Author Topic: Crazy Trade Idea!  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Crazy Trade Idea!
« on: September 17, 2005, 08:04:13 PM »
Don't know why this game to me, but it did, i wasn't even really thinking about footy before and then i got this idea!

First off Gehrig retires, so the saints need a FF, and are eyeing a premiership now, so will go out and get one.

In comes Fevola.

Carlton want a top 8 pick for him (they've actually already said that).

St Kilda offer Goddard, their 16th pick, and maybe some other young player as a bit of a filler.

Carlton tell saints were to go and for them to go get a high pick.

St Kilda play hardball but eventually go out and try to get a pick.

In comes Richmond with thier 8th pick and the talking begins.

After Miller realises that the saints aren't going to trade Reiwoldt (LOL  :'() they get down to business and come up with this:

Carlton Trade: Fevola
Carlton Receive: Pick 8, Knobel (if they aren't satisfied with only pick 8 )

St Kilda Trade: Goddard, Pick 16
St Kilda Receive: Fevola

Richmond Trade: Pick 8, Knobel?
Richmond Receive: Goddard, Pick 16

Now, i am not exactly a fan of Goddard, however we all know how much Wallace likes/loves/ejaculates over athletes, and despite Goddard shortcomings he is uber-athletic and does have some raw talent.

Maybe a change of scenery, and less pressure to perform as a no.1 pick, might see him shine.

Personally i'd love to have Kozi, but saints won't give him up for that price, and he probably doesn't suit our needs anyway, as he'd get in the way of Schulz and Pattison.

Thoughts?

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Crazy Trade Idea!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 08:16:53 PM »
Unless we got a KPP (e.g. Sam Fisher) from St. Kilda, I would rather see us take the best tall available at 8 in the draft.

I'm also thinking Pagan might be under a little pressure not to bring in any more recycled players. Taking Knobel would be taking a player who has not proven a great deal at 3 previous clubs. But yeah, I think we should keep an eye on it. St. Kilda are going to be desperate. Their window is on the turn. They will probably lose Harvey, possibly Gehrig, Jones or Thompson. I think they have had the best list in the land for two seasons - but Thomas is an ordinary coach and he must be starting to realise that he needs real results soon.

Pagan on the other hand needs to start moving the Blues up the ladder. They really lack a core. Their best players are woefully unreliable. He can't keep hiding behind the salary cap discretion excuse. If he fails at Carlton then obviously people are going to wonder whether he really was a magician at North, or whether he just had the right bunch of players.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 08:35:06 PM »
I only included Knobel in there, just incase Carlton wanted more then pick 8 for Fevola, and considering Carltons ruck stocks are pretty bad.

I thought about throwing a Blake or Fisher in, but i was trying to be as realistic as possible as to what Wallace would prefer to get.

Perhaps blues could get the saints 16th pick aswell, but that would require refining my trade idea, and i CBF right now.

I would be a pretty good sell to the supporters though if they could pull that off, Picks 1, 4, 8 and 16!  :o

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 09:30:07 PM »
I only included Knobel in there, just incase Carlton wanted more then pick 8 for Fevola, and considering Carltons ruck stocks are pretty bad.

Yeah fair point, although I still reckon Carlton would be very reluctant to take anyhting but one of our top-liners. Having taken Scotland, French, Teague etc, I can't imagine Carlton fans being ecstatic if Pagan went after say Tivendale or Chaffey!

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 09:36:30 PM »

Yeah fair point, although I still reckon Carlton would be very reluctant to take anyhting but one of our top-liners. Having taken Scotland, French, Teague etc, I can't imagine Carlton fans being ecstatic if Pagan went after say Tivendale or Chaffey!
I think you may be overrating Fevola's value, and undervaluing how desperate Carlton are to cut back on player payments.

We COULD give them Coughlan, but then St Kilda would have to give up something im pretty sure they don't want to.

Blues have said in the media they are looking for a top 8 pick for Fevola, they don't want to shed his contract and pick up another one similar to his.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 02:30:16 AM »
IMO we get dudded in that deal. Goddard is not what we need so we'd be basically giving up pick 8 + an ordinary tall for pick 16 + an ordinary small. We might as well ask for Fiora back :o if we want someone to run around without a footy brain avoiding contests.

Rather we try to get higher picks if we're going to trade our first pick:

Richmond: Tivendale + picks 8,24 & 40 -> picks 4,16 & 32

St Kilda: Goddard + picks 16 & 32 -> Fevola + pick 40

Carlton: Fevola + pick 4 -> Tivendale, Goddard + picks 8 & 24.

I don't reckon Carlton would buy it but they'd get 2 guys who'd fit straight into their best 22 now, offload Fevola's huge salary freeing up $$$, keep 2 top 10 draft picks plus get four picks in the first 24 of the draft to rebuild via youth - picks 1,8,20 & 24. Saints get Fevola to replace Gehrig.  We get 2 first round draft picks.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 03:28:15 AM »
IMO we get dudded in that deal. Goddard is not what we need so we'd be basically giving up pick 8 + an ordinary tall for pick 16 + an ordinary small. We might as well ask for Fiora back :o if we want someone to run around without a footy brain avoiding contests.

I don't reckon Carlton would buy it but they'd get 2 guys who'd fit straight into their best 22 now, offload Fevola's huge salary freeing up $$$, keep 2 top 10 draft picks plus get four picks in the first 24 of the draft to rebuild via youth - picks 1,8,20 & 24. Saints get Fevola to replace Gehrig.  We get 2 first round draft picks.

How about being realistic?

That is a shocker, bigfooty stuff right there!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 05:33:25 AM »

How about being realistic?

That is a shocker, bigfooty stuff right there!

LOL that's true (I was just following the title of this thread :thumbsup). But it's on par with us giving up a top 10 pick  just to get a dud like Goddard when there's 3-4 decent young KPPs likely to go in the top 10 of the draft.

If we can't pull off something to good to pass on trading our first pick then we should forget it. We're not a charity for Carlton and St Kilda.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005, 10:50:16 AM »
Greg Tivendale, Mark Chaffey and Pick 24 to Essendon
Pick 7 and 39 to Richmond from Essendon

I doubt any of the bottom three will give away any of the top 6 picks

this would leave us with 7, 8, 39 and 40

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005, 12:29:51 PM »
LOL that's true (I was just following the title of this thread :thumbsup). But it's on par with us giving up a top 10 pick  just to get a dud like Goddard when there's 3-4 decent young KPPs likely to go in the top 10 of the draft.

If we can't pull off something to good to pass on trading our first pick then we should forget it. We're not a charity for Carlton and St Kilda.

You have to understand though, Goddard has trade value.

First off his still only 20 1/2.

Former no.1 pick.

Uber-athleticism.

He isn't as bad as a player that some people make him out to be.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 08:17:48 PM »
You have to understand though, Goddard has trade value.

First off his still only 20 1/2.

Former no.1 pick.

Uber-athleticism.

He isn't as bad as a player that some people make him out to be.

No doubt Goddard has trade value because he was a No 1. pick (in the poorest draft of recent times mind you), had a couple of stand-out games and averages 13-15 disposals per game over his 3 years in the AFL in a top 4 side. But IMO he is just an average player and not worth our top 10 pick. We need KPPs and goalkicking ballwinning  midfielders not another flanker. They are a dime a dozen and can be picked up with 2nd, 3rd and even 4th round  picks. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 08:33:36 PM »
Greg Tivendale, Mark Chaffey and Pick 24 to Essendon
Pick 7 and 39 to Richmond from Essendon

I doubt any of the bottom three will give away any of the top 6 picks

this would leave us with 7, 8, 39 and 40

Where do we sign?  :thumbsup  ;D

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005, 09:31:09 PM »
your not implying that id be trying to rip of the bombers now mightytiges. Im a gentleman in my dealings...always :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 10:33:18 PM »
your not implying that id be trying to rip of the bombers now mightytiges. Im a gentleman in my dealings...always :lol

:lol

You always got to watch the quiet ones RT  :rollin.