Author Topic: ‘We can match it with any team’ - Dustin Martin ..... (Herald-Sun/Age)  (Read 1960 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin believes Richmond can ‘match it with any team’ after back-to-back wins

John Ralph
Herald-Sun
May 30, 2015

TIGERS star Dustin Martin says his team believes they can beat anyone in the AFL, as long as they play to the Richmond brand.

The Tigers run into an Essendon side celebrating Dustin Fletcher’s 400th match at the Dreamtime at the ‘G contest, with the Bombers sure to be on an emotional high.

Martin told the Herald Sun the Tigers had always been confident they could rebound from a 2-4 start if they backed in Damien Hardwick’s methods.

“I think the competition is so even that results are getting harder to pick. We are going into every game knowing that if we play our best we can match it with any team,’’ he said.

“It is so even that if you’re off by 5 per cent you can get jumped and we know that we need to be playing our brand of team football every week. If we do that we can match any side.

“We know its going to be a big game and Essendon will want to perform for their club legend. Of course we need to be on our game early and take it right up to Essendon.”

Martin played closer to goal last year, winning a handful of matches with 27 goals from his 22 games.

This year he has moved further afield, his improving fitness base honed by another off-season of running that included pounding the pavement during a Las Vegas holiday.

“The standards the group set means that you need to be doing extra to keep improving. I think everyone can always improve and get their fitness to another level, myself included,” he said.

Once a shy, guarded first-year draftee, Martin is coming out of his shell and this week launched a Puma sneaker campaign through Foot Locker.

Part of that includes an Instagram selfie campaign, and while Martin is only easing into sponsorships says social media can be a positive tool.

“My management group have been doing a lot of work with me and have targeted specific brands that I feel I can contribute to,’’ he said.

“We are briefed as a club on the dangers of social media if used incorrectly and of course there are people out there who like to take cheap shots at other people but I think it can be used in a positive way to interact with fans and reach out to brands.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/dustin-martin-believes-richmond-can-match-it-with-any-team-after-back-to-back-wins/story-fndv8t7m-1227375006596

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond midfielder Dustin Martin urges teammates to keep roaring

Jon Pierik
      The Age
    May 30, 2015

Richmond midfielder Dustin Martin has urged his teammates to keep building momentum, heading into the mid-season break.

The Tigers have rebooted their season in the past fortnight with a tough win over Collingwood and a stunning effort against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval, the latter going some way to erasing the horrible memory of last year's thumping elimination-final loss.

Their next task is Saturday night's Dreamtime at the G clash against Essendon, which will also be Dustin Fletcher's 400th match, with a trip to Perth to face an unbeaten Fremantle capping the opening half of the season.

Martin, who has enjoyed a strong campaign, says the Tigers must maintain their intensity.

"We need to keep playing to our strengths and gain some momentum before the bye. It's a big game this week, Dreamtime at the G always brings a huge crowd, and we know they will come out firing for Fletcher's 400th," he said.

The recent wins have eased the pressure on coach Damien Hardwick, who it's felt must win at least one final this season to retain his job despite having a year remaining on his contract.

"We all love Dimma and back our coach in 100 per cent," Martin said.

Martin had 29 disposals against the Power and 26 against the Magpies, highlighting his importance to the side either through the midfield or up forward.

He said "weight of numbers through everyone playing their role" had been crucial to the Tigers taking control in the middle of the ground. This includes the strong form of Shaun Grigg and Brandon Ellis.

"We just played as a team and took the game on," said Martin, promoting a Foot Locker and Puma sneaker promotion.

One player crucial to the Tigers' hopes is vice-captain Brett Deledio.  When he has played the Tigers have won half of their games (52 per cent) while without him they have only won a quarter of their matches (25 per cent).

Deledio was relatively quiet in his return from injury in the loss to North Melbourne in Hobart but has responded with stirring performances against the Magpies (30 disposals, two goals) and Port (28 disposals, one goal).

Martin acknowledged Deledio's importance to any hope the eighth-placed Tigers have of returning to the finals.

"Of course, we are a better side when Brett is fit and firing, he can play all over the ground and gives the opposition headaches each week," he said.

The Tigers have made one change ahead of the Bombers clash, with forward-ruckman Ty Vickery (ankle) being replaced by Liam McBean.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmond-midfielder-dustin-martin-urges-teammates-to-keep-roaring-20150529-ghceeu.html

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Any team can 'believe' what they want and 'matching' other teams doesn't mean beating them. It means being competitive.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Any team that relies on one person is not going to win a flag anytime soon

Forget Lids, imagine if Jack breaks down
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
I love Dusty but I cringe a little everytime I see his name in a media appearance.

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
Any team can 'believe' what they want and 'matching' other teams doesn't mean beating them. It means being competitive.

It wasnt that many years ago that was all anybody here wanted.  "I dont care if we win or lose as long as we have a crack" was the common call.

With improved performance come higher expectations, now-days if you say the above you are an apologist and "accepting mediocrity".

Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Really comfortable with Dusty having a bigger media role.  Shows his maturity is improving at all levels and it is really obvious on game day.

Offline Zlatan

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Really comfortable with Dusty having a bigger media role.  Shows his maturity is improving at all levels and it is really obvious on game day.

speaks well now  :o