
Thought Vickery didn't have a real crack half the time, but to be honest his potential was quite teasing.

He can actually lead as a KPF very well, and so can Jack, if they're not farting around in the pockets.

If somebody could get Vickery to give 100% (unlikely IMO), get him some confidence in front of goal (possible) and deliver the ball to him properly (improbable) I think he'd be a good 3rd tall.

And with Griffiths in the team we'd not be down to one tall with Maric off the field.

Won't happen though...

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2015, 01:02:52 AM »
Breaking news - Vickery is still shyte.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Damien Hardwick disappointed by Richmond’s inability to stop opposition’s easy goals from centre bounces

Glenn McFarlane
Herald-Sun
May 02, 2015 7:01PM

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick lamented his team’s inability to curb opposition centre clearance goals this year as a “knife through your heart”.

While the Tigers were among the best in the competition in that regard last season, yet another lapse at the start of the final term against Geelong highlighted a worrying trend this year.

“We (were) AFL No.1 from centre bounce goals last year, and this year we are AFL (No.) 18,” Hardwick said after the nine-point loss to the Cats.

“We gave up four today and they are goals that are a knife through your heart. Unfortunately, they are easy goals ... to give up three in the last quarter took the game out of our reach.”

The Cats kicked three goals from centre clearances within the first five minutes of the last term, with Joel Selwood important after being well held early on.

“Our boys will rectify that, I’ve got no doubt, because we are normally very good at that,” he said.

“It is hard to keep good players (Selwood) down. I think he was involved in two of those centre bounce goals.

“He (Selwood) got them over the line (against Richmond) last year and he did it again today.”

Hardwick was satisfied with the effort and endeavour of his team yesterday, but maintained the execution still needs to be better ahead of Saturday’s clash with North Melbourne.

“Their attitude and intensity was pretty good, but it is the consistency we are looking for,” he said. “One week doesn’t settle that.”

“They (Geelong) had a 10- to 12-minute period (where) they dominated us on the scoreboard.”

He defended the decision to start David Astbury on Tom Hawkins, who kicked the first two goals of the game, saying that he had kept the Geelong forward goal-less last season.

“We backed Dave in and we would back him in again,” he said.

Hardwick made the change at quarter-time, pushing Alex Rance onto Hawkins, while Astbury eventually went forward to provide a contest.

Ben Griffiths (calf) is likely to return for Richmond this week, with Hardwick flagging that he might play three key forwards, saying Ty Vickery was still in the best Richmond 22.

“He (Griffiths) will be a chance, (Reece) Conca played today and (Brett) Deledio (calf), we will see how that goes,” Hardwick said of possible inclusion, though Deledio would be the least likely to play.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/damien-hardwick-disappointed-by-richmonds-inability-to-stop-oppositions-easy-goals-from-centre-bounces/story-fndv8t7m-1227332017602

Giving up three goals from direct centre clearances in the last quarter, and not capitalising on the momentum the Tigers’ generated in the second quarter were other issues that irked Hardwick.

"Zero [goals] five [behinds], unfortunately you kick that and you don't actually put the opposition on the back foot at any stage.

"It's something we've been working on but we've just got to make sure we continue to get better in that area because you never get your nose in front.

"Overall, I thought their attitude and intensity was pretty good but it's the consistency we're looking for. One week doesn't settle it."

The Tigers could be bolstered by Brett Deledio next week, who said in a pre-match radio interview on ABC Radio he was hopeful of returning from a calf injury.

Hardwick wouldn’t apologise for the Tigers playing an attacking style that could result in turnovers.

"It's the way we're going to play. We're going to be attacking, we're going to be bold and unfortunately we're going to turn the ball over in certain situations also," he said.

"We've just got to make sure we continue to be clean inside 50. We had a number of opportunities when we had players out and for whatever reason we just botched them.

"We've been training it, we'll continue to train it and eventually it will click."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-02/damien-hardwick-postmatch

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick lamented his team’s inability to curb opposition centre clearance goals this year as a “knife through your heart”.

Richmond fans lamented Damien Hardwicks inability to coach his team
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline sugark

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2015, 08:32:32 AM »
It's so embarrassing that Dimma tried to cover up his enormous mistake by playing Astbury on Hawkins ahead of the AA Full Back in Rance, by saying Astbury played well on Hawkins last year! Please Dimma, that was 12 months ago, surely you see what we see and Astbury isn't a patch on what he was in the first 8-9 rounds of last year. The result of such a ludicrous decision was 2 goals inside the first 10 minutes and guess what, game over Dimma.  Trying to cover that decision up with the comments about 3 centre clearance goals at the start of the last is just simply rot and you are now bringing this club to its knees at a time that it should be succeeding, please do us all a favour and p off

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame

“It is hard to keep good players (Selwood) down. I think he was involved in two of those centre bounce goals.

“He (Selwood) got them over the line (against Richmond) last year and he did it again today.”

:banghead :banghead :banghead And who's fault was that?! Everyone know's Selwood can turn it on and drive his team and this is when he is most dangerous and Hardwick takes Grigg off him